Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

Interesting that channel 9 thinks its a good idea having McGuire on a panel discussing this. Seems a bit tone deaf.

Surprised none of the young indigenous kids didn't reach out to Burgoyne, my brother in law is am indigenous Hawthorn supporter and hes cancelled his and his kids memberships. He's pretty shattered.
    The curse is dead.

2. Likes Mofra, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This bloke will have alot to answer for.

Hawthorn’s former player development manager has stepped down “indefinitely” from his role at a prestigious Melbourne private school amid the fallout from a report into alleged racism at the club.
    Caulfield Grammar emailed parents on Wednesday night to inform them Jason Burt, who was previously Hawthorn’s player development manager, had taken a leave of absence from his position at the school.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This bloke will have alot to answer for.
    He’s going to get the brunt of it, by the looks of it.

Out of interest, what the hell are the welfare officers etc in the club doing?

Post Thanks / Like

It does make you wonder if Clarko getting moved on a year early, on full pay, meant the Hawks knew something was wrong.
    Then commissioning the report...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes Dry Rot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It does make you wonder if Clarko getting moved on a year early, on full pay, meant the Hawks knew something was wrong.
    Then commissioning the report...

Don’t think Kennett will see anything wrong with anything Hawthorn has done

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone I've found the allegations appalling, and although I respect the right of response on the part of those involved I must say given the level of detail provided, the number of players providing these details and the fact that these players were prompted to provide insight by Hawthorn, I struggle to understand how (as Clarkson claims) there could be no wrongdoing.

The racial angle is obvious, it seems none of this could have occurred without being enabled by an attitude that prejudices the handling of first nations players. Yet supposing this did happen to non-indigenous players, the fallout would also be severe -

There is no role for any workplace in determining who their employees see in their private lives, where the families of their employees live, when their employees have kids or who they have kids with. There is no role for workplaces in furnishing employees with new sim cards to remove them from contact with their families, or in being present for a break up conversation.

Therefore I hope this episode can trigger action on two fronts: the prejudicial treatment of first nations players and the boundaries between work and home life for AFL players generally.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    He’s going to get the brunt of it, by the looks of it.

Out of interest, what the hell are the welfare officers etc in the club doing?
    I thing you are right. The coaches will say they knew nothing and Brunt will be the one copping it for everyone.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I wrote about the devastating allegations at Hawthorn as part of a broader assessment of Gillon McLachlan's tenure as CEO.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

I thing you are right. The coaches will say they knew nothing and Brunt will be the one copping it for everyone.
    The only issue with this is the victims have repeatedly stated that Fagan and Clarkson were in the room and were the ones saying these heinous things.

How do they escape this?

13. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    The only issue with this is the victims have repeatedly stated that Fagan and Clarkson were in the room and were the ones saying these heinous things.

How do they escape this?
    I am giving the cynical view in me. I don't trust the AFL

15. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    For what it's worth, I wrote about the devastating allegations at Hawthorn as part of a broader assessment of Gillon McLachlan's tenure as CEO.
    Thanks for sharing. As we can reasonably have come to expect, a really well written piece that speaks to issues important right at the heart of the game. The comments about the game seeking to own indigenous folk and the land really hit the mark when I reflect on Sheedy and his influence and plaudits received for supporting his “boys.”

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fagan’s right of reply:

Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan has reportedly denied allegations of wrongdoing against First Nations players during his time at Hawthorn Football Club.

Citing an independent review commissioned by Hawthorn, the ABC reported yesterday that the club’s staff had separated players from their families and controlled communication between them so they could focus on their careers.

In a statement provided to the AFL website, Fagan said he would cooperate fully with an AFL-ordered independent investigation into certain experiences of Indigenous players during their careers with the Hawks.

“I was shocked and deeply distressed by the allegations reported in the media yesterday concerning my time at the Hawthorn Football Club,” Fagan said in the statement.

“I deny, categorically, the allegations of wrongdoing by me in relation to First Nations players at the Hawthorn Football Club. I have had very positive relationships with First Nations players throughout my many years in football, and, indeed players from different racial and ethnic groups.

“I intend to defend myself. It is my hope that people will judge me based upon the way I actually conduct myself and not by what is written in the media. I support and welcome the investigation announced by the AFL yesterday. I intend to participate fully in the investigation and look forward to being heard and being accorded due process and fairness.”

Former Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson, who is also at the centre of the allegations, yesterday denied any allegation of wrongdoing or misconduct as well.

Clarkson was due to begin as senior coach at North Melbourne in November, but he announced yesterday he would delay starting work at his new club in light of the harrowing claims of racism.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am giving the cynical view in me. I don't trust the AFL
    Do you think this will end up in the courts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Do you think this will end up in the courts?
    Surely will have to, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarkson and Fagan if found not guilty, sue for deformation
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

The allegations are very disturbing and any that are proven against specific individuals should lead to life bans for those individuals.

I know we see unforgivable acts come to light regularly which is a sad indictment of the human animal.

It seems those with power regularly abuse it and it has occurred forever. With modern insights it is just intolerable.

With the Hawthorn situation, it seems that all from the playing group (claim) have/had no knowledge.
    This would indicate that those subject to these extreme tactics were so traumatised they could not share with those members of the group who may have been able to help. Even other indigenous players you would expect to be there for them.

This also appears typical of human behaviour where the victims are the ones who feel guilty for the trauma inflicted on them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured