Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  52
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW R5 Game Day: Bulldogs v North Melbourne @ Punt Rd

Poor fan experience for a lot of the crowd. They had so many punt road helpers and none of it was very effective. I had to access ticket from dogs’ tent, entered via closest gate then at quarter time leave ground and walk right around through boggy ground to access seated area in one of the little grandstand areas. Then at end of game we had to wait an inordinate amount of time until after dogs players went up race (considerably more then 5 min before they even started going up race and then a delay after they’d already passed by). Poorly managed.

Still, the rain held off until after the match so count my blessings there. Consoled myself with a baguette and danishes to take home. And saw a delightful kookaburra in gardens on my way home. A good day despite the loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Disappointing that whoever was wearing 16 couldn't stick that tackle, just bounced off of the North player.
    Ferris a solid player.

That shithole of a ground was a joke. Lock out at half time, no seating, no views for kids and everyone jammed into about 30% of the ground.

Treating us like Buffoons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ferris a solid player.

That shithole of a ground was a joke. Lock out at half time, no seating, no views for kids and everyone jammed into about 30% of the ground.

Treating us like Buffoons.
    Just as bad at VFL games. Not sure why they schedule any games there as it is basically a training ground
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Just as bad at VFL games. Not sure why they schedule any games there as it is basically a training ground
    I’m not keen on taking my daughter there again, we were lucky to find a milk crate today so she could see over the seemingly 7 foot tall fence.

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tigez a big club being looked after by the AFLW. It actually gives me some pleasure knowing Brennan and Conti have to play all their home games in this poxy dunghole in front of tiny crowds.

8. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's another reason why expansion has occurred far too quickly. Clubs should not have been admitted to the competition without having decent grounds for fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    It's another reason why expansion has occurred far too quickly. Clubs should not have been admitted to the competition without having decent grounds for fans.
    It's also about the clubs disrespecting and underestimating their aflw fans. I don't know why any club in an elite competition would ever play at a ground with a capacity of 2,500!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Highlight of the match was definitely our coast to coast goal finishing with Wilcox in the goal square.

Definitely lacked the aerial dominance we have had, which stopped us controlling possession for periods as we have been doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Highlight of the match was definitely our coast to coast goal finishing with Wilcox in the goal square.

Definitely lacked the aerial dominance we have had, which stopped us controlling possession for periods as we have been doing.
    Best play of the day. Ellie and Wilcox almost lit the spark late to steal the game too.

Post Thanks / Like

Official crowd: 2121.

Turning to the match itself, our forwards struggled to mark the ball or win many contests and Norths core star group (particularly Garner and Bruton) were collectively too good.

Lynch had another fine game and was easily best afield for us I thought.

I'm not expecting too many changes for our next game which is going to be a hard one against a much improved Geelong. Bateman or Coyne in for Lagioia (who is struggling at the level) in a half forward role is what I expect.

14. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also difficult to see the scoreborad if you are facing the ground and the board is to your right. Branches of a gum tree hide the view
    You think a cashed up club like the tigers could afford an arborist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Poor fan experience for a lot of the crowd. They had so many punt road helpers and none of it was very effective. I had to access ticket from dogs’ tent, entered via closest gate then at quarter time leave ground and walk right around through boggy ground to access seated area in one of the little grandstand areas. Then at end of game we had to wait an inordinate amount of time until after dogs players went up race (considerably more then 5 min before they even started going up race and then a delay after they’d already passed by). Poorly managed.

Still, the rain held off until after the match so count my blessings there. Consoled myself with a baguette and danishes to take home. And saw a delightful kookaburra in gardens on my way home. A good day despite the loss.
    Unlikely to see this in a write up after a game at Marvel.... cheers josie!

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the replay.

I thought Lynch and Grant held up well at the back.
    Our kicking into the forward line was fairly ordinary at times. Didn't really give Newton, Moody and Cranston much of a chance.
    i liked the games of Bennetts and Edmonds.
    The dynamic duo gave their all as usual.
    Fitzy drops out of the action at times and her disposal can let her down but still very young.

I'm sure Burkey will tell them not to drop their heads and that they were right in the match till late. Had such a great start to the season that it's important to bounce back with the four points against the cats. Go Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

I went.

Despite the supposed sell-out I was able to purchase tix on the train on the way to the ground.

There were two entrances, but seemingly only one in operation...it was quite strange. No queue to get in once we got to the 'correct' gate.

The viewing experience is - if anything - being understated on this forum. You quite literally could not see the game - well...you could see 'bits'. It was annoying. Then the drinks stand closed half-way through the last...when can you not buy a bottle of water? How hard is it? Seriously, the spectators OUTSIDE the ground had better viewing than those inside...at least there was a bollard behind the fence that they could stand on.

The game? Both teams try pretty hard. I'm battling with the AFLW so far this season and yesterday sort of reinforced that. Great effort is amazing when you are able to develop a personal connection to the players...as I noted in the off-season, all the player movement has broken some of that for me and now, well, some of it (as I prepared to be placed in the stocks) is simply bad footy.

I'm only in town for a few days and am glad I got to go along and support the girls but watching footy at Punt Rd is not an experience I would recommend to anyone.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

The game? Both teams try pretty hard. I'm battling with the AFLW so far this season and yesterday sort of reinforced that. Great effort is amazing when you are able to develop a personal connection to the players...as I noted in the off-season, all the player movement has broken some of that for me and now, well, some of it (as I prepared to be placed in the stocks) is simply bad footy.

I'm only in town for a few days and am glad I got to go along and support the girls but watching footy at Punt Rd is not an experience I would recommend to anyone.
    The prerequisite for avoiding the stocks is showing up and engaging. You’re in a safe space!

Agree with your point about connection with the players, the movement has hurt and this season is probably the turning point on that front. The lens on the game definitely shifts when you invest in following the individual development as well as the teams.

Just add to the “bad footy” view. There’s definitely moments of frustration when we see an avenue to goal wasted with a lack of dare, or a simple skill error, but in context, those experiences exist at every level of the game. We’ve got enough of it under our belts to know roughly what the range of game styles look like and can go in and make judgments based on reasonable expectations around this competition, on its own. So we can and should feel free to notice and discuss bad footy in this competition, but it should be based on this competition. That’s the measure of good faith here for me.

We might not get the quick, clinical movement and assured marking of the men. But we do get the excitement of defenders coming up to the contest to meet the ball, speedsters breaking lines, rewards for taking grass and keeping the ball moving to advantage and I suspect everyone’s favourite part: fierce physical contact. Goals are more valuable. Points too. Contested marking is a huge factor in whether you win or not. Every contest has a higher emphasis on an individual win.

Yesterday there was a great example of Bennets, Lynch, Lamb and Wilcox winning the footy out wide and they kept going down the line. Series of three or four contests giving it back and getting it back playing a tactic that is supposed to work (in mens footy). They finally shortened it up, took a risk to run and carry and get the overlap. It was chaotic and a scramble. Next kick was to advantage and Blackburn won a free. Wilcox scores in that chain and we look like stealing the W. Not to be. But an example of how good footy didn’t look like what we expect good footy to look like.

22. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post