Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
    Post Thanks / Like

A rather personal connection to the club and oval.

OK Mods, I'm up for it if you deem OK.
    Born in 81 Droop Street, stll there with medico students when last visited. I grew identity with Footscray and footy, Teddy and John Schultz were me or part of me and remain so till I die. No choice.
    Dear John I hope to meet you one day.
    So personally today I had a mini breakdown, now negotiated and wiser.
    Just worked out I have unconscious anger affecting me, mostly with the women I love.
    I feel they do not love me and feeling, caring me is unconsciously angry.

Here's the hook. I get it now and realise same with Footscray.
    We left for The Basin and there was only one other kid supporting us.
    We were unloved and disrespected I felt and was angry, not my Footscray you don't!
    It became a theme for me throughout my life I realised today.
    Then an advertising committee changed our name.
    Not my Footscray you don't.
    Guess what?
    I think many WOOFERs and people are the same:
    unconsciously angry at being disrespected or not loved enough, dear ones.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A rather personal connection to the club and oval.

Love the passion Bids.

I grew up with Foot a scray.

I don't particularly like the current name, however in terms of success if you look back from 97 on its unprecedented since 1925.

Not sure I want to go back, however I get your premise.
    As Footscray, we should be proud.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be something in that. Thanks for sharing.

The flag that wagged, we wouldn’t change it for the world, but it’s still been something to negotiate. We built our identity around hanging on because the Day is Getting Closer, so when the flag wagged, we also lost something too. Sounds dumb, but I feel it, maybe it’s just me.

Doubly so because the football we played in 15/16 was like a physical expression of who we all want to be and think we are. 21 went beyond that and at times our best football is perfection. When it’s not, it’s a long way off what we experienced a few years ago. I need to see more of that, you can’t offer it up like do and then put it away. It’s cruel!

I hate things just being a given. The way our pioneering women’s team have been ravaged as cast aside by the expansion, as if we aren’t a big, well supported club in that space. Everyone has just fallen into the preferred narrative that has existed around us in media and footy circles. The slow reversion to type after the flag that wagged, eerily similar in some respects to post 54, if I’ve understood the anecdotes correctly.

FNWB debates are done. I still use our real name and feel that deep connection with it and the place. It’s important. The footy club is important. Want to see people fight and fight hard for the joint.

That’s my hope for next year. We somehow find some snarl, and really stir up that sense of what it means to be one of us. Play good footy, pick a fight. Stick it up ‘em. All that stuff.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

5. Likes WBFC4FFC, josie, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mind the name. I’ve had nearly three decades to get used to it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes SquirrelGrip, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have our Footscray our VFL side with merch to match

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Love the passion Bids.

I don't particularly like the current name, however in terms of success if you look back from 97 on its unprecedented since 1925.

Fot a scray mate yeh.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    We have our Footscray our VFL side with merch to match
    Simon Garlic wrote a return email to me at the time of proposed changes back to traditional jumper from robo dog and naming of our VFL team thanking me for feedback.
    Simon was on my side of Footscray importance to our identity I think.

12. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Love the passion Bids.

I think you recognise my inference of forming identity personally and for the RWB Bulldogs.
    I find this primal connection fascinating.
    We may have several partners in a life time but never lose primal connection to our loyalty for our footy club or else lose our soul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Might be something in that. Thanks for sharing.

The flag that wagged, we wouldn’t change it for the world, but it’s still been something to negotiate. We built our identity around hanging on because the Day is Getting Closer, so when the flag wagged, we also lost something too. Sounds dumb, but I feel it, maybe it’s just me.

Doubly so because the football we played in 15/16 was like a physical expression of who we all want to be and think we are. 21 went beyond that and at times our best football is perfection. When it’s not, it’s a long way off what we experienced a few years ago. I need to see more of that, you can’t offer it up like do and then put it away. It’s cruel!

I hate things just being a given. The way our pioneering women’s team have been ravaged as cast aside by the expansion, as if we aren’t a big, well supported club in that space. Everyone has just fallen into the preferred narrative that has existed around us in media and footy circles. The slow reversion to type after the flag that wagged, eerily similar in some respects to post 54, if I’ve understood the anecdotes correctly.

FNWB debates are done. I still use our real name and feel that deep connection with it and the place. It’s important. The footy club is important. Want to see people fight and fight hard for the joint.

That’s my hope for next year. We somehow find some snarl, and really stir up that sense of what it means to be one of us. Play good footy, pick a fight. Stick it up ‘em. All that stuff.
    Brilliant post SoS!
    Everyword, every expressiin of our forming idenity, the hurt from women's team being stolen by new clubs who weren't interested initially unlike us.
    All the things we feel were stolen, '97 prelim n Libba's goal, Chris Grant's brownlow, this season I feel stolen by an all too human but unprofessional reaction by players and coaches to club's decision about Rohan Smith, hurt and anger there from me and who knows who?

Post Thanks / Like

I was born on Byron Street in Footscray. Just around the corner from Droop street. I'm a 4th generation native of Footscray even though we live in Yarraville now. My grandmother, my mum, my uncles and aunts and my kids all went to Hyde at.

You're right about the women in your life. There have been several in mine but only ever one footy club. I don't have tattoos of any of my partners but I have had a Bulldogs tat since 1989.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was born on Byron Street in Footscray. Just around the corner from Droop street. I'm a 4th generation native of Footscray even though we live in Yarraville now. My grandmother, my mum, my uncles and aunts and my kids all went to Hyde at.

You're right about the women in your life. There have been several in mine but only ever one footy club. I don't have tattoos of any of my partners but I have had a Bulldogs tat since 1989.
    I am the son of an immigrant and born in Footscray and District Hospital, lived in Wales st and later Barkley st until we moved out to West Sunshine when a new suburb was being born. My Dad who arrived in 1951, love the footy and first went to games in the 50s, before he was married with his cousins and friends - all born overseas. There was always going to be one club for me and my siblings.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Thanks macca thanked for this post