Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which clubs have been winning from the expansion teams:

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We won a flag partly due to expansion. So I reckon we're winners.
    I remember at the time I thought we would struggle to recover from being bad at the same time as expansion - it pushed back what should have been good draft picks (e.g. Clay Smith being pick 15, when in a normal season we would have had pick 5), and I thought it would make it a lot harder to bring in quality players.

When you look back at the 2012 ladder, the bottom 7 spots were (starting in 12th) Richmond, Brisbane, Port, Dogs, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS. Those teams have now contributed for 5 flags, 7 grand final appearances and a lot of prelim finals. So my fears were not really justified at all.

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I remember at the time I thought we would struggle to recover from being bad at the same time as expansion - it pushed back what should have been good draft picks (e.g. Clay Smith being pick 15, when in a normal season we would have had pick 5), and I thought it would make it a lot harder to bring in quality players.

When you look back at the 2012 ladder, the bottom 7 spots were (starting in 12th) Richmond, Brisbane, Port, Dogs, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS. Those teams have now contributed for 5 flags, 7 grand final appearances and a lot of prelim finals. So my fears were not really justified at all.
    I think a few clubs were jolted into action and figured they'd be cooked if they didn't get their acts together.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think a few clubs were jolted into action and figured they'd be cooked if they didn't get their acts together.
    Interestingly Hawthorn cited the reason they traded hard was because of Tassie coming in. Not sure they made the right move though.
    More of an In Bruges guy?