Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Treloar to the Dogs revisted

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    At least I tried to back my statements with some level of reasoning!

We valued others more in his preferred position and gave him opportunity to remain at the club and tried to play him in another position. How is that discarding him?

He wanted to play in a preferred position, and yes, left for that but again it's the emotive language and the fact he went to the Pies that lifts his profile.
    Yep fair call Jee.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I wonder is whether we'd be giving Lipinski a game if we didn't have Treloar.

In the one year they played together Lipinski played 11 games, Treloar played 17. Prior to that Lipinski counting back across the years leading up to that played 13, 14 and 17, meaning he was on a bit of a downward trajectory leading up to Treloar's recruitment anyway (I haven't looked at the reasons why he missed games in any of those years). Perhaps Bevo attempting to get him to play on a wing wasn't to do with needing to make an inside midfield spot available, but rather, an effort to see if he could play another role for us.

Anyway, GVGjnr will pull his skirt over his head if we keep derailing his thread, so that's enough on the topic.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The part I wanted to focus on was the tactics Collingwood used to get rid of Treloar.
    I've seen nothing to suggest that the living arrangements he has with his partner is impacting his football with us.
    Why focus on that, when we could rehash the same arguments about Lipinski?!?

I think Collingwood treated Treloar appallingly, and can definitely see the parallels to Hawthorn although the severity is worlds apart. I don't think an employer ever has the right to exert so much control or influence over their employees private lives.

In Treloar's case, I feel like they could have encouraged him to speak with a mental health professional, consider how he would manage with his family interstate, and if he felt that he needed to move he would be supported by the club. But as noted, the whole purpose of their approach was just to get rid of 2/3 of his salary - and they didn't give a damn about his mental health.

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Treloar any chance to follow Dunkley? Concerns about Brisbane's trade capital aside, his partner went to QLD as well
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Is Treloar any chance to follow Dunkley? Concerns about Brisbane's trade capital aside, his partner went to QLD as well
    Very interesting take.

Kind of makes some sense, maybe a GC trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I feel that's really commentary to suit your narrative.

Surely you agree his lack of opportunity was the reaosn he left.

It was a token offer imo.
    If that is the reason he left then I’m comfortable with that. A player with no position suited to the way we play unfortunately. Consistently not strong enough inside to play true midfield, despite his polish he lacks the leg speed to play forward (hurts team defence).

To me it looked like Collingwood started working out some of his limitations compared with others towards the end of the year. This is usually what happens with recruits, a quick spike before reverting to the player they already were. He registered below his season average for disposals in all of his last 8 games.

Pies may yet find a role for him but there was no clear role with us with or without Treloar in my view.

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The part I wanted to focus on was the tactics Collingwood used to get rid of Treloar.
    I've seen nothing to suggest that the living arrangements he has with his partner is impacting his football with us.
    Timely topic for discussion G.

In most other workplaces the catalyst that Buckley provided would fall under unfair dismissal. He’s making guesses that Treloar’s work performance would drop away, based on aspects of Treloar’s personal life that ought to be his alone to manage.

The Hawthorn situation is slightly different in that it seems at least with some players they saw a drop in performance and instead of simply addressing their concerns within the confines of the workplace they forcibly made dramatic changes to the players’ personal life.

Both instances there are boundaries that never should have been crossed. The AFLPA has a big role to play here in ensuring their members’ rights to a private personal life are upheld. No player should be a prisoner to the game.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

12. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Timely topic for discussion G.

In most other workplaces the catalyst that Buckley provided would fall under unfair dismissal. He’s making guesses that Treloar’s work performance would drop away, based on aspects of Treloar’s personal life that ought to be his alone to manage.

The Hawthorn situation is slightly different in that it seems at least with some players they saw a drop in performance and instead of simply addressing their concerns within the confines of the workplace they forcibly made dramatic changes to the players’ personal life.

Both instances there are boundaries that never should have been crossed. The AFLPA has a big role to play here in ensuring their members’ rights to a private personal life are upheld. No player should be a prisoner to the game.
    What I find disappointing is the way the media never scrutinized Buckley or Collingwood like they should have. It's a huge decision to move a player out based on their view on his off field arrangements with a committed partner. It doesn't look like there was even an offer to support him although had he not been shuffled away I think they would have.
    Treloar was not an erratic or immature youngster who was being reckless and there was no evidence to suggest that he and his partner couldn't manage the arrangement but based on a 'gut feel' he was tossed away from a club where he wanted to stay.
    Saying that other players at Collingwood wanted him gone was a dagger to his heart.

I think they used his circumstances to help address their salary cap challenges and they should be called to explain it further.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's a different player than Lipinski. Better on the outside and better on the inside.
    With Dunkley going, I’d expect his output and impact increase next year. His best on ball is sublime.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting we keep seeing the 'Treloar is getting $900k' talk.

Treloar is on $600k for us and should have been on that with Collingwood too, but delayed payments for the good of the club. They guy sacrificed salary up front to try and help the team, and got kicked to the curb. The top up Colingwood salary is a delayed payment of salary owed, not his market value.

He was our best player in the GF and one of our best that finals series.

I think he's likely to spend the last year of his contract in rehab, but I'll happily wear that knowing it got us into a Grand Final for the 4th time since 1925. You have to be in it to win it, and over our journey we just haven't been in it enough.

Right now we have two mids with pace who can adequately attend CBs - Treloar and Baz. For all the 'dime a dozen' talks we get about mids at draft time, good ones who can accelerate just aren't as common as we give them credit for.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

He's getting 5 x 900 so I guess that's our biggest salary for a player ? I get we aren't paying it all. But that's his wage.
    Other than Bont maybe Naughts that would be the highest

How much was the original contract with Pies must've been huge!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He's getting 5 x 900 so I guess that's our biggest salary for a player ? I get we aren't paying it all. But that's his wage.
    Other than Bont maybe Naughts that would be the highest

How much was the original contract with Pies must've been huge!
    It's only because he tried to do the right thing by Collingwood and pushed back the spread of money. They then didn't want to pay him.

This from 2019

The Herald Sun also reported Treloar had signed a four-year contract extension with the Magpies — a deal the club has opted not to publicise.

Treloar originally signed a six-year deal on around $650,000 per season when he was traded from the GWS Giants to Collingwood during the 2015 AFL exchange period.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma, Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's only because he tried to do the right thing by Collingwood and pushed back the spread of money. They then didn't want to pay him.

This from 2019

The Herald Sun also reported Treloar had signed a four-year contract extension with the Magpies — a deal the club has opted not to publicise.

Treloar originally signed a six-year deal on around $650,000 per season when he was traded from the GWS Giants to Collingwood during the 2015 AFL exchange period.
    That's good. And that's inline with his value I reckon. TBH, in some ways he's a steal at that price given what some players around the comp get when they go play at Carlton.

21. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all a bit of a disaster isn't it.

Must've taken significantly lower salary (400?).

So in total he's getting 650k per season which is about right.

900 x 5 with us 4. 5 mill so in the 5 years with the pies he was paid 2 mill. About 400k per year however it was structured. That's pretty terrible.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Clubs shouldnt be able to invade a players personal life like that and Buckley has no right to make that announcement in the public.
    We are lucky to have Adz at the club but he was treated poorly by Collingwood.

24. Likes bornadog liked this post