Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Nah its not defamation it's a worksafe issue as Hawthorn were the employer. It's also possibly a health and safety act issue, a negligence issue and a breach of duty of care as well.
    I’m with you there. There’s strict time frames on personal injury in Victoria so I’m not sure they get in (3 years from being aware of an injury). Unless they’ve done something already. Ironically, Kennett changed the personal injury and workplace injury laws incredibly tight and Bracks didn’t fully unwind the changes.

Hawthorn on the other hand with WorkSafe might be on the hook, if WorkSafe decide to look into it.

Something else I’ve heard reported by some in the press is that the claims are ‘anonymous’. Which isn’t true. The players identities are 100% known. Their names have been only de-identified for privacy, like say a police informant. The people who count know who police informer ‘Fuzzy Dunlop’ is, even if nobody else does.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks GVGjr, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good ole Fuzzy Dunlop.

This is a really interesting thread and while the topic is unpalatable, I'm enjoying the discussion around it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuzzy Dunlop; next level of police informant.

Hawks have prior history in behaving this way with how Cyril Rioli was treated.

I am finding it hard to believe that Hodge and co didn’t know what Rioli went through and I’m struggling to believe they didn’t know what was happening here.

Eddie Betts summed it up when Mark Robinson said to Betts “so you believe all the allegations ” and Eddie replies with “yes, as it keeps happening”. By that he meant another example comes to light.

Tony Armstrong also shed some insightful perspective.

Clearly this is a wider issue than just sport. I’m no where near educated enough on the subject and am trying to learn and understand more. Following Raw Toast on social media helps; but as a white male, who is early 40’s, I’ll never truly understand. Advocacy is tough and draining. I can’t imagine what Eddie Betts goes through each time he needs to front the cameras and educate the wider population on simple right and wrong.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Nah its not defamation it's a worksafe issue as Hawthorn were the employer. It's also possibly a health and safety act issue, a negligence issue and a breach of duty of care as well.
    Spot on. Good article on it in The Age: ‘No question’: Hawthorn likely faces legal action over Indigenous player claims

All the big gun Law Firms right on to it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Spot on. Good article on it in The Age: ‘No question’: Hawthorn likely faces legal action over Indigenous player claims

All the big gun Law Firms right on to it
    Yeah I thought this would move quickly into that space.

Post Thanks / Like

Human rights breaches are what should occur.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all so, so sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I am finding it hard to believe that Hodge and co didn’t know what Rioli went through and I’m struggling to believe they didn’t know what was happening here.
    I don't. Footy change-rooms are interesting places and footy change-rooms with First Nations players are even more interesting. The First Nations boys will sit TOGETHER. They will do everything TOGETHER. They will HAPPILY engage with anyone who wants to engage (as Jack Trengove will tell you from his time at Port) but it can be a hard 'circle' to approach. Hodge and co could have been 'friendly' with Rioli and enjoyed playing with him without ever being part of the 'circle'...which would mean he would have always remained an outsider.

Let me re-iterate. The 'CIRCLE' will be open to anyone. But anyone who wants to be at a more than 'hey/seeya' relationship level is going to have to make the first move. The First Nations boys will be WELCOMING but they wont INVITE you to join...

I don't want to sound like a broken record but I've said this stuff before - people in Victoria, generally speaking - don't have enough experience/exposure in talking too/spending time with First Nations people to actually 'get' this sort of thing. Watch the 'brother boys' from oppo teams chatting together after a game...there is an unspoken connection for so many of them BECAUSE they have fought through the sort of things being reported by Jackson to get where they are...

Eddie Betts summed it up when Mark Robinson said to Betts “so you believe all the allegations ” and Eddie replies with “yes, as it keeps happening”. By that he meant another example comes to light.
    This part is frustrating. These aren't 'allegations'. Jackson is reporting what he has been told. Fagan and Clarkson were offered right of reply. They chose not to respond. This part of it is doing my head in and I just don't understand why so many people in the community seem to think that Jackson would have written an article with a foundation in b.s. They aren't allegations. This happened. The details of exactly WHO is responsible (here's a hint - it's Andrew Newland) remain somewhat unclear but there is no 'believe/don't believe' element to the story.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't. Footy change-rooms are interesting places and footy change-rooms with First Nations players are even more interesting. The First Nations boys will sit TOGETHER. They will do everything TOGETHER. They will HAPPILY engage with anyone who wants to engage (as Jack Trengove will tell you from his time at Port) but it can be a hard 'circle' to approach. Hodge and co could have been 'friendly' with Rioli and enjoyed playing with him without ever being part of the 'circle'...which would mean he would have always remained an outsider.

Let me re-iterate. The 'CIRCLE' will be open to anyone. But anyone who wants to be at a more than 'hey/seeya' relationship level is going to have to make the first move. The First Nations boys will be WELCOMING but they wont INVITE you to join...

I don't want to sound like a broken record but I've said this stuff before - people in Victoria, generally speaking - don't have enough experience/exposure in talking too/spending time with First Nations people to actually 'get' this sort of thing. Watch the 'brother boys' from oppo teams chatting together after a game...there is an unspoken connection for so many of them BECAUSE they have fought through the sort of things being reported by Jackson to get where they are...

This part is frustrating. These aren't 'allegations'. Jackson is reporting what he has been told. Fagan and Clarkson were offered right of reply. They chose not to respond. This part of it is doing my head in and I just don't understand why so many people in the community seem to think that Jackson would have written an article with a foundation in b.s. They aren't allegations. This happened. The details of exactly WHO is responsible (here's a hint - it's Andrew Newland) remain somewhat unclear but there is no 'believe/don't believe' element to the story.
    They don't believe because they don't want to believe. They're not interested. The "whydonttheyjustgetoverit" gang would rather complain about cancel culture.
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Burgoyne saying he didn't know is the only part that puzzles me.

And mjp fully agree about Victorians just not getting it.
    I think i had seen a handful of first nations people in my first 15 years.
    Last edited by Topdog; 24-09-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Scuttlebutt doing the rounds. Unverified and ultimately, likely to be fiction but they posit:

- AFL house aware of the report and allegations well in advance of when ABC went public.
    - Fagan in strife. B Scott to replace him.
    - Sheedy was aware of allegations against Clarkson via contacts with indigenous community and that’s why he sabotaged EOC efforts to get him in. Helps with his efforts to reinstate Hird.
    - Yze about to get caught up in it all.

Some real long bows being drawn in those rumours, especially the jerking off over Sheeds as some sort of club saviour, white saviour, mega mind.

Has a Demetriou era stink to it though, so perhaps there’s a tiny sliver of truth in amongst all the bull dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Scuttlebutt doing the rounds. Unverified and ultimately, likely to be fiction but they posit:

- AFL house aware of the report and allegations well in advance of when ABC went public.
    - Fagan in strife. B Scott to replace him.
    - Sheedy was aware of allegations against Clarkson via contacts with indigenous community and that’s why he sabotaged EOC efforts to get him in. Helps with his efforts to reinstate Hird.
    - Yze about to get caught up in it all.

Some real long bows being drawn in those rumours, especially the jerking off over Sheeds as some sort of club saviour, white saviour, mega mind.

Has a Demetriou era stink to it though, so perhaps there’s a tiny sliver of truth in amongst all the bull dust.
    That one has been doing the rounds since Tuesday I think. It's hard to know which versions might be correct.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The afl stated they knew about it once the report was given to Hawks, approximately 2 weeks before the abc news.
    It's a good blend of fact and fiction by an Essendon supporter

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    The afl stated they knew about it once the report was given to Hawks, approximately 2 weeks before the abc news.
    It's a good blend of fact and fiction by an Essendon supporter
    It certainly reads like Sheedy fan fiction from an EOC fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Armstrong also shed some insightful perspective.
    Toby spoke really well about it.

The NITV footy panel was tough viewing. Gilbert was absolutely passionate and some of the panel were close to tears.
    This is an issue that cuts deep and I think Eddie Betts is correct - every club should have a similar review. This may be an opporunity to change league-wide behavior for good.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers