Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  95
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2022 AFL Grand Final Day

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Sydney never fired a shot and were humiliated, yet the final margin was not too far off our humiliating GF loss in which we fired plenty of shots. It’s wild to me how different the games were for both ending up a domination.
    We were 51 up early.

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    We were 51 up early.
    I don't get this post?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hats off to Geelong.

Bevo to double down on you don’t need a ruck to win a grand final.

Also quite noticeable Geelong defenders outside of Stewart are a bunch of misfits that are good ordinary footballers. Henry and SDK will obviously become better than ordinary. System is the key.

Great to see Issac Smith dominate, was such an obvious target for us at the time.

For all the love of Heeney in the media he only got 35 touches in total for all three finals and boy Rohan… what more can be said.

I’m neither here nor there on Selwood, but kudos on an outstanding career and leadership for over a decade.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing end to a disappointing season. Hoping for more joy next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Hats off to Geelong.

Bevo to double down on you don’t need a ruck to win a grand final.

Also quite noticeable Geelong defenders outside of Stewart are a bunch of misfits that are good ordinary footballers. Henry and SDK will obviously become better than ordinary. System is the key.

Great to see Issac Smith dominate, was such an obvious target for us at the time.

For all the love of Heeney in the media he only got 35 touches in total for all three finals and boy Rohan… what more can be said.

I’m neither here nor there on Selwood, but kudos on an outstanding career and leadership for over a decade.
    Stanley bettered a guy today who played very well against the best in the league in week one. Perhaps he's actually an OK ruck?

You make a good point about the Geelong defenders, though having that one really good one makes a world of difference to your overall defencive set up and at this stage unless Keath plays like he did at times the two years before this one we're likely to be lacking in that area again. Perhaps with Jones, Keath and Gardner, and possibly Collins in the mix we have a good range of competent talls and that might be enough.

Agree with you on Heeney. He gets way too many plaudits for mine, even if he is a really good player. It's almost as if it's just a given he's going to be great, but the reality is he's just like most medium sized forwards - if the supply isn't great he's going to struggle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the grand final at the Mona Castle Hotel in Seddon today.

The game was a fizzer. Geelong well deserved premiers. They were in some great form. Dominated from the start. Swans did not show up. The best defence in the league conceded 20 goals.

Hopefully the Dogs will be in it next year at the G.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 24-09-2022 at 11:48 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Stanley bettered a guy today who played very well against the best in the league in week one. Perhaps he's actually an OK ruck?

You make a good point about the Geelong defenders, though having that one really good one makes a world of difference to your overall defencive set up and at this stage unless Keath plays like he did at times the two years before this one we're likely to be lacking in that area again. Perhaps with Jones, Keath and Gardner, and possibly Collins in the mix we have a good range of competent talls and that might be enough.

Agree with you on Heeney. He gets way too many plaudits for mine, even if he is a really good player. It's almost as if it's just a given he's going to be great, but the reality is he's just like most medium sized forwards - if the supply isn't great he's going to struggle.
    English is also an ok ruck. Just an observation as Geelong never seemed sure if Stanley was the answer. Hence their recruitment of Ceglar and Ceglar playing in round 22 and being 24th listed player all finals.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Selwood, Hawkins and Smith were all outstanding in the first quarter. Blew the Swans away and had the game won.

34yo 355 game captain - 12 touches in the first quarter.
    34yo 327 game full forward - 2 brutish goals in the first quarter.
    33yo 255 game winger - 2 goals and great link up run in the first.

Experience does pay off sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Also...

Brandan Parfitt - subbed on for the last quarter.
    14% game time, 8 touches, a tackle, 1 goal

Gary Rohan -
    78% game time, 7 touches, 3 free kicks against, 1 behind

13. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    English is also an ok ruck. Just an observation as Geelong never seemed sure if Stanley was the answer. Hence their recruitment of Ceglar and Ceglar playing in round 22 and being 24th listed player all finals.
    Agreed. And I should have looked at the stats last time we played Sydney with Hickey in the side as I'd have seen that Tim outdid him in hit outs. So I guess I need to apologise because you'd already proved the point and I was still in offencive mode because of GVGjnr's ongoing and completely distracting anti-Rory Lobb campaign.........

And your second point is probably a good way to ask the question as to whether we should put players who are viable first ruck options on the list (usually at reasonably high cost) even if we will sparingly play them rather than putting something makeshift together.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Agreed. And I should have looked at the stats last time we played Sydney with Hickey in the side as I'd have seen that Tim outdid him in hit outs. So I guess I need to apologise because you'd already proved the point and I was still in offencive mode because of GVGjnr's ongoing and completely distracting anti-Rory Lobb campaign.........

And your second point is probably a good way to ask the question as to whether we should put players who are viable first ruck options on the list (usually at reasonably high cost) even if we will sparingly play them rather than putting something makeshift together.
    Don't be too quick to concede that point. Hickey was injured that game (49% TOG). Rucking the rest of the game against Amartey Tim got 28 HO vs Hickey's 21

16. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Insufferable.

Yes you take what you're given but it'd be nice if they had to deal with a competent opponent in the prelim and ensuing granny.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Likes EasternWest, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Selwood, Hawkins and Smith were all outstanding in the first quarter. Blew the Swans away and had the game won.

34yo 355 game captain - 12 touches in the first quarter.
    34yo 327 game full forward - 2 brutish goals in the first quarter.
    33yo 255 game winger - 2 goals and great link up run in the first.

Experience does pay off sometimes.
    Providing you do your homework and understand how the player fits into the side the age of a player isn't as important as many think.
    Geelong have been very successful over an extended period and I wonder if any other club is willing to follow that approach of bringing in experienced players and topping up rather than rebuilding every 3 or 4 years.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Providing you do your homework and understand how the player fits into the side the age of a player isn't as important as many think.
    Geelong have been very successful over an extended period and I wonder if any other club is willing to follow that approach of bringing in experienced players and topping up rather than rebuilding every 3 or 4 years.
    The Swans brought 0 pressure that was one of the lamest Grand Finals I’ve ever seen. Was like a regular season game.

Those old guys need to get their joints hammered by some hard hits, not sure I saw one. It’s a lot harder to recover and you feel them more after a certain age. Smith played on his own. Crazy by the Swans.

The new rules to open the game have probably helped, and I also think the spread of talent across the board has dropped significantly with the 18 teams.

Credit to Geelong’s management of those old guys though they did a stellar job.

Thry really have a good idea where their list is at and what spots they need to fill. They improved with new additions.

Dalhaus came in as a small forward he’s replaced by Stengle.
    Higgins high half forward replaced by Close.
    Holmes probably took Menagolas spot who is good but slowish.
    Harry Taylor goes they get De Koning amazing drafting (We took Weightman at 15 he was 19)
    Henry basically plays the Henderson role now .

Their ability to know what they needed and to get it are second to none. List management is brilliant.

Resilient too I mean they were just as badly humiliated by the Demons last year, they turned it into motivation.

21. Likes DOG GOD, Sedat, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spotted a great post from a Swans fan on BF:

Well, again we shat the bed and unfortunately, yet again the Germans have a word for it: nestbeschmutzers - nest defilers.

We are serial nestbeschmutzers.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

23. Thanks jeemak, josie thanked for this post