Pretty fun times ahead, say Lade

The acquisition of Brendon Lade is experience personified for the Bulldogs, finding a home at the Kennel with 12 years on a coaching resume.

The 46-year-old will take charge of a midfield stacked with talent and he can’t wait to get started.

“I am pretty excited actually,” Lade said.

“It is going to be pretty fun times going ahead I reckon. We’ve got a pretty good list and some real talent there.

“I am looking forward to imparting some of my knowledge onto the players and coaches.”

After spending time at St Kilda, the pull of the Bulldogs and a fresh challenge was enough for Lade to make his way across to Whitten Oval.

“A chance to go to another club – Bevo and Granty were pretty keen to talk to me and get me across,” he said.

“It’s nice to feel wanted and to come to a great club like the Bulldogs.

“Hopefully we can have some success sooner rather than later.”

Lade’s focus on connection and his knowledge of the game were key factors behind the acquisition.

“My big thing is I am all about connection and relationships – I like to develop that with players, coaches and the staff,” he said.

“My football knowledge, I think that is pretty good. Hopefully I can help people get better, I see the game quite well.

“There is a lot of talent through our midfield, that’s pretty exciting. We’ve got some real exciting key forwards, which are going to be great to work with.

“Obviously, I worked with Max King at St Kilda but Naughton, Darcy and Ugle-Hagan all in the forward line, that’s pretty exciting for the football club.”

First up on the agenda for Lade however; working with the class of Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae in the midfield.

“We’ve got some All-Australians in the midfield – a few have played in a premiership as well,” he said.

“It would be great to stay in the finals and go a bit deeper. Hopefully experience that success again because one is good but it would be nice to have a lot (premierships).”

Lade will team up with Luke Beveridge for the first time and has already had meaningful conversations with the premiership leader.

“I’m pretty pumped, you don’t get to work next to premiership coaches too often,” Lade said.

“I am coming in to learn, eyes wide open. Hopefully I can add bits here and there.

“Some of the chats we had, we aligned pretty well – we spoke for 90 minutes at his place the other day freely and easily, so hopefully that continues through our coaching journey.”