Thanks Thanks:  120
Likes Likes:  613
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn racism review

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Frankly I'm shocked this kind of culture could've ensued under the watch of a President who merrily boasted of his extensive collection of Golliwog dolls.
    Good point Rocket for once I hadn't thought to myself "how can I blame Kennett"
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I bet they are not the only players to have the timing of a birth date questioned. I am not entirely sure it's actually a solely racist issue.

Don't shoot the messenger, but it is a professional (if somewhat uncaring) sport. Unlike international cricketers, football has an off season, and I can understand a coach being annoyed/frustrated when pending childbirth dates occur during finals, or even the home and away season. Is it reasonable for a club to expect a fully professional player to try to time conception so that the late pregnancy/birth for out of season?

I have no real knowledge of this specific case, just wondering generally. It's not like we don't understand how long the human gestation period is, give or take.
    Sorry but this is race related. Even as of last week a non-indigenous player missed a finals game due to an impending birth. Was that player asked to terminate a pregnancy so that it didn’t interrupt the team’s season? No. One of the coaches in question is the Head Coach.

3. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris Fagan taking a leave of absence from Brisbane.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Needed to. This could just be the start.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they are not the only players to have the timing of a birth date questioned. I am not entirely sure it's actually a solely racist issue.

Don't shoot the messenger, but it is a professional (if somewhat uncaring) sport. Unlike international cricketers, football has an off season, and I can understand a coach being annoyed/frustrated when pending childbirth dates occur during finals, or even the home and away season. Is it reasonable for a club to expect a fully professional player to try to time conception so that the late pregnancy/birth for out of season?

I have no real knowledge of this specific case, just wondering generally. It's not like we don't understand how long the human gestation period is, give or take.
    It really feels like you didnt read the story at all

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the Lions couldn't even be strong enough to stand him down they had to spin it with leave of absence to protect his image.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I felt physically ill reading this. I can't see how Clarkson, Fagan and other involved in this can keep their current jobs.

If this was the Western Bulldogs I would immediately cancel my membership and all ties to the club. My Hawthorn mate already has decided to.
    I have exactly the same view. I applaud your Hawthorn mate.

These sort of allegations make me question my emotional investment in professional sport. If that is how human beings are being treated in the pursuit of fleeting success, how the hell could a reasonable person support it?!?
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

10. Likes 1eyedog, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deleted I'm not even bothering.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 21-09-2022 at 03:21 PM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read it all again before trying to gather my thoughts about it.

If this is true, and so far no one is denying it, then the response needs to be extreme. Life bans across all levels, financial sanctions, draft sanctions, pressure on sponsors to rip up contracts, and public funding withdrawn, legal/class action for personal injury, and every other possible punitive sanction that reflects the sickening and abhorrent reactions and decent human being feels having read this.

I hope Hawthorn & Lions players walk out and potentially coming to us in a Dunkley trade. Though Dunkley should re-assess moving to a club without a head coach. Fagan won’t survive this. But this is way bigger than footy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog, bornadog, EasternWest, 1eyedog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty bizarre take. You know footy is their job, right? Would you be OK with your employer putting that kind of restriction on you?

16. Likes EasternWest, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    That's a pretty bizarre take. You know footy is their job, right? Would you be OK with your employer putting that kind of restriction on you?
    It also has nothing to do with the story from the details that have been released so far.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few layers to it.

I’m not sure it is reasonable at all for a workplace to limit or restrict the timing of any efforts to conceive a child. I suspect in women’s professional sport there’s much more knowledgeable folk and consideration in how to negotiate these things. I’d see any discussion of that nature with my employer as a gross over stepping of boundaries.

The article clearly locates challenging behaviours and attitudes by people in power framed around the racial identity of specific players. I don’t think you can zoom out so much to view it as just the topic above. Not in an environment where the organisation seeks to lead in creating safe and inclusive space for indigenous folk, and also improve their brand and commercial position by being seen to do it.

This news is very significant and comes with it a significant level of disrepute for the industry, let alone Hawthorn and the individuals alleged to have behaved so disgracefully.

20. Likes Topdog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read it all again before trying to gather my thoughts about it.

If this is true, and so far no one is denying it, then the response needs to be extreme. Life bans across all levels, financial sanctions, draft sanctions, pressure on sponsors to rip up contracts, and public funding withdrawn, legal/class action for personal injury, and every other possible punitive sanction that reflects the sickening and abhorrent reactions and decent human being feels having read this.

I hope Hawthorn & Lions players walk out and potentially coming to us in a Dunkley trade. Though Dunkley should re-assess moving to a club without a head coach. Fagan won’t survive this. But this is way bigger than footy.
    Walker got 6 weeks and $20,000 and stained forever for a two word slur, that I won’t repeat. How is this isn’t going to be apocalyptic?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Frankly I'm shocked this kind of culture could've ensued under the watch of a President who merrily boasted of his extensive collection of Golliwog dolls.

Early this year:

Cyril Rioli goes public with racism claims at Hawthorn
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I will give Jeanette54 the benefit of the doubt. She needs to click on the ABC site for the full report and not just read the OP.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.