Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  95
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2022 AFL Grand Final Day

What a cracking word.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Attended the Grand Final. The entire game day experience with the full house, sun shining, pre game entertainment and build up was absolutely awesome. Melbourne is well and truly back.

The game was an absolute fizzer. The Swans did not give themselves any chance at all. To be fair Geelong's pressure was off the charts and the Swan's did not have any answers. They then tried to play more defensive which only made things worse. Even when they then flipped things again and started to run and take the game on, Geelong's pressure was too good and Sydney's execution deplorable.

I hate Geelong. But gee whiz I admire them. What they have done to that joint since the early 2000s is nothing short of a miracle. They made a Prelim in 2004. Since that point they have basically been in contention every single year. Four Flags. Six GFs. 13 Prelims. Only missed the finals a couple of times. I'm actually changing my mind. To do what they have done in the equalisation era of salary cap and the draft is a miracle.

4. Likes GVGjr, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Attended the Grand Final. The entire game day experience with the full house, sun shining, pre game entertainment and build up was absolutely awesome. Melbourne is well and truly back.

The game was an absolute fizzer. The Swans did not give themselves any chance at all. To be fair Geelong's pressure was off the charts and the Swan's did not have any answers. They then tried to play more defensive which only made things worse. Even when they then flipped things again and started to run and take the game on, Geelong's pressure was too good and Sydney's execution deplorable.

I hate Geelong. But gee whiz I admire then. What they have done to that joint since the early 2000s is nothing short of a miracle. They made a Prelim in 2004. Since that point they have basically been in contention every single year. Four Flags. Six GFs. 13 Prelims. Only missed the finals a couple of times. I'm actually changing my mind. To do what they have done in the equalisation era of salary cap and the draft is a miracle.
    All it takes is biggest home ground advantage in the league, an unusually attractive location for quality free agents, a wealthy supporter base providing additional financial opportunities for the playing group outside of the salary cap, some hard work and a pinch of talent
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    All it takes is biggest home ground advantage in the league, an unusually attractive location for quality free agents, a wealthy supporter base providing additional financial opportunities for the playing group outside of the salary cap, some hard work and a pinch of talent
    Agree with all of that, but they have made it happen. They have made their innate advantages bigger. They have redeveloped their ground multiple times. When it is fully complete it will be even more intimidating to attend and more profitable for Geelong. They have targeted players who like the lifestyle that their location affords (close to the Surf Coast and good rural properties). They have defied popular convention that you need to drop down the ladder to collect draft picks to rise again. They have absolutely milked every inch out of older players like Selwood, Hawkins, Smith and Duncan when other clubs would be looking to diminish their responsibility to "blood" younger players.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all of that, but they have made it happen. They have made their innate advantages bigger. They have redeveloped their ground multiple times. When it is fully complete it will be even more intimidating to attend and more profitable for Geelong. They have targeted players who like the lifestyle that their location affords (close to the Surf Coast and good rural properties). They have defied popular convention that you need to drop down the ladder to collect draft picks to rise again. They have absolutely milked every inch out of older players like Selwood, Hawkins, Smith and Duncan when other clubs would be looking to diminish their responsibility to "blood" younger players.
    Sedat is triggered.

9. Likes hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Sedat is triggered.
    Don't spoil his holiday
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the Swans would be dirty on Ladhams getting himself reported given there was doubts on Reid to get through the game?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do you think the Swans would be dirty on Ladhams getting himself reported given there was doubts on Reid to get through the game?
    I think the Swans would be dirty that they traded for Ladhams. He got votes on Brownlow night and I remember the reaction of the Swans player and their partner who were on screen was not positive - I'm not sure he has fitted in.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't spoil his holiday
    Nothing could do that, not even the knowledge that my hard-earned has gone to redeveloping a regional pissant toy ground with no wings located in a pork-barrell marginal electorate

To the victor goes the spoils.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, jeemak, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate Geelong. But gee whiz I admire them. What they have done to that joint since the early 2000s is nothing short of a miracle. They made a Prelim in 2004. Since that point they have basically been in contention every single year. Four Flags. Six GFs. 13 Prelims. Only missed the finals a couple of times. I'm actually changing my mind. To do what they have done in the equalisation era of salary cap and the draft is a miracle.
    Or they're a bunch of land grabbing cheats and all will come out in the wash eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

And this is why I will continue to hate them even if that hate is somewhat tempered by them not being complete *!*!*!*!s about winning it.

They make 300% to 500% more money per head for attendees than we do at our home games, or thereabouts. Just because of luck, nothing smart about it. When they're not making that money they're demanding more games at the MCG because you know, they're Geelong and deserve big games at the MCG. Their entitlement is off the charts, and the mollycoddling of them is again an example of how bush league the AFL really is.

It's great for them that they have exploited their advantages, I'd deride them more so if they didn't. But once this gloss has worn off my admiration will wane and I'll revert to my normal position of thinking they're the most entitled and priveliged bunch of *!*!*!*!s in the leage for no good reason at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Nothing could do that, not even the knowledge that my hard-earned has gone to redeveloping a regional pissant toy ground with no wings located in a pork-barrell marginal electorate

To the victor goes the spoils.
    Never change.....as if you would anyway......but never change.