Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

The AFL have ticked all the boxes to say they've followed due process but they've also inadvertently told the wider community there's nothing to see here.

If the allegations were taken seriously Clarkson and Fagan should not be allowed to return to work. That aside, the public commentary has been most disappointing. When Dunkley comes out and says "nothing to worry about here" and Hodge says "Clarkson is a good bloke" it essentially takes away credibility from the victims and their stories. It also takes away the seriousness of the issue and how it is portrayed in the public community. Dunkley and Hodge are only two examples but numerous others have made similar comments along the same theme.

Again, from all of this I feel sorry for the victims. I have no doubt they were put into a position they shouldn't have been and as this process continues, I have less faith that a real outcome will emerge.

2. Likes Dogs 24/7, 1eyedog, Testekill, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I really hope not. It's a tough call to stand them down indefinitely so I get why the clubs are bringing them back. Ultimately it will be harder for the clubs later on if this escalates.
    The AFL are using enough micro methods to push their macro narrative if you look closely enough.
    That being that these guys are not capable of such things, especially in Fagan's case. That may well be true but watching their conspicuous attempts to be inconspicuous is pretty sad.

Exhibit A : AFL website today. A stock photo would've done the trick.

4. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This whole process is making me feel sick. The most galling thing is that it's so predictable -- say you're shocked. Announce an inquiry. Sit back and wait for the media attention to fade away. Let a few testimonials slip out, oh surely such good blokes couldn't have meant any harm? And before you know it, we're back to business as usual. By the time the report comes out (fully exonerating all involved -- or there might be one junior coach sacrificed for the 'greater good') everyone will have forgotten the original allegations.

Meanwhile the victims go on hurting and feeling betrayed, and nothing in the culture actually changes.

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope something happens that forces these people out of the game for good. Go work at Mitre 10 or something dickheads you can't be coaches anymore

7. Likes Testekill, immortalmike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    This whole process is making me feel sick. The most galling thing is that it's so predictable -- say you're shocked. Announce an inquiry. Sit back and wait for the media attention to fade away. Let a few testimonials slip out, oh surely such good blokes couldn't have meant any harm? And before you know it, we're back to business as usual. By the time the report comes out (fully exonerating all involved -- or there might be one junior coach sacrificed for the 'greater good') everyone will have forgotten the original allegations.

Meanwhile the victims go on hurting and feeling betrayed, and nothing in the culture actually changes.
    The biggest issue is the so called Independent panel is not independent, because it is AFL appointed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes 1eyedog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We investigated ourselves and cleared ourselves of wrongdoing.

11. Likes EasternWest, Swoop, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes EasternWest, Testekill, hujsh, Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The AFL are using enough micro methods to push their macro narrative if you look closely enough.
    That being that these guys are not capable of such things, especially in Fagan's case. That may well be true but watching their conspicuous attempts to be inconspicuous is pretty sad.

Exhibit A : AFL website today. A stock photo would've done the trick.

That's more sickening than Maggie Beer being portrayed as a mother figure on Masterchef.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wanker - just demonstrating you have a NY Times subscription.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Wanker - just demonstrating you have a NY Times subscription.
    I actually do. Shockingly little coverage of this in there though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I really hope something happens that forces these people out of the game for good. Go work at Mitre 10 or something dickheads you can't be coaches anymore
    So, Clarkson and Fagan are not entitled to any presumption of innocence ? Just because they are accused, they must be guilty ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    So, Clarkson and Fagan are not entitled to any presumption of innocence ? Just because they are accused, they must be guilty ?
    It's pretty clear they aren't innocent and this will be swept under he rug. It's gross and entire typical of the AFL.

If even one of the stories is true that's enough to disqualify them from coaching/leadership positions and since there are multiple stories the odds are more likely that other players aren't coming forward than the accusers are making it up.

Do you have anything else to offer this topic other than 'presumption of innocence'? Like a reason to doubt the victims accounts? Or is your only issue that we aren't waiting for a criminal court trial to conclude before making a judgement based on the evidence available? Because the only defence I've seen for these coaches is 'oh they're great blokes it can't be true' and 'it's not fair these allegations are public'.

23. Likes jeemak, azabob, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Try the post, better pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Not dissimilar to the AFL website then?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

26. Likes Swoop, Happy Days liked this post