Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Inside the mind of Brian Lake
    Posts
    5,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    First up, please leave your Doggies scarf and beanie and what you think of Dunkley at the door. That is well covered in another thread.

    I am interested in exploring the role and perspective of the Lions in all this. It is unusual for these things to suddenly arise at the end of the season with good to elite players, perhaps Treloar was an exception.

    So it is probably fair to assume that the Lions and Dunkley's manager were talking during the season. On Dunkley's side, he wanted to leave the dogs and apparently live in Queensland. But what about on the Lion's side?

    At one extreme, the Lion's brains trust realised they couldn't win a flag without the vital missing Dunkley piece and pursued him. Unlikely.

    At the other extreme, they received a call from Dunkleys manager and thought Josh who? Ah, the Dogs midfielder, I suppose he could be handy.

    If the latter then maybe it is more like an opportunistic Treloar situation.

    In any event, I wonder what they were thinking if they wish to get Ainsworth and Fletcher and now in addition Dunkley in one season.

    What do you think is the Lion's perspective of this trade?
    HEIGHT IS OVERRATED: CALEB DANIEL > TOM BOYD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    I think they are trying to upgrade their previous setup.

    Lyons has been a regular in their midfield as a big bodied contested player, except this year he has started to decline and been a lot less impactful.

    Dunkley ostensibly replaces him, but can play forward, is of good character, and his ceiling is proper AA standard. A bit like Neale I reckon they see him grasping the opportunity and going from a good midfielder stuck behind a few others to an elite one.

    Also from a cost perspective I think its smart, even with the father son stuff. They just need points, this way they can trade out their "first rounders" that are really just shitty picks in the teens and do a bunch of trades to get 2nd and 3rd rounders for the points, they actually aren't giving up any real big pieces like a top 10 pick.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    I agree that they could probably see the decline in Lyons and looking about for a big bodied mid that might be gettable Dunkley would easily come to mind.

    Obviously been going on for a while but they may still have only entertained the thoughts within the last 6 weeks or so.

    They must have a view of what they are prepared to trade and their 1st round is of no use to them with Ashcroft likely No 1 under father son.

    So it is sacrifice pick 14/15 for Dunkley and see what else might get it done. If they get 3rd picks back it will be a bonus.

    Are they prepared to also sacrifice a best 22 player if they need too. They know they are already losing McStay and maybe Gardiner.

    Who else could they squeeze out.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    12,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    We need a larger bodied mid and ideally someone who can release to McCluggage to allow him to play more of an outside game, while still attending plenty of CBAs.
    With Ashcroft set to be eased into AFL life, the only guy we have that can do that is Raynor and he's still a forward/mid mix.
    Our mids aren't overly defensive save for Lyons who is nowhere near as big or strong or good overhead as Dunkley. Lyons' OP is an ongoing concern and Dunkley is a step up in class while we are currently in our window.

    Given the likely deficit next year and bids this year, I would offer our two late first rounders (2022 & 23) to the Dogs for Dunkley & plenty of points back this year.
    I would be comfortable with going into a small deficit next year as we back ourselves in for our 2nd rounder to be an early-to-mid 30s pick and after bidding, any deficit we carry gets taken off picks where a few spots in the draft are less critical.

    I would not offer the McStay compo to the Bulldogs, instead negotiating with the Suns to on-trade that pick at a points surplus to help us this year for bids matching.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot, F'scary, Scorlibo liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    9,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    We need a may and a Cameron.

    That is all.
    Retired from match day thread - Sep 2021 (Sometimes)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    54,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We need a may and a Cameron.

    That is all.
    second ruck is?
    FFC: Established 1877

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    9,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    second ruck is?
    Who do the swans have

    Stanley and Blicavs are hardly rucks.
    Retired from match day thread - Sep 2021 (Sometimes)

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    33,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    As Mofra said, the Lions are clearly over supplied on smaller midfield types and they needed more of a big body than what they could get out of Berry.
    They're also getting two more smaller types in Ashcroft and Fletcher and will get another Ashcroft down the track.
    If they are prepared to pay Dunks what has been mentioned they will offer a late 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder as their starting point.
    It will be up to Sam Power and maybe a couple of other clubs to help them get the points they need by being creative. Gold Coast have some draft capital that might interest us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    9,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As Mofra said, the Lions are clearly over supplied on smaller midfield types and they needed more of a big body than what they could get out of Berry.
    They're also getting two more smaller types in Ashcroft and Fletcher and will get another Ashcroft down the track.
    If they are prepared to pay Dunks what has been mentioned they will offer a late 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder as their starting point.
    It will be up to Power and maybe a couple of other clubs to help them get the points they need.
    G what do you think they will end up parting with?.

    There's just no way I can see Dunkley at the Lions.
    Retired from match day thread - Sep 2021 (Sometimes)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    54,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Who do the swans have

    Stanley and Blicavs are hardly rucks.
    Solved.
    FFC: Established 1877

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    33,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    G what do you think they will end up parting with?.

    There's just no way I can see Dunkley at the Lions.
    The 2022 and 2023 first round picks.
    Why can't you see him heading to Brisbane?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    12,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The 2022 and 2023 first round picks.
    Why can't you see him heading to Brisbane?
    I suspect Power will ask for both with no picks going back.
    Counter-offer is picks 29, 37 & 65 coming back

    I think Power does what he can to keep pick 29 and we'd be comfortable with handing later picks back
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  15. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
  16. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Skinner Reserve
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I suspect Power will ask for both with no picks going back.
    Counter-offer is picks 29, 37 & 65 coming back

    I think Power does what he can to keep pick 29 and we'd be comfortable with handing later picks back
    I expect Power will want to keep 29 for Lobb. Assuming the Lions finish 4th next year (which is very reasonable) the draft pick calculator would value Dunkley at pick 7 if we give them 37 and 65.

    This is pretty much what I expect to happen and is "fair".

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dogsville
    Posts
    11,797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We need a larger bodied mid and ideally someone who can release to McCluggage to allow him to play more of an outside game, while still attending plenty of CBAs.
    With Ashcroft set to be eased into AFL life, the only guy we have that can do that is Raynor and he's still a forward/mid mix.
    Our mids aren't overly defensive save for Lyons who is nowhere near as big or strong or good overhead as Dunkley. Lyons' OP is an ongoing concern and Dunkley is a step up in class while we are currently in our window.

    Given the likely deficit next year and bids this year, I would offer our two late first rounders (2022 & 23) to the Dogs for Dunkley & plenty of points back this year.
    I would be comfortable with going into a small deficit next year as we back ourselves in for our 2nd rounder to be an early-to-mid 30s pick and after bidding, any deficit we carry gets taken off picks where a few spots in the draft are less critical.

    I would not offer the McStay compo to the Bulldogs, instead negotiating with the Suns to on-trade that pick at a points surplus to help us this year for bids matching.
    Berry is an absolute bull and while he doesn't get the volume of ball Dunkley gets he can tag effectively and is a defensive beast. Not sure why he is so underrated.

  18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
  19. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dogsville
    Posts
    11,797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Dunkley trade from the Lions perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    I expect Power will want to keep 29 for Lobb. Assuming the Lions finish 4th next year (which is very reasonable) the draft pick calculator would value Dunkley at pick 7 if we give them 37 and 65.

    This is pretty much what I expect to happen and is "fair".
    I would think the Lions will be going into 2023 with an assistant or a new coach. It could be earlier than we think.

  20. Likes Mofra liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •