Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW Pride Jumper

I note the club blurb accompanying the new AFLW Pride jumper. "Designed by members of the AFLW playing group in consultation with the Bulldog Pride supporter group, the guernsey reflects the transgender flag with the traditional red, white and blue hoops swapped out for pastel blue, white and pink."

However, I am surprised at the choice of theme. A couple of years ago the AFL were absolutely determined to prevent transwoman Hannah Mouncey becoming an AFLW player. Surely this reeks of hypocrisy, nothing new for the AFL.

If, by chance there is a transgender woman playing in the AFLW, I think she would do well to keep her mouth shut. That is if she wishes to continue to play.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW Pride Jumper

It is interesting considering what you've said.

My guess is it's more supporting the entire community.

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    My guess is it's more supporting the entire community.
    An old friend once told me, when the words and actions differ, believe the actions. This is just AFLW virtue signalling at its most blatant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    An old friend once told me, when the words and actions differ, believe the actions. This is just AFLW virtue signalling at its most blatant.
    Pride round has been going for a few years now
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really understand why any of this offends people.

Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, it's what I'd like for everyone I care about and those I mentor.

Politics aside at the end of the day it's about community; people. Without that we don't have anything.

Understand the OP and the apparent contradiction but maybe it's just simply about respect at the end of the day.

Dickens illustrated the dichotomy of opinion and class perfectly in a Tale of Two Cities, I always read this and smile and wonder if we will ever end division. Probably not!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the frustration but it’s not exactly Carlton pulling on a Pride jumper after specifically refusing to endorse the Yes vote. The AFL’s half pregnant stance on trans players was and remains pathetic but this is something of a positive step.

I would like to think that shows of support like our jumper might actually foster inclusion for trans players, if not from the governing body then at least at the Western Bulldogs.

Jumper looks awesome for what it’s worth.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes EasternWest, azabob, Testekill, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am actually confused; is the OP actually having a go at the club for trying to become a more inclusive environment?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm picking up what you're putting down. FWIW I 100% support the gay and transgender communities; however, I coach girls football and I still struggle with the idea of a Hannah Mouncey playing AFLW. I just think there remains an unfair size and strength advantage that makes it unfair to the majority. My opinion.

I have no problem with our club coming out in support of the transgender community and think it's great the flag is included on our pride jumper. I guess I sound very much like a hypocrite as well.

One day we'll have a transgender league I have no doubt about it but that is a long way off.

11. Likes chef, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The jumper

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I am actually confused; is the OP actually having a go at the club for trying to become a more inclusive environment?
    No, I was pointing out the irony of an AFLW club having a guernsey based on the transgender flag, given that when the AFLW had the chance to walk the walk they fell short of the inclusion they espouse.

FWIW, I have no problem with the club being genuinely inclusive, but this smacks of wanting to be seen as inclusive. Which is an entirely different thing.

I actually quite like the jumper and will probably buy one to add to my collection of jumpers over the years.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I was pointing out the irony of an AFLW club having a guernsey based on the transgender flag, given that when the AFLW had the chance to walk the walk they fell short of the inclusion they espouse.

I have no problem with the club being genuinely inclusive, but this smacks of wanting to be seen as inclusive. Which is an entirely different thing.

I actually quite like the jumper, and will probably buy one to add to my collection of jumpers over the years.
    It's not a transgender flag, but trans people are represented.

16. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's not a transgender flag, but trans people are represented.
    I quote the club view, "the guernsey reflects the transgender flag with the traditional red, white and blue hoops swapped out for pastel blue, white and pink".

Post Thanks / Like

I quote the club view, "the guernsey reflects the transgender flag with the traditional red, white and blue hoops swapped out for pastel blue, white and pink".
    Well that is not correct and should be changed by club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Well that is not correct and should be changed by club.
    No you are incorrect BAD and the club is correct. This is the Trans Gender flag and quite clearly the jumper is based on it.

Last edited by SquirrelGrip; 11-10-2022 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

20. Thanks Jeanette54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    No you are incorrect BAD and the club. This is the Trans Gender flag and quite clearly the jumper is based on it.

It's meant to be pride round. This narrows it down.