Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

There is no Brisbane perspective to this trade.

They are making a mistake. Dunks is a 3rd banana mid who they are going to pay as a 2nd banana (just as we have been).

They don't need a 30+ possession per game player. Dunks wants to be a 30+ ppg player.

He is not a free agent. So they WILL need to give up draft capital to get him. SIGNIFICANT draft capital. Yes - they have some high end picks coming in this year but they will be compromising their next (and probably next 2) drafts to get him.

Daniher is rising 30 and is simply not going to live up to his potential. Everyone (esp. Brisbane) needs to accept this.
    YES - they have Hipwood.
    They are going to lose McStay.
    Yes - they have McCarthy and Cameron - two smalls who seem best suited as leading mid-sizers/smalls out of the goal-square. Not sustainable and doesn't win finals as the past 3 season SHOULD have taught them.
    Down the other end;
    Andrews isn't the player he was.
    Gardiner is just a guy and must be 28 years old.
    Adams is a perpetual injury risk and must be 28 years old.

In getting Dunks they are telling me that they DON'T know where their list is at. Recruiting Dunks will keep young Bailey out of the midfield...he needs to be IN THERE. He can kick the footy and deliver it...It will keep Rayner out of the midfield...he NEEDS to be in there...

They are making a mistake.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post mjp

You have identified quite a few Lions list problems, so a supplementary question for you.

In my view, there is something fundamentally wrong with them but I don't know what it is. They are a flakey 3 - 6 spot team which finishes higher due to home advantage but never looks like delivering in finals to my eye.

What is wrong with them?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What is wrong with them?
    They don't have a structure - forward or back - that will stand up under pressure.

Their backline has really improved re- smalls (addition of Coleman, improvement in Starcevich and Ainsworth) but their talls are ho-hum (Gardiner) or going backwards (Andrews).

Up front, Cameron and McCarthy are their most dangerous players so when the pressure is on they are kicking to 2x smalls (at worst) /mid-sizers (at best) depending on what your perspective is.

Their midfield is quite literally the least of their problems now that Lyons has been moved out (too slow) and Robinson (Will Hayes with Tatts) has had his wing role taken off him. Robinson has done exceptionally well to forge his career but his last 2-3 seasons he has been a replacement level winger capable only of the skinny side role...who wants those players? No-one.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes Dry Rot, immortalmike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with lots of what you are saying but they are betting on overwhelming teams midfield and then finding just enough quality up forward at the right time of the year for lightning to strike - in effect perhaps they are trying for a bulldogs 2016 type premiership

they have always rated hipwood and Daniher more highly than others and they will be hoping the improved defensive smalls along with Adam’s also getting a clean run at it are the keys for them - those are bigs ifs, and you are certainly pointing that out

The Dunkley decision is interesting in light of the Lyons decision 2+years a go - he’s got a bit more pace than Lyons, more ability to play up forward, but he will take away minutes from your young players with star potential - Zac bailey in particular

It’s a thought provoking post about a team who think they are getting a shiny new toy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    They don't have a structure - forward or back - that will stand up under pressure.

Their backline has really improved re- smalls (addition of Coleman, improvement in Starcevich and Ainsworth) but their talls are ho-hum (Gardiner) or going backwards (Andrews).
    Andrews is only 26.

What has happened to him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Andrews is only 26.

What has happened to him?
    note that post was in 2022 when he didn't have a good year. He is playing well this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    note that post was in 2022 when he didn't have a good year. He is playing well this year.
    Probably still recovering from the Cameron hit.

Man that was awful.

He's a really good defender.

Positions himself well, has a good set of hands and disposal is pretty good.
    Love him at the dogs.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Man that was awful.

He's a really good defender.

Positions himself well, has a good set of hands and disposal is pretty good.
    Love him at the dogs.
    That should have been the incident that saw a red card introduced to the AFL. It was horrendous.

Andrews has had a good year so far. The problem isn't at his end.

Daniher will always be what he is. A largely unfulfilled talent. As for Hipwood, he is the poster boy for the insanity that is mega long term deals. Any exposed form he may have had couldn't possibly justify a 6 year extension.

11. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    That should have been the incident that saw a red card introduced to the AFL. It was horrendous.

Andrews has had a good year so far. The problem isn't at his end.

Daniher will always be what he is. A largely unfulfilled talent. As for Hipwood, he is the poster boy for the insanity that is mega long term deals. Any exposed form he may have had couldn't possibly justify a 6 year extension.
    Daniher is the most frustrating player ever. I've been telling people since I first saw him at Essendon that he is capable of being one of the great forwards with his incredible height and athleticism.

I think he reached a really good level of consistency last season, and feel the criticism after our game was harsh (although he did have a bad kicking night) to which he responded really well v the Pies.

Him playing at about 80 percent of his capability is still pretty darn good however I wish he could string all of his massive talent together consistently as he'd be something to behold.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniher will always be a mixed bag.

The problem is Hipwood. He's absolutely ordinary.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Man that was awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    One of the only instances in recent times where I wouldn't have minded out and out retaliatory violence (like face kicking level violence) being enacted on the field. Cameron was and is an out and out ****.

Brisbane are a bit like us, in that when it all clicks it's great and they're difficult to beat. But if the players aren't switched on, as is their want sometimes, they get exposed. I think the GABBA home ground advantage has enabled their top end of the table finishes somewhat, if they had to share home grounds like we do it'd be a bit of a different story.

Dunkley will be really good for them once they settle, like he would be for any side, but he isn't going to be a difference maker there like he would have been at Essendon.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    One of the only instances in recent times where I wouldn't have minded out and out retaliatory violence (like face kicking level violence) being enacted on the field. Cameron was and is an out and out ****.

Brisbane are a bit like us, in that when it all clicks it's great and they're difficult to beat. But if the players aren't switched on, as is their want sometimes, they get exposed. I think the GABBA home ground advantage has enabled their top end of the table finishes somewhat, if they had to share home grounds like we do it'd be a bit of a different story.

Dunkley will be really good for them once they settle, like he would be for any side, but he isn't going to be a difference maker there like he would have been at Essendon.
    Essendon really are desperate for that big bodied inside mid - would make a difference.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the lions at the Adelaide airport the other day and there was one player that stood out physique wise and that was Rayner.

He is taller than I expected(187cm) has similar sized calves to Jack Grealish just really well put together. I still think he has improvement to come, I'm guessing its his engine that is holding him back( the knee wouldn't have helped either) but he is a player that would really suit our current list.

17. Likes EasternWest, jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I saw the lions at the Adelaide airport the other day and there was one player that stood out physique wise and that was Rayner.

He is taller than I expected(187cm) has similar sized calves to Jack Grealish just really well put together. I still think he has improvement to come, I'm guessing its his engine that is holding him back( the knee wouldn't have helped either) but he is a player that would really suit our current list.
    I agree, has real talent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree, has real talent
    He has played nearly 100 games in a strong side but I think he has displayed more potential than talent. He averages about a goal a game which isn't great from a forward. Talent got him the pick one honor but real talent does better than what he has shown so far.