Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs Indigenous Players

I was thinking with Liam Jones set to come back, that by the free agency window we’ve built back up our indigenous players up to three with Marra & Arthur Jones. Which for our club is high by historical records.

Is our highest level of indigenous players at one time 4?

Hill, Stack, Lynch, Harbrow (with Faulkner & Koops before, Skinner & Djekura after delistings/trades)

If so, there’s a chance that we could equal or better that club ‘best’ by the end of the trade and draft period. A nice achievement for the club, with the club having set out years ago to bolster indigenous talent on the list.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Indigenous Players

Huge opportunity for the club to add a robust indigenous program. Long overdue.

Post Thanks / Like

We have now set up a programme to welcome indigenous talent with Varcoe as the Development coach, plus every AFL club now has an Indigenous relations manager, plus we have one board member
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it me, or does anyone else see the irony with the suggestion we develop a program like the Hawks and Bombers to attract indigenous players a few years back.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was thinking with Liam Jones set to come back, that by the free agency window we’ve built back up our indigenous players up to three with Marra & Arthur Jones. Which for our club is high by historical records.

Hill, Stack, Lynch, Harbrow (with Faulkner & Koops before, Skinner & Djekura after delistings/trades)

If so, there’s a chance that we could equal or better that club ‘best’ by the end of the trade and draft period. A nice achievement for the club, with the club having set out years ago to bolster indigenous talent on the list.
    We do need to revisit this because I feel like we are coming up short with our indigenous talent identification.
    Jones coming in will help but we ideally need to continue to review this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We do need to revisit this because I feel like we are coming up short with our indigenous talent identification.
    Jones coming in will help but we ideally need to continue to review this.
    From a fan’s perspective, how good would I’d to have our own version of ‘Buddy & Cyril’? As well as some blistering leg speed that indigenous players have the gift of. I imagine a solid indigenous program and off field support in addition to Varcoe may help in attracting talent, but just as importantly, retaining our indigenous talent.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking with Liam Jones set to come back, that by the free agency window we?€™ve built back up our indigenous players up to three with Marra & Arthur Jones. Which for our club is high by historical records.

If so, there?€™s a chance that we could equal or better that club ?€˜best?€™ by the end of the trade and draft period. A nice achievement for the club, with the club having set out years ago to bolster indigenous talent on the list.
    So we’ve now equaled (I can best work out) our club record for indigenous players with four. Being Sanders, Liam Jones, Arty & Jamarra. If Arty can come on again this year, arguably all four players are best 23 by the end of next year.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we’ve now equaled (I can best work out) our club record for indigenous players with four. Being Sanders, Liam Jones, Arty & Jamarra. If Arty can come on again this year, arguably all four players are best 23 by the end of next year.
    Given we have now discovered Gilbee has indigenous heritage the record may actually be 5 since he was still on the list at the time?

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Given we have now discovered Gilbee has indigenous heritage the record may actually be 5 since he was still on the list at the time?
    That would make 5. Guess we have to draft another indigenous kid tonight to equal it…

Still I think it’s the best core indigenous group of talent we’ve ever had, or at least I’ve ever seen.