Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

This is an interesting development, or sideshow depending on how you look at it:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...22-p5c885.html

“I categorically deny that I have stolen from the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative (MVAC) in any way whatsoever. At all times I have acted with honesty, integrity and in the best interests of the MVAC,” Egan wrote in a statement.

He claimed the emergence of such allegations were an attempt to undermine the integrity of the ongoing AFL investigation into allegations of racism at the Hawks between 2008-2016, which is based on information in the report he provided to Hawthorn.

“Regardless of these slurs against my name, I am extremely confident that this dog whistling will in no way diminish or discredit the entirely separate and independent investigation commissioned by the AFL and led by Mr Bernard Quinn, KC, and which I have no involvement,” Egan wrote. “To try to dismantle that process by destroying my reputation will, I suspect, be as futile as it is outrageous.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/12/...ommence-legal/

“I categorically deny that I have stolen from the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative (MVAC) in any way whatsoever. At all times I acted with honesty, integrity and in the best interests of the MVAC,” he wrote.

“The article states the alleged matters occurred more than 10 years ago. But despite the very historical nature of the alleged wrongdoing and the police investigation having been underway for several months, I have not once been contacted by Victoria Police in relation to the allegations.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as a move to attack the credibility of the original investigation may be a means to distract from a lack of depth or conclusiveness of the ongoing one.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its poor no matter which way you look at it. To dredge up allegation from 10 years ago and infer that they are somehow current is a dog act.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turning into a soap opera now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Turning into a soap opera now.
    Anything else reported?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Anything else reported?
    The only thing that's happened and been reported on is Christmas, which was the apparent yardstick to getting this thing done and dusted.

The AFL and Hawthorn are *!*!*!*!ed here. If there was anything positive to report to this point it'd be out and we'd be bathing in it right now.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Anything else reported?
    Nothing you can put your finger on. There is some concern amongst some Traditional Owner groups that Indigenous activists may try to leverage either the AFL or use the Hawthorn racism allegations for political purposes or financial compensation thereby diluting the trajectory of the current investigations but I can't say which parties / groups are concerned about this.

Also that the allegations leading all the way back to Rioli and Kennett have hurt Hawthorn's reputation and many Traditional Owner groups and Aboriginal people in general are wary and lack trust in Hawthorn at the moment.

It's a word on the street kinda thing I'm getting as opposed to any firm reports but I am fairly connected with Traditional Owner groups generally and the investigation has been discussed at length internally. I also coach and provide safety sessions (correct tackling procedures / safety in falling / picking up the ball etc.) with the Yarra Junior Footy League so I hear heaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty ballsy posting what you have 1ED. Thank you, it's much appreciated.

The latest thing you can find via a general Google search on the topic is the allegation levelled against the author of the racism review, which was dropped right up against Christmas weekend. The more I think about the timing of it the more I'm disgusted.

From what you've said an even bigger can of worms is about to be unleashed and this might go on for a while. Hopefully in light of that people can stay the course because whatever's going on needs to come out in its entirety.

12. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is an interesting development, or sideshow depending on how you look at it:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...22-p5c885.html

“I categorically deny that I have stolen from the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative (MVAC) in any way whatsoever. At all times I have acted with honesty, integrity and in the best interests of the MVAC,” Egan wrote in a statement.

He claimed the emergence of such allegations were an attempt to undermine the integrity of the ongoing AFL investigation into allegations of racism at the Hawks between 2008-2016, which is based on information in the report he provided to Hawthorn.

“Regardless of these slurs against my name, I am extremely confident that this dog whistling will in no way diminish or discredit the entirely separate and independent investigation commissioned by the AFL and led by Mr Bernard Quinn, KC, and which I have no involvement,” Egan wrote. “To try to dismantle that process by destroying my reputation will, I suspect, be as futile as it is outrageous.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/12/...ommence-legal/

“I categorically deny that I have stolen from the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative (MVAC) in any way whatsoever. At all times I acted with honesty, integrity and in the best interests of the MVAC,” he wrote.

“The article states the alleged matters occurred more than 10 years ago. But despite the very historical nature of the alleged wrongdoing and the police investigation having been underway for several months, I have not once been contacted by Victoria Police in relation to the allegations.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as a move to attack the credibility of the original investigation may be a means to distract from a lack of depth or conclusiveness of the ongoing one.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tea...c4db5469946fd3

Interesting development overnight, no wonder the Hawthorn racism investigations have hastened slowly. The two issues might be mutually exclusive but it is obviously not a good look for the author of the original Hawthorn racism report to be up on fraud charges with Vic Police.

Clarkson and Fagan are entitled to a presumption of innocence until the investigation has taken its full course. Likewise so should Egan relevant to his overnight fraud charges.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tea...c4db5469946fd3

Interesting development overnight, no wonder the Hawthorn racism investigations have hastened slowly. The two issues might be mutually exclusive but it is obviously not a good look for the author of the original Hawthorn racism report to be up on fraud charges with Vic Police.

Clarkson and Fagan are entitled to a presumption of innocence until the investigation has taken its full course. Likewise so should Egan relevant to his overnight fraud charges.
    Crikey - what a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I totally agree, it's the cornerstone of our justice system, as opposed to the court of social media justice..
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are we applying the principles of a judicial system to Clarkson and Fagan when they're not subject to the judicial system again?

Totally agree that they get to have their say and present their versions - that's just natural justice taking its course, but if the investigation clears them of wrongdoing it doesn't mean they haven't done the wrong thing. I mean, is anyone really expecting an AFL led investigation to be transparent and fair?

19. Likes mjp, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why are we applying the principles of a judicial system to Clarkson and Fagan when they're not subject to the judicial system again?

Totally agree that they get to have their say and present their versions - that's just natural justice taking its course, but if the investigation clears them of wrongdoing it doesn't mean they haven't done the wrong thing. I mean, is anyone really expecting an AFL led investigation to be transparent and fair?
    I'm assuming the bolded bit hasn't occurred as yet? Happy to be corrected if it has. I'd just like to see the full investigation completed (I share your concerns around the full transparency of the AFL investigative process but what else is there) and all the findings fully disclosed before any judgements can be made on those accused. Likewise with Egan's upcoming judicial process, let all the evidence from both sides be soberly assessed until the presumption of innocence can be proven or otherwise. Egan, Clarkson and Fagan have reputations to defend and should be allowed to do so.

I've always been one to err on the side of allowing people accused of any nefarious activity to formally state their case and then be judged on the evidence provided in any investigation into their conduct - it doesn't have to be limited to the judicial system.

The other point of note is that ABC, who at present are still the only official source of the latest allegations (via Russell Jackson), have had a frankly embarrassing run of losing defamation cases and lawsuits for various reporting that has proven to be false - for mine, it is completely unacceptable that our public broadcaster can be so negligent and so careless so often. And of course every time they have lost these defamation lawsuits, none of the staff involved have lost their jobs and the ABC has never actually paid these damages - the taxpayer has always footed the bill. As a public broadcaster they have to be 100% above reproach, and recently they have been anything but.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Rita Panahi has nailed her colours to the mast in no uncertain terms.

Her closing paragraph.

"Every single person at Hawthorn Football Club party to commissioning this report should resign and apologise. They have recklessly inflicted enormous damage on the club, as well as the competition, not to mention irreversibly damaging the good names of three men."
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

22. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Looks like Rita Panahi has nailed her colours to the mast in no uncertain terms.

Her closing paragraph.

"Every single person at Hawthorn Football Club party to commissioning this report should resign and apologise. They have recklessly inflicted enormous damage on the club, as well as the competition, not to mention irreversibly damaging the good names of three men."
    I hate that women. No mention of the families affected - wow
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I hate that women. No mention of the families affected - wow
    She pretty much plays the role of a social media troll in the mainstream sh1t rags.

Best ignored.