Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I guess it's a now case of put up or shut up.

Just as others on this forum decry posts mentioning "woke", I sense something rotten in Denmark when things are mentioned as
    "their truth", rather than "the truth".
    Don't know why you've put that in quotes. Literally no one here has said that. I looked and can't find that anywhere so please quote where that was said earlier if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Don't know why you've put that in quotes. Literally no one here has said that. I looked and can't find that anywhere so please quote where that was said earlier if I'm wrong.
    I dunno man you sound pretty woke.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I dunno man you sound pretty woke.
    FWIW some respect for the D man who I did see give what seemed to me to be a pretty honest read of the legal action in the second half of the now deleted post. If he was as rusted on and dogmatic as I initially thought I'd expect a different response.

5. Thanks EasternWest, D Mitchell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look, the main thing is that if anyone in the industry experiences mistreatment over matters of race they should promptly feel the crushing weight of futility, and fear, if they're ever tempted to seek accountability and redress.

On that front, the process has been a thunderous success.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

No adverse findings in a process where nobody - complainant or respondent - got interviewed doesn’t tell us anything. It can’t be an exoneration in those circumstances, nothing has been proved or disproved, all that has happened is that a completely inept process trusted by none of the participants - so what on earth did the panel actually do for 8 months? - fell over. At a ludicrous cost in all senses of the word.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently some of the families involved have spoken out today about taking things to the Human Rights Commission, and if still unsatisfied to the federal court.

I think Clarkson, Fagan and Burt will ultimately regret stonewalling a process that was likely to treat them more favourably than its alternatives.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Apparently some of the families involved have spoken out today about taking things to the Human Rights Commission, and if still unsatisfied to the federal court.

I think Clarkson, Fagan and Burt will ultimately regret stonewalling a process that was likely to treat them more favourably than its alternatives.
    Fagan's written response felt oddly out of touch to me.
    Not sure how to read it, the complete push back was very interesting though.
    Can't blame him for wanting to separate himself from it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    No adverse findings in a process where nobody - complainant or respondent - got interviewed doesn’t tell us anything. It can’t be an exoneration in those circumstances, nothing has been proved or disproved, all that has happened is that a completely inept process trusted by none of the participants - so what on earth did the panel actually do for 8 months? - fell over. At a ludicrous cost in all senses of the word.
    It felt like:

Big rich organisation wants to do things according to their world, just happens that the aggrieved neither live in that pretend space or trust it.

Why won't they subscribe to our processes?

If you think about it the paradigm is frightening

Post Thanks / Like

The families at the centre of the Hawthorn racism scandal have been revealed as their case heads to the Australian Human Rights commission.
    A letter from the families of Cyril Rioli, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Carl Peterson and former staffer Leon Egan have described their eight-month-long ordeal as a “public s**tshow” none of them deserved.

“We are some of the Indigenous families who endured racism at the Hawthorn Football Club,” the letter states.
    “We were separated from our families.
    “We were told an unborn child would ruin our futures.
    “We were treated as special projects and control of our lives was taken from us. We told our truths in confidence, because we believed that it would bring change. And because we needed to heal and move on.
    “That confidence was betrayed.”

The letter states that the parties at the centre of the allegations, including current North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson, current Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan and Jason Burt will be subject to proceedings in the Human Rights Commission to “listen to the truths that they don’t want to hear.”
    Clarkson coached Hawthorn from 2004 to 2021 and won four premierships with the club, while Fagan was an assistant coach before becoming the club’s general manager of football from 2008 to 2016.
    Burt was Hawthorn’s head of player services and football administration from 2006 to 2016, and then the general manager of football after Fagan.
    All three have denied any wrongdoing.
    The letter states that if conciliation action in the Commission fails, that the families will pursue “the Federal Court, where we will tell our truths in the witness box.
    “But they will hear us one way or another.”
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

13. Thanks jeemak, josie thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The entire text of the letter is here:
    Open letter from Carl Peterson, Cyril Rioli, Shannyn Ahsam-Rioli, Jermaine and Montanah Miller-Lewis and Leon Egan
    We are some of the Indigenous families who endured racism at the Hawthorn Football Club.
    We were separated from our families.
    We were told an unborn child would ruin our futures.
    We were treated as special projects and control of our lives was taken from us. We told our truths in confidence, because we believed that it would bring change. And because we needed to heal and move on.
    That confidence was betrayed.
    We never asked for money.
    All we ever wanted was to sit with the coaches and officials we looked up to, and who had such control over our lives and our futures, and make them understand what we heard.
    What impact it had on our lives.
    And to listen to them tell us their own truths – even why they thought they were helping us.
    And we are gutted that these so-called AFL role models weren’t prepared to listen to our truths through mediation. We have always had the courage to listen to their truths too. That is our way.
    We were never scared of being named. We were never scared of what they would throw at us. We were worried about impacts on others. It doesn’t change our truth.
    None of us deserved this public shitshow – including them.
    But they have made their choice, and we will now bring them to a Human Rights Commission conciliation to listen to the truths that they don‘t want to hear. And if they still won’t listen and learn then it will end up in the Federal Court where we will tell our truths in the witness box. But they will hear us one way or another.
    We also believe that with the passing of time that the Hawthorn Football Club will acknowledge that our suffering and pain was real.
    We reached an agreement with the AFL not out of fear, but strength, because the AFL finally apologised to all First Nations players for racism in football.
    They acknowledged our pain and hurt when we were at Hawthorn. They made a legally binding promise to us to combat racism in football. And the game will be safer for all First Nations families because of it.
    These blokes who changed the course of our lives have never been exonerated by the AFL. The Panel never made any findings because it was shut down.
    We previously allowed these people to use their power to control our lives. It should never happen again.
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

15. Thanks GVGjr, josie, Scraggers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, brave of them to come forward. They're going to cop a lot of shit from people online and certain parts of the media. Good luck to them is all I can really say.

17. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an escalation, isn't it?

Extremely brave of them to put themselves out there.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Attack ‘anonymous’ leakers… then… Now attack one of the most popular indigenous players of the last 20 years with an iconic status and family name in AFEL history. And a Hawthorn premiership legend. Different now, huh?

Good on Cyril for putting his name to it publicly. Impossible for the media to not report every little thing now and cut out the crap around the issues and story. This is an icon of the game with his balls on the line. I can see now why it took the AFEL so long to try to wallpaper over it now knowing family ‘Rioli’ is front and centre. Arguably one of the greatest indigenous families the league has ever had. This won’t be going away, and hopefully something positive can come from their experiences.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes hujsh, josie, EasternWest, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s actually rather heartbreaking. As I’ve mentioned before a legalistic process was completely the wrong choice. They asked for a sit down process, to be heard. And look what happened instead.
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

22. Likes hujsh, jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The line "these blokes that changed the course of our lives" seems a direct ping at the boys club bloke culture to me.

Fair line in the sand moment.