Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  107
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2023 Jumper Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think only the fans think like this.
    I agree but that's really the essence of the issues people are raising - in a simple thing like jumper numbers, fan engagement through recognising history and emotional connections should be an easy box for the club to tick.

The Hawks did it when they drafted in their guns Roughead #35, Franklin #38, Lewis #40, Mitchell #28 etc. I don't REALLY care that Buss is in #5 but I do think higher numbers are more appropriate for draftees.

An issue for us is - who takes them? Our guns have made their names in their numbers, many winning flags. I'm sure it was offered to Dale, Naughton, English but they all must like the history they're creating for themselves.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we hold the numbers where does it end and what numbers do we hold?

So we hold 3,4,5,7,8 etc. until someone puts up their hand? What criteria do we use to determine if a player is ready or not?

By leaving them vacant for a period of time does it put even more pressure on the next player to receive that number?

Are things slightly different now with such reduced list sizes?

How would we feel if for example #4 was from now reserved for club captains?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith got 6 straight away didn't he?

I really don't care. 3 and 7 are numbers I like but I don't think it matters who wears them.
    They can forge their own new paths.

Post Thanks / Like

If you run through our established players and offer them 5 / 8 etc. and no-one wants them you have two options

1. Leave them vacant (and really these numbers were vacated by Dunkley who left a sour taste and Martin, a break glass player whose best was his early days at Brisbane) or 2. give them to some highly credentialed draft picks.

I'm all for building some confidence and expectation in these kids, use the numbers to show them we believe in them. I have no problem with Charlie in 8 he's done it the hard way and I have zero attachment to 5. I can't move on from Dunkley quick enough.

Personally rather Buss get 5 than vacate it for a year allowing Dunkley to think we're respectfully hanging it up in respect of a Premiership Player and Best and Fairest.

Kids are different today they need more management, more positive reinforcement. Maybe that's a problem I dunno but earning numbers is a bit 1980s to me. Did anyone blink an eyelid at Marra getting Bob's number 2 after 5 games in 2021?

This is kinda the same thing.

7. Likes Jasper, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bailey Smith got 6 straight away didn't he?

I really don't care. 3 and 7 are numbers I like but I don't think it matters who wears them.
    They can forge their own new paths.
    Agree. Numbers like 42, 39, 38 etc are just as special to me as any single digit ones.
    The curse is dead.

9. Likes Grantysghost, Dogs 24/7, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it that the high numbers are reserved for the VFL Team. An AFL player should be allowed to pick a high number if it is free. All players for all Dogs' teams should have a unique number in the Club, not the team they play in, AFL, VFL, AFWL, VFWL. That number should be for the entire career at the Club, no changing or "upgrades."
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Agree. Numbers like 42, 39, 38 etc are just as special to me as any single digit ones.
    43 - Rocket Rod McPherson
    WOOF Member 422

12. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the attraction of the low numbers. Make the most of the number number you get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Number 31 is the dearest number to me at our club same as it is for Melbourne. Nearly killed me when I saw Peter Street running around in it.

15. Likes chef, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Number 31 is the dearest number to me at our club same as it is for Melbourne. Nearly killed me when I saw Peter Street running around in it.
    Yep, it was a number I always followed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Alvey hey... Well it takes all sorts.

19. Likes mjp liked this post