Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Footy, COVID & Thanks Giving

I was thinking, what can I give thanks for from footy. To re-affirm the things I love beyond wins-losses and our small community here. So I thought a thread about giving thanks can remind us all of things we love and that freedoms for next season will bring. It can just going to the footy, what you do before it, after it, who you go with or people you meet up with, sitting in the cheer squad, the banter and ‘feeling’ in a live crowd, getting to see the whole ground and see all players the camera can’t pick up or specific events or historical things. Whatever you like.

So me:

1.5m physical distance
    No yelling or singing
    No hand shaking
    Masks

I hate hugging. Hate it. Hugging strangers, not a chance. But the 2016 GF & moreso the Prelim. I give thanks for hugging strangers and being hugged by heaps strangers. Yelling in excitement back and forth at close range. Every dogs person after the Prelim on the grand hand shaking. I didn’t go the Parade which looked packed, but WO the next day after the GF was a huge mosh pit. Everything the opposite of the rules right now. I certainly give thanks for that camaraderie. I feel for any for the top 8 finals teams whose fans don’t get that.

What do you give thanks for footy pre COVID and/or what are you looking forward to next season?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 20-08-2021 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Typos
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy, COVID & Thanks Giving

I'm sorry what kind of maniac hates hugs?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm sorry what kind of maniac hates hugs?
    I didn’t get to save supermodel kittens from trees for a living and develop a fondness for their hugs.

I was more into physical distancing, gloves and medical grade alcohol way before COVID made it cool. COVID just gives me the cover to ignore people and avoid all human contact and unwanted interaction. Outside of the death, financial toll on people and lockdowns, I’m a fan. I’ve had my two Pfizer, but I think I’ll go on letting people think being in my space is somehow not in their interest. It’s only a matter of time before shopping centres are back open and some person flogging something I don’t need us going to start coming up to me. I’m thinking once we get passed 80%, my go to rebuff is ‘excuse me I’m unvaccinated and I’d hate to give you COVID if I had it by chance’. Pretty comfortable they leave me alone...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I didn’t get to save supermodel kittens from trees for a living and develop a fondness for their hugs.

I was more into physical distancing, gloves and medical grade alcohol way before COVID made it cool. COVID just gives me the cover to ignore people and avoid all human contact and unwanted interaction. Outside of the death, financial toll on people and lockdowns, I’m a fan. I’ve had my two Pfizer, but I think I’ll go on letting people think being in my space is somehow not in their interest. It’s only a matter of time before shopping centres are back open and some person flogging something I don’t need us going to start coming up to me. I’m thinking once we get passed 80%, my go to rebuff is ‘excuse me I’m unvaccinated and I’d hate to give you COVID if I had it by chance’. Pretty comfortable they leave me alone...
    Imma hug you to within an inch of your life one day.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Imma hug you to within an inch of your life one day.
    Prelim at GWS or GF win.

Pretty comfortable that’s not any time soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.

Covid Protocols for AFL

New Covid protocols in an AFL memo to clubs. "When an individual tests positive for COVID-19, they should remain absent from the Club for at least as long as it takes to become asymptomatic in their recovery."Managed by club doc, so no Stonis-style playing while Covid-positive
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks josie thanked for this post