Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hun running with Fagan may be stood down.
    Fagan is "blindsided" by the report & allegations
    Need to see his side of the story.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just time that we accepted that the AFL as a business is a bloodthirsty uncaring beast fuelled by money, cocaine and ego.

These things come out and we are all shocked by them, but deep inside we're kind of not really.

I mean, Brett Montgomery got knocked out cold and we put him back on the field ten minutes later and celebrated his performance nevermind the ramifications for his long term health.

And no, I'm not conflating systemic racism with poor injury management, I just think that the romantic notion of the AFL and footy clubs is a fallacy.

You know what the worst part is? I'll keep watching.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As bad as this is, and it's horrendous, we also need to accept that many clubs have tried to pressure players into decisions or have ignored unacceptable behavior in an effort to win games of football.

We only need to look at the way Collingwood tried to coerce Adam Treloar to not let his wife move to QLD to further her own sporting career and then effectively sacked him when they didn't get the answer they wanted. This was a clear breach of decency to someone who was professional throughout his time at Collingwood.

I think there would be plenty of clubs that couldn't survive a lot of scrutiny on they way they have addressed racism over the last 10 years despite the education that has been available.
    I posed a similar comparison to some Bulldogs supporters (not sure if on here) and thought the response was excellent:
    You can’t separate this from history of treatment of Indigenous peopl. Same horrific practices of separation of families, abuse of human rights etc that led to stolen generation. What Hawthorn has done has the same meaning + ongoing / compounding harm & trauma. It’s not the same if they did it to non-indigenous players. (Which they don’t appear to have)

4. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    WTF have I just read. Unbelievable to think this happened.
    you stole the words out of my mouth. Incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

As bad as this is, and it's horrendous, we also need to accept that many clubs have tried to pressure players into decisions or have ignored unacceptable behavior in an effort to win games of football.

We only need to look at the way Collingwood tried to coerce Adam Treloar to not let his wife move to QLD to further her own sporting career and then effectively sacked him when they didn't get the answer they wanted. This was a clear breach of decency to someone who was professional throughout his time at Collingwood.

I think there would be plenty of clubs that couldn't survive a lot of scrutiny on they way they have addressed racism over the last 10 years despite the education that has been available.
    I know where you are coming from and Colligwood was very bad with Treloar but that is his wifes career which is very different to ripping apart the family. This is really next level stuff. im in shock having read it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, of course he must have known something.

I am really angry about this. It just ads to a long list of treating the indigenous people of this country badly. A culture that goes back 60,000 years and their country takenover and treated worse than dogs. As 1Eyedog said, surely after more than 200 years we would have stopped being arseholes.
    The information at hand seems to indicate that Aboriginal people were treated differently purely because they were Indigenous and this is social Darwinism at it's absolute ugliest.

8. Likes hujsh, Mofra, bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hun running with Fagan may be stood down.
    Fagan is "blindsided" by the report & allegations
    As much as I don't want to head hunt people without more of the facts being available given the extreme severity of allegations the decent thing would be for Clarkson and Fagan to stand down now and allow the process to run it's course.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I don't want to head hunt people without more of the facts being available given the extreme severity of allegations the decent thing would be for Clarkson and Fagan to stand down now and allow the process to run it's course.
    That’s the reasonable course of action, and doesn’t have to imply guilt at this point, despite things seeming quite damning.Would be what happens in a professional workplace.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t imagine this will sit well with North, their chair Sonja Hood was the chair of an org where I worked supporting women and children who’d been thru family violence and homelessness, and she runs an org integrating refugees into the community. A great person and this will not be in accord with her values or be part of the boys club that will try to diminish these things.

I’m dismayed and sickened by what’s been revealed. I doubt the report would have been released if there wasn’t supporting evidence and that any possible malice or fabrications hadn’t been ruled out. It feels like both coaches positions are untenable to be honest unless these awful allegations can be 100% discredited, which I doubt.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

14. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if only 10% (and i agree with post above it would have been vetted so would be much higher) is true the ramifications for Burt, Clarko and Fagan will be huge.
    No parent would want their kids at a club with these 3 invoked.

16. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    That’s the reasonable course of action, and doesn’t have to imply guilt at this point, despite things seeming quite damning.Would be what happens in a professional workplace.
    Yes, I have seen this happen a few times in the workplace. I'd be expecting this to happen today/tomorrow.
    As you say, standing down is not an admission of guilt.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly I'm shocked this kind of culture could've ensued under the watch of a President who merrily boasted of his extensive collection of Golliwog dolls.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they are not the only players to have the timing of a birth date questioned. I am not entirely sure it's actually a solely racist issue.

Don't shoot the messenger, but it is a professional (if somewhat uncaring) sport. Unlike international cricketers, football has an off season, and I can understand a coach being annoyed/frustrated when pending childbirth dates occur during finals, or even the home and away season. Is it reasonable for a club to expect a fully professional player to try to time conception so that the late pregnancy/birth for out of season?

I have no real knowledge of this specific case, just wondering generally. It's not like we don't understand how long the human gestation period is, give or take.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

This is shocking. Just absolutely shocking. I can’t believe that in our modern society we still treat specific races as second class citizens. So so sad.

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I felt physically ill reading this. I can't see how Clarkson, Fagan and other involved in this can keep their current jobs.

If this was the Western Bulldogs I would immediately cancel my membership and all ties to the club. My Hawthorn mate already has decided to.
    Footscray member since 1980.

23. Likes Topdog, 1eyedog, macca liked this post