Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

All of a sudden, a quadruple premiership player, Norm Smith medallist and three time All Australian is a part of the picture.

Simply by publicly putting pen to paper, Cyril stacks a heap of credibility into these allegations.

If Jeff Kennett knows what's good for him, he'll never set foot in the Hawthorn Football Club again.

And Clarkson, Fagan and Burt look like arseholes for refusing to come to the table.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kennet's not racist. He's just an average guy with a Golliwog collection who calls one of his Golliwogs Buddy after an indigenous footballer.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes EasternWest, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Don't conflate things. We may not know who is making the accusations but Clarkson and Fagan know full well. This is a strong handed threat to silence these people who I don't blame for not wanting any further part in the AFL Boondoggle.

It's a great message to anyone else who feel they've been discriminated against too. 'Know your place'
    This a great advertisement AGAINST whistleblowing.

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, Russell Jackson totally made it all up.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes EasternWest, jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot to take in from all that.

1. I can't beleive the AFL still hadn't finished their investigation. Was it just an excuse to pay some good blokes to sit around?

2. I'm glad it was closed because of an agreement reached with the families involved though I'm not sure what good a legally binding promise to do better does when a massive entity like the AFL is involved or in what ways such a thing can be legally binding. I hope it's more meaningful than I think and it's just me ignorance of the law keeping me from appreciating what that means.

3. Kind of amazing that the Clarkson and Fagan didn't even need to give an account to the investigation, they just needed to sit and listen to the former players and family about what impact their actions had on their lives and that was still too much for them to handle. It sounds like the approach someone suggested earlier in the thread (was it mjp?)

4. I wonder how much seeing these names will change public perception. Especially Cyril. It's pretty clear this is what fed into his shock retirement and disillusion with AFL.You can point to something and say the game was made tangibly worse for spectators by the actions of these men just though Cyril's retirement alone. He's 33. He could well be playing up to this day.

5. I'm glad to see it spelled out that no one was exonerated since people would of course run with that. Whether through deliberate obfuscation or just a genuine misunderstanding

Lastly is this what Jeanette54 was referring to with the 'my truths' comment? Was that too early to be referring to this letter? Was that just a crazy coincidence? Is she psychic? I think we have another story on our hands here

12. Likes mjp, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I mean, Russell Jackson totally made it all up.
    Damn abc lefties!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad Rioli et al have come forward and put a name to the process. I am more glad they have quantified their initial purpose for coming forward. It’s not about money, it never was. Let us explain to you how your actions have implications.

Clarkson/Fagan If you’re not willing to sit down and first listen, and then discuss … maybe the allegations of racism have some credence.
    WOOF Member 422

15. Likes EasternWest, Topdog, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 thing I cant really understand about the people defending Clarko and co is that at BEST they are really shit blokes in this situation.

17. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    1 thing I cant really understand about the people defending Clarko and co is that at BEST they are really shit blokes in this situation.
    They are also gutless not to face up to the players and families involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yes, exactly. As in, the version of events put forward by Jason Burt where he and two senior coaches arrived to “help” one of their young players break up with his girlfriend…and this is normal?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They are also gutless not to face up to the players and families involved.
    Unless you and Topdog know a lot more about the Hawthorn indigenous controversy than what's appeared in the media, you can't reasonably draw the distasteful conclusions about the characters of Clarkson and/or Fagan that appear in the immediately preceding 2 posts. Fagan asserts that he's legally represented, it's reasonable to presume that he's obtained advice on his stand, in all likelihood, Clarkson too. The consequences of the most recent enquiry into racism at an AFL club might caution participants, the President lost his job. There are a number of posters openly and enthusiastically barracking for the indigenous families, even though probably no better informed than any of us I can't identify anyone "defending Clarko and co", unless urging caution and/or warning about assumptions constitutes defending. Next step is the Human Rights Commission which I think is investigative rather than judicial and probably conducts its processes in camera.

21. Likes Grantysghost, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post.

We need to keep it balanced.

It's hard to know why they allegedly didn't engage in mediation.

Worst case they didn't want to face it.

Best, just not thinking it's worth their time.

Even for the world's biggest moderate (me)... I find it pretty hard to argue there's nothing to it.

Personally I don't like Clarkson.

Fagan seems like a good character.

Must be close to untenable his position though with players like Cameron most likely pretty upset.

Terrible.

23. Likes GVGjr, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Good post.

We need to keep it balanced.

It's hard to know why they allegedly didn't engage in mediation.

Worst case they didn't want to face it.

Best, just not thinking it's worth their time.

Even for the world's biggest moderate (me)... I find it pretty hard to argue there's nothing to it.

Personally I don't like Clarkson.

Fagan seems like a good character.

Must be close to untenable his position though with players like Cameron most likely pretty upset.

Terrible.
    there was something in the media about some documents that the coaches hadn't received. Fagan's just appointed to a job, probably close to $1mil per year. This and public ignomy. He'd be following legal advice.

25. Likes Grantysghost liked this post