Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Adam Treloar to the Dogs revisted

I'm not in any way comparing the scenario that led to Adam Treloar's departure from the Pies and heading too us during the 2020 trade period with the announcement yesterday about the horrendous way Hawthorn mismanaged some of their indigenous players but I do want to explore how much say a club should have on their players.

Rather than acknowledge their concerns with Adam and then once it was confirmed that Kim and daughter were still making the move put something in place to support Adam and Kim in Buckleys own words "it was a "catalyst" for his departure from the club.

This is a copy from an ABC article that still makes me steam with the way Buckley talks about making an assessment on how Adam Treloars partner Kim Ravaillion moving to QLD to play netball.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says the Magpies were concerned about Adam Treloar's family situation and it was a "catalyst" for the AFL midfielder's departure from the club.
    Key points:

Treloar's partner Kim Ravaillion is relocating to Queensland with their infant daughter to play Super Netball
    Buckley said the Magpies were concerned how Treloar might be affected on a professional level
    Treloar was contracted to the Magpies until the end of the 2025 AFL season

Treloar joined the Western Bulldogs last Thursday night as one of four players offloaded by the Magpies to other clubs on the final day of the AFL's trade period.

The Magpies floated Treloar as a trade option during the last off-season before he re-signed with the club until 2025.

The 27-year-old's partner, Kim Ravaillion, is about to leave Melbourne with their infant daughter and play Super Netball with the Queensland Firebirds next year.

Treloar wanted to remain at the Magpies, where he played 94 matches after arriving in 2016 from Greater Western Sydney.

Buckley said Collingwood officials wondered how being in a long-distance relationship would affect Treloar's wellbeing.

"There's no doubt that was a catalyst in some shape or form," Buckley told SEN radio.

Buckley said the Magpies had conversations with Treloar about his family situation.

"The possibility that he might have been considering going to Queensland and being with his family was part of the reasoning around having the initial discussion 12 months ago, and then again this year," he said.

"Let's be clear, it's not our jobs to live Adam's life. Adam and Kim and their family are entitled to live their lives as they see fit.

"But it is our responsibility to work out on a professional level how that might affect Adam's ability to do his job, which is to play football and contribute to the club.

"We are within our rights to have an assessment of that given our knowledge of Adam."

The Collingwood AFL coach walks alongside one of the Magpies players before a match in Perth.

Buckley said there was no way Treloar's split from Collingwood could have been done "without trauma or pain".

"I am old enough and mature enough to understand in high-pressure situations, in situations that involve the heart, that unpredicted outcomes can occur," Buckley said.

"This is brutal. This was always going to be a shock and always going to cause distress."

Treloar, speaking on Friday, said Buckley told him senior Magpies players no longer wanted him at the club.

"To be told there are some players who don't want you there when I know that the majority of players love and care for me," he said.

"They were adamant on moving me on so no matter how they were going to go about it, it was going to happen.

"It was a fight up until the end because that's where I wanted to be, at Collingwood.

"I guess anything was going to be said to move me on."

The Magpies also arranged trades for Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi (both North Melbourne) and Tom Phillips (Hawthorn) last Thursday.

In his two years with us Treloar has been very professional and from an outsider looking in it hasn't impacted his football with us. To have the Collingwood club move him on under the guise of 'some of the players no longer want you here' is a terrible message to send to a player without the data behind it but also confirming that Kim's move to QLD played a part in his departure from the club is appalling.

So what do you think of clubs making this sort of assessment on players in their personal life? Rather that try to support Adam in what they thought would be a challenging period they just shuffled him away.

How many players might be subjected to this sort of control?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Treloar to the Dogs revisted

Not sure he still seems like a guy who is with us under duress.

He's been good, not 900k good.

Totally agree with the way he was discarded by the Pies and their reasoning being absolute rubbish.

I do have some concerns about his time with us though.

He's getting paid to be top 2 or 3 player on the list is barely top 10.
    Body language at times is terrible especially his second efforts.
    Bromance.
    His outside of the club endorsements where he rarely mentions the team.

I get we aren't paying 900k, but he's probably the most over paid player in the game, conceding he's been a reasonable player for us.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think it was a disgusting attempt to deflect attention from their salary cap incompetence. That Collingwood era was very big on seeking to blame others to avoid owning their mismanagement.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Stevo, Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I still think it was a disgusting attempt to deflect attention from their salary cap incompetence. That Collingwood era was very big on seeking to blame others to avoid owning their mismanagement.
    Agree. Not sure if we needed to help out though when we had a glut of mids.
    Lipinski has been as good as Treloar and we discarded him for pick 40 something.

Post Thanks / Like

The contempt Buckley had for Treloars position is surprising. I agree they have done little to support and used it as an opportunity to discard a problem. Effectively a deceitful salary cap dump.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Lipinski has been as good as Treloar and we discarded him for pick 40 something.
    The fly in that ointment is the MC wouldn’t select Lipinski nearly enough. So it’s a player they do select, for a player they wouldn’t. So by the MC logic, it’s perfect sense.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The fly in that ointment is the MC wouldn’t select Lipinski nearly enough. So it’s a player they do select, for a player they wouldn’t. So by the MC logic, it’s perfect sense.
    Yep spot on BT.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure he still seems like a guy who is with us under duress.

He's been good, not 900k good.

Totally agree with the way he was discarded by the Pies and their reasoning being absolute rubbish.

I do have some concerns about his time with us though.

He's getting paid to be top 2 or 3 player on the list is barely top 10.
    Body language at times is terrible especially his second efforts.
    Bromance.
    His outside of the club endorsements where he rarely mentions the team.

I get we aren't paying 900k, but he's probably the most over paid player in the game, conceding he's been a reasonable player for us.
    Can he be more a permanent centre bounce guy next year and show why he’s paid $900k?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Can he be more a permanent centre bounce guy next year and show why he’s paid $900k?
    We dropped a heap of weight off him, 10 kgs? Think he went from 90s to 80s.

Think the idea was to stop the soft tissue injuries which appears to have worked but we may have robbed him of his one wood.

Not sure the coaches have helped, playing him half back because Cameron destroyed us hardly seems like a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't discard Lipinski, he discarded us.

Here are their stats for the year, with Treloar having to play a lot of footy out of position to help the team. Lipinski has been good, but I don't imagine he's as good without a back story perpetuated by silly comments like "we discarded him". Treloar got 20% more footy than an inside mid and averaged almost twice the goals per game when playing games throughout the year in defence.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

I appreciate you wish we had have kept Lipinski, so do I, but it hasn't anything to do with Adam Treloar and it has everything to do with us not being able to fit Lipinski in which ironically wouldn't have been a problem if we just had have traded Dunkley when I proposed it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The part I wanted to focus on was the tactics Collingwood used to get rid of Treloar.
    I've seen nothing to suggest that the living arrangements he has with his partner is impacting his football with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He's a different player than Lipinski. Better on the outside and better on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We didn't discard Lipinski, he discarded us.

Here are their stats for the year, with Treloar having to play a lot of footy out of position to help the team. Lipinski has been good, but I don't imagine he's as good without a back story perpetuated by silly comments like "we discarded him". Treloar got 20% more footy than an inside mid and averaged almost twice the goals per game when playing games throughout the year in defence.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

I appreciate you wish we had have kept Lipinski, so do I, but it hasn't anything to do with Adam Treloar and it has everything to do with us not being able to fit Lipinski in which ironically wouldn't have been a problem if we just had have traded Dunkley when I proposed it.
    I feel that's really commentary to suit your narrative.

Surely you agree his lack of opportunity was the reaosn he left.

It was a token offer imo.

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The part I wanted to focus on was the tactics Collingwood used to get rid of Treloar.
    I've seen nothing to suggest that the living arrangements he has with his partner is impacting his football with us.
    Was getting to that bit.

I agree with abovementioned comments about Buckley trying to gaslight everyone about the trade when in essence they just botched their salary cap and did something unethical to justify making amends for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that's really commentary to suit your narrative.

Surely you agree his lack of opportunity was the reaosn he left.

It was a token offer imo.
    At least I tried to back my statements with some level of reasoning!

We valued others more in his preferred position and gave him opportunity to remain at the club and tried to play him in another position. How is that discarding him?

He wanted to play in a preferred position, and yes, left for that but again it's the emotive language and the fact he went to the Pies that lifts his profile.

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post