Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we are a better team in 2023 without Dunkley?

Dunkley obviously had his strengths, but he was also slow and a poor kick. We also had to shoehorn mids into other positions on the field.

With Dunkley gone and an in form Treloar back in the guts where he belongs, are we now a better team overall this season?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are we are a better team in 2023 without Dunkley?

Unfortunately after 4 rounds, we look to be much the same.

We still give up big runs of goals and we still struggle to get space forward.

Our kicking for goal has also not improved.

On the Dunkley question, we seem to have covered him with plenty of others to make a hash of their kicking.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Take it over two years. 2020-2022.

We replaced Dunkley with Treloar, as Adz was surplus to absolute need. On a cheaper salary (thanks to Collingwood) and cost us 127 Draft points for Adz. Got Pick 21, F1, F2 & F4. Wipe out the 127 Points for the F4.

End: Treloar replaces Dunkley in the middle and is on less ongoing salary while we got Charlie Clarke and the F1 & F2. The freedom to trade on Lobb as support for Tim, Naughton, Marra and move Bruce to defence.

I?m happy to say that overall, of the options:

* We have now found ourselves in
    * No Treloar
    * Retain Dunkley and play more mids out of position

I?m very, very comfortable to be where we are. Dunkley is a jet. But his going might be the forced change to make things better. FYI, both are having a similar output this season, with Adz ahead I?d argue:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

The Dunkley walk out is far more impacting the side now and into the future than just Adz. Although Adz is delivering similar or better numbers than Dunkley so far, which is a welcome outcome.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Dry Rot, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, theoretically he's the best defensive mid we had on the list so the 7 goal burst Richmond had last week may have been stopped.
    But Dunks played in the 2021 GF, so....

I think we're better off this year, Adz will slow down next year (soft tissue risk too) so we'll be marginally worse off in 2024 & perhaps 2025, but we did get extra picks from the deal and if we turn that into something decent at the trade table (Bergmann/Doedee if Crows match an RFA bid) or a quality first round pick in the teens (Richards is about the level I'd expect) we might be ahead anyway.

Also noting what we do at mid-year, because it's Dunk's list spot we have free any mid-season draft player we get needs to be factored in.
    Dunkley is quality though so I think the slow/poor kick stuff really needs to be balanced against his strengths - ball winning, marking ability for a mid, can kick goals.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are better balanced in the middle. Treloar has been really good this year and I like his added pace and disposal effectiveness. I think Bont has stepped up his physicality to win the inside ball and create pressure and it works better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think we are better balanced in the middle. Treloar has been really good this year and I like his added pace and disposal effectiveness. I think Bont has stepped up his physicality to win the inside ball and create pressure and it works better.
    If Bont can continue to keep his defensive game up it's a big upgrade on having Dunks in the middle. For the talk about him being a 2 way mid I reckon he was still see ball get ball first and foremost, if you get what I mean. Like he didn't stop the opposition from getting the ball but he did tackle and smother when the opportunity presented itself. Bont and Libba are the two somewhat capable at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Great call on Treloar. I've been a huge fan of his and always thought he should've been in our first choice rotations. I'm glad he is now showing his value and how good he actually is.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Losing a player with as many years as Dunks has to play and a B&F winner to boot is a huge loss no matter how you look at it. It might solve a problem with a stacked midfield but it was a great problem to have.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Losing a player with as many years as Dunks has to play and a B&F winner to boot is a huge loss no matter how you look at it. It might solve a problem with a stacked midfield but it was a great problem to have.
    Disagree. It was a problem WE created though and 'someone' simply had to go.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly the big money on offer now $750,000 a year for 6 years for Dunkley to go to the Brisbane Lions is an outstanding example
    of how some players are prone to the almighty dollar.. Our
    dominance in the midfield against Richmond would suggest that Treloar and Bailey Smith have stepped up to fill the void whilst Maclean will also prove a valuable addition to the midfield. Dunkley has been unsettled for some time given his previous attempt to go to Essendon. We are fortunate to have the loyalty of the Bont Libba and Macrae to lead the charge.

14. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is never great to lose a current B & F winner however in this case I am glad it was a mid. We still have a strong mid field and as others have said we have the players to do the hard yards that Dinky did. Hopefully next draft we can draft one or two gun mids too.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think we can honestly say we’re better but I do think Dunkley himself was better with us playing some time forward than he has been at Brisbane playing actually every second in the midfield.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don’t think we can honestly say we’re better but I do think Dunkley himself was better with us playing some time forward than he has been at Brisbane playing actually every second in the midfield.
    I just checked his stats and he's getting less of the ball and also hasn't kicked a goal (18 last year)
    That's a bit disappointing from him you'd think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I just checked his stats and he's getting less of the ball and also hasn't kicked a goal (18 last year)
    That's a bit disappointing from him you'd think
    McLuggage's output is down too. I wonder if they're having issues getting the mix right.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 12-04-2023 at 04:34 PM.

19. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Dunkley obviously had his strengths, but he was also slow and a poor kick. We also had to shoehorn mids into other positions on the field.

With Dunkley gone and an in form Treloar back in the guts where he belongs, are we now a better team overall this season?
    I don't think we are missing Dunks at all. We have adjusted our rotations and as you say Treloar is back where he belongs, ie in the middle. Dunks was never a match winner, but I think Treloar with his pace can be.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.