Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

'Bucky' Rates Western Bulldogs List

AFL: Gary Buckenara analyses the Western Bulldogs’ list after 2022 season

What the Bulldogs need to fix in 2023
    GARY BUCKENARA

The Bulldogs list is well balanced and in good shape on paper.

But it seriously disappointed this year on the field.

This group is capable of winning a flag and there will be some regrets amongst everyone involved if they don’t win one over the next three years.

They have 23 A, B and rising star ranked players and they also have some very good C grade depth players to call on and this gives them great depth to be able to cover injuries during a season.

The Bulldogs should have been a team in contention to win a flag over the past two to three years after winning one in 2016.

Even though they made the grand final in 2021 and started well in the first half of 2022, their capitulation in the second half of the season was very poor.

I thought that this would drive the Bulldogs even harder through the pre-season and into the season, but I do feel that the Bulldogs were one of the biggest underperforming teams in season 2022 given the top end talent on their list and rising stars coming through.

They have one of the best if not the best midfield in the competition with A graders Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar and Tim English as the ruckman.

Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale give them excellent ball use off half-back, while Aaron Naughton is an exciting forward who can be anything.

I actually had them as my highest rated side for the 2022 season, given this talent that they have.

But they must make a statement in 2023 and make the most of the talent they have on their list.

This comes down to the players firstly to do the work required and the coaching/development staff to get the best out of the group to achieve what they should.

HOW THE RATINGS WORK

At a club level, player ranking is generally based on gradings of A+, A, B+, B, C+, C and the developing players.

My rankings will focus on A, B, C and for the developing 20-year-old and under players will be rated as rising stars (RS) and those that need more time (NMT).

With the younger players, it is important to consider who is coming through and those who need longer to develop.

The most important areas for clubs to look at is how many A and B ranked players they have as well as the rising stars, who I believe should be A and B-grade players in the future.

A

Adam Treloar, 29

Marcus Bontempelli, 26

Jack Macrae, 27

Tom Liberatore, 30

Bailey Dale, 25

Aaron Naughton, 22

Caleb Daniel, 26

Tim English, 24

B

Josh Dunkley, 25

Bailey Smith, 21

Lachie Hunter, 27

Hayden Crozier, 28

Zaine Cordy, 25

Rhylee West, 21

Cody Weightman, 21

Ed Richards, 22

Tim O’Brien, 28

Laitham Vandermeer, 23

Bailey Williams, 24

Alex Keath, 30

Ryan Gardner, 25

C

Mitch Wallis, 29

Stefan Martin, 35

Josh Schache, 24

Taylor Duryea, 31

Toby McLean, 26

Josh Bruce, 30

Buku Khamis, 22

Charlie Parker, 24

Robbie McComb, 26

Anthony Scott, 27

Mitch Hannan, 28

Roarke Smith, 25

Riley Garcia, 21

Jason Johannisen, 29

Jordon Sweet, 24

Developing (20 years and under)

Rising stars:

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, 20

Sam Darcy, 18

Needs more time:

Louis Butler, 20

Dominic Bedendo, 19

Lachlan McNeil, 20

Arthur Jones, 18

Luke Cleary, 20

Cody Raak, 19

LIST BREAKDOWN:

A Grade: 8

B Grade: 13

C Grade: 15

Rising Stars: 2

Needs more time: 6

LIST NEEDS

With 21 A and B ranked players on their list with two rising stars under 21 that should develop into A or B graders, this tells us why the Bulldogs should have been a team in contention to win a flag over the past couple of years.

I still think they can be in contention to win a premiership, but there’s areas they need to address.

They need a tall defender, with question marks over Alex Keath and Ryan Gardner.

Are they going to be able to stop the best tall forwards in the league? They haven’t been able to in the past so I’m not sure that Keath and Gardner can do this without some more help.

I also think they need a skilled outside midfielder and another clever high half-forward marking player, either in the trade period or in the draft.

It will be a bit of a balancing act for the Bulldogs, I think they still have enough good top end players when we look at the list.

I think there still should be some optimism about them, despite them underachieving this year.

TRADE TARGETS

Liam Jones will to the Kennel in 2023 after missing 2022 with his vaccination issue.

He will be a great pick-up for the Bulldogs, there’s no doubt about that, and will really help their defence where they are lacking a top quality tall defender – which we have seen time after time with the Bulldogs.

Rory Lobb from Fremantle would be another great pick-up if they can get him from the Dockers.

He and Tim English should be a great combination as a ruck duo.

English should be the No. 1 ruckman and Lobb can play, as we know, forward.

In the Hawthorn three-peat we had the combination of Ben McEvoy and David Hale, and that is what I see English and Lobb potentially being if they can get him.

TRADE BAIT

Josh Dunkley wants out for the second time in the last couple of years so you have to wonder just how happy he has been there.

It will be a blow for them but sometimes as a club you just have to say let’s facilitate that and get the best deal we can.

Josh is a really good player, he is a great ball-winner and is tough as nails.

My knock on Josh sometimes and the reason why he isn’t an A grader for me is that his disposals can be a bit ordinary.

A bit like his old man, who I coached at Sydney. I watched a lot of videos of him and I said to him “mate I’ve been watching a lot of these videos of you and I don’t know if you are a left-footer or a right-footer” and he said “I don’t know either”.

And that worried me so I said to him he needs to be a really good handball player.

Josh isn’t like that but he isn’t the greatest user of the footy and if I’m a list manager I’m rating that highly especially in today’s game.

I think the Bulldogs need to be careful about potentially moving on some of their father-sons. That can cause a bit of damage.

You might find there is some interest in a Hayden Crozier, can they move him on.

Toby McLean has some real talent but he has had injuries, I’m sure there will be some clubs interested in McLean.

It will depend on what the Bulldogs want to do to improve this list and move on.

Is Roarke Smith a player they could deal on as well?

It’s a big call but a guy like Keath, who I think is a B grade player, have we seen the best of him?

Toby McLean will likely have clubs interested in him as an acquisition.

CRYSTAL BALL

The group of players needs to regroup and think deeply about the lessons they learnt in 2021 and 2022, that nothing comes easy in football especially in today’s tough environment, reflect and use the disappointments to drive them in 2023 and their preparations in the pre-season.

The Bulldogs supporters should be very disappointed, because this current group of players are capable of winning a flag and they should be a contender again for the next few years at least.

I said this last year, the words “if only” is something that this group does not want to be saying to each other in 10-15 years’ time at team reunions or catch ups.

Gentleman the time is now so seize the day and to never have any regrets because your time as a footballer goes very quickly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Bucky' Rates Western Bulldogs List

I think Bucky is being bold in this trade period...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I like reading Bucky's list assessments but his ratings of our players is seriously off the mark.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good assessment accept why is he talking up Mclean as trade bait? We just re-signed him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I like reading Bucky's list assessments but his ratings of our players is seriously off the mark.
    Yes there are some strange ones

I dont know how you get to be A+ but if Bont isnt at that level then you have to ask who is? Realistically Id ask the same of Naughton - its insanely difficult being a key forward surrounded by a floating cast of kids, and those returning from long term injuries

B

Josh Dunkley, 25 we are trading him but this doesnt make sense, I understand his disposal isnt perfect, but its crazy to think a guy getting a 6 year $4-4.5M+ deal isn't an A grader

Bailey Smith, 21 - can lift to A grader

Lachie Hunter, 27 - we really need to get him back to fringe A grade level, an intervention is needed

Hayden Crozier, 28 - ??? Was a B, but is now a C after the last two years

Zaine Cordy, 25- initially I debated this, but I guess he does play a tough spot on the ground, and has just signed a 3 year deal with the Saints, maybe Bucky is right

Rhylee West, 21; Cody Weightman, 21; Ed Richards, 22 - all three have A grade potential, Ed apart from the final, played at an A grade level in 2022, Rhylee flashed A grade potential, Weightman was inconsistent and a lot of that may be tied to the shoulder, but like other scribes I immensely dislike him flying at everything and spoiling our key forwards.

Tim O’Brien, 28 - ??? there is no case to justify Tims inclusion in the Bs apart from a Bucky unconscious hawk bias?

Laitham Vandermeer, 23 - ??? the hope is he can get to B grade after a big summer - but he hasnt consistently been able to play at this level yet, but Ive not given up on Laith

Bailey Williams, 24

Alex Keath, 30

Ryan Gardner, 25

C

Taylor Duryea, 31 - ?? Doesnt make sense to me, injured, yes, but when playing, clearly a B grader

Toby McLean, 26 - ?? Two knee recos have held him back, but there was enough to like in his finals performance to suggest he can return to the land of Bs

6. Likes Bullies, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure this is a 2022 assessment and not a holistic one. I may be wrong.