Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It’s Time: Save Josh Schache

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Right. Who said Danjul's name 3 times?
    Me. I like what Danjul has to say.

Might get him to knock us up a much needed contract thread.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes azabob, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Me. I like what Danjul has to say.

Might get him to knock us up a much needed contract thread.
    Just announced: 10 year contracts for Schache and Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Just announced: 10 year contracts for Schache and Sweet!
    You haven't heard that Lewis Young wants back as well?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With Lobb looking unlikely and Cordy leaving I think there's actually a good chance of Schache getting another crack at it in 2023. He might be competing with Bruce for the forward/ruck role.

Despite the last couple of years being disappointing for him, not playing many games at the top level, from what I've seen in the VFL he's probably playing the best footy of his career. My sense is that if he weren't on an AFL list right now, he'd be touted as a possible mature age recruit, and must have been desperately close to playing in our Elimination Final.

Having said that, he's clearly not in our future plans. Naughton, JUH and Darcy are the triple threat that could see us through the next 10 years. So do we persist in the hope that he can play a role in 2023, only to move him on afterwards? I'd say yes but wouldn't be surprised or annoyed if it went the other way.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In his time with the dogs Schache has had a few bad games. But he has been consistently good.

For example, let’s look at his disastrous 2022 season.

His last 5 games saw him playing ruck, forward and back.
    His possession count: 8 10 12 12 12. Goals 5.
    Reasonable and consistent.

What is the selection committee’s standard for selection?

Bruce’s 5 games: 2 3 5 9 11. Goals. 1

Schache averaged 11 possessions and a goal

but we preferred Bruce with 6 possessions and 0.2 goals.

As previous posts have shown, over the years Schache has had some fantastic AFL games for the dogs. But he has no future with them. I hope he can find a new home and get out of the doghouse.
    I all for axing both of them, unfortunately, Bruce has one more year on his contract, so we will have to satisfy ourselves with waving goodbye to the softest big man in the comp since Ayce Cordy.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Would be ironic that we fail to land a ruckman (Grundy, Meek etc), if we fail to land Lobb, as well as Cordy exiting after knocking back our contract, and then another club gives a contract to Josh and we are trying to convince him to stay because our best laid plans...?

Do the deal Sam, a one year extension. Lock it in today.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Would be ironic that we fail to land a ruckman (Grundy, Meek etc), if we fail to land Lobb, as well as Cordy exiting after knocking back our contract, and then another club gives a contract to Josh and we are trying to convince him to stay because our best laid plans...?

Do the deal Sam, a one year extension. Lock it in today.
    Why on earth would we lock him in before trade period is over? That would be serious mismanagement. I'm not against re-signing him but lets see how everything plays out first.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why on earth would we lock him in before trade period is over? That would be serious mismanagement. I'm not against re-signing him but lets see how everything plays out first.
    Don't agree with 'mismanagement'. I see the need to turnover 6 spots. Being Dunkley, Hunter, Cordy, Martin, Wallis & Butler.

If you see it from my vantage, I don't see the risk to us. The risk from this vantage is weighted to him leaving. Right now it's a one year deal on limited cash. I'd lock that down now.

The subtle hint to Freo is that we are working beyond their nonsense on Lobb. We aren't making our entire list management strategy around needing Freo to demand, expect and/or receive, a king's ransom for Lobb, if they do decide to trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I can't agree with this.

Schache performed solidly when given an opportunity except for game 1 and the Brisbane game.

His last game was against Sydney when we were horrid, but Josh was at least OK.

He missed the next game due to Covid and never returned. Josh Bruce then played without providing anything that matched Schache's output.
    The Covid miss unfortunately timed with the unsuccessful return of Bruce into the seniors and that was the reason why he was at Footscray where he performed as well as could be expected. Beveridge appears to rate effort more than skill and talent but we will have a team of plodders with good intentions if we keep following that.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't agree with 'mismanagement'. I see the need to turnover 6 spots. Being Dunkley, Hunter, Cordy, Martin, Wallis & Butler.

If you see it from my vantage, I don't see the risk to us. The risk from this vantage is weighted to him leaving. Right now it's a one year deal on limited cash. I'd lock that down now.

The subtle hint to Freo is that we are working beyond their nonsense on Lobb. We aren't making our entire list management strategy around needing Freo to demand, expect and/or receive, a king's ransom for Lobb, if they do decide to trade.
    What is the advantage in doing it now as opposed to waiting 1 week? Unless Schache was fielding other offers (and there is zero indication he is), there is only downside. Fringe players are often made to wait until after trade week when list spots are known. What if a last minute opportunity comes up but we are hamstrung by having rushed to sign Schache without any good reason?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the advantage in doing it now as opposed to waiting 1 week? Unless Schache was fielding other offers (and there is zero indication he is), there is only downside. Fringe players are often made to wait until after trade week when list spots are known. What if a last minute opportunity comes up but we are hamstrung by having rushed to sign Schache without any good reason?
    Pay out Crozier.

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pay out Crozier.
    Or wait 1 week and avoid knifing a guy who has likely done nothing wrong other than lose form. It's a dangerous message to send to prospective players and agents unless there is a good reason.

18. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or wait 1 week and avoid knifing a guy who has likely done nothing wrong other than lose form. It's a dangerous message to send to prospective players and agents unless there is a good reason.
    How I meant to put peer group pressure on Sam Power to sign Josh up today, without peer group pressure?

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce should have played a maximum of 2 games this season, that was a terrible selection.

22. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't shoot me down but for Josh's sake, I hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere. I don't think we'll see his best in Bulldog colours.

If he played every game he could quite possibly end up a 40 goal forward. Unfortunately, Bevo and the match committee value other attributes as equal to, if not more important than goalkicking. This isn't my belief but as we've seen with the selection of Bruce this year, the ability to compete and impact the contest is valued at a premium. It is the same reason Josh has failed to earn consistent opportunities and why he is continually overlooked.

I am not saying this is right, but we're not going to see the best of Josh. I hope he lands at a club that believes in him and gives him a good run because he is definitely capable.

I would love for him to stay and prove the doubters wrong but I don't think we'll give him the opportunity.

24. Likes macca liked this post