Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  278
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2022 Trade Period - After 7.30pm Wednesday Night

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    He’s got to want to come to us.
    Yep...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Picks 11, 21 & 39 to the draft this year unless swaps prior to the draft.
    Note: Brisbane will have two father/sons pushing 11 back to 12, and then probably 21 into Pick 23, and Pick 39 to Pick 41.

But they will burn through 34, 35, 36 & 38 to match them. Meaning Pick 41 comes into Pick 37.

So most likely, Picks 12, 23 and 37 taking Brisbane's activities out of it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why all the negativity. Considering the crap hand we had with out of contract Dunkley and under contract Lobb, we have extracted every possible ounce of value out of the situation. Structurally we are better with ruck/forward cover (not my first choice but Lobb is clearly AFL quality) and proven AFL quality key defensive cover in Jones (albeit not without risk). Hunter and Schache are genuine fringe players, rightly or wrongly - we have lost midfield depth but it is one area we have cover and it is easy to bring in quality mids through the draft (unless you are Essendon).

Furthermore we retain 3 picks in the top 40 this year and have a much stronger draft hand next year.

Plus we have more incremental improvement in our list than most teams. The likes of Darcy and Marra have enormous scope for improvement, and we retain an elite core of senior players who are very much in their prime.

Unlike 12 months ago, the club can't be accused of sitting on their hands. We've brought in AFL quality in specific areas of need and kept a strong draft hand to ensure the best chance of bringing in more quality youth (which we need).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Not sure why all the negativity. Considering the crap hand we had with out or contract Dunkley and under contract Lobb, we have extracted every possible ounce of value out of the situation. Structurally we are better with ruck/forward cover (not my first choice but Lobb is clearly AFL quality) and proven AFL quality key defensive cover in Jones (albeit not without risk). Hunter and Schache are genuine fringe players, rightly or wrongly - we have lost midfield depth but it is one area we have cover and it is easy to bring in quality mids through the draft (unless you are Essendon).

Furthermore we retain 3 picks in the top 40 this year and have a much stronger draft hand next year.
    You're not wrong but it still feels meh.

I was ambivalent at best about Lobb, but now it's done I'm interested to see how Lobb goes - he definitely fits into a spot we need.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Footscray's loss is Casey's gain.
    St Kilda has a new scape goat.
    Brisbane has a midfielder who wins the hardball and turns it over.

We have a new weekly game...guess what colour Lobb's hair will be.
    And we have an old key defender until the next Flu season.
    Footscray member since 1980.

7. Thanks chef, kruder thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, F'scary, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the best trade period for us ever and not the worst either.

A bit uninspiring.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why all the negativity. Considering the crap hand we had with out of contract Dunkley and under contract Lobb, we have extracted every possible ounce of value out of the situation. Structurally we are better with ruck/forward cover (not my first choice but Lobb is clearly AFL quality) and proven AFL quality key defensive cover in Jones (albeit not without risk). Hunter and Schache are genuine fringe players, rightly or wrongly - we have lost midfield depth but it is one area we have cover and it is easy to bring in quality mids through the draft (unless you are Essendon).

Plus we have more incremental improvement in our list than most teams. The likes of Darcy and Marra have enormous scope for improvement, and we retain an elite core of senior players who are very much in their prime.

Unlike 12 months ago, the club can't be accused of sitting on their hands. We've brought in AFL quality in specific areas of need and kept a strong draft hand to ensure the best chance of bringing in more quality youth (which we need).
    I think the deals we did were handled well, and we got the best value we could. Hunter with a decent contract and off field issues was not worth much, Shack is unlikely to play AFL. Dunks was out of contract but we held out for the best deal we could get from Brisbane, and had to slightly overpay for Lobb but I have no issue with that for a key best 22 piece.

My issue is the deals we didn't make, or weren't linked to. Grundy, Meek, Bowes, Rioli, Gunston and I'm sure others all would have improved our team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    How many minus signs are you allowed to put after Z.
    Can't imagine what you'd rate it if we lost Bont instead if that's what our 4th-6th best mid leaving elicits.

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m ok with this. Getting something for Dunkley - tick
    Moving on Hunter - tick
    Schack - tick as Bevo wouldn’t play him. Better than delisting him
    Jones in to replace Cordy - tick
    Cordy out - tick we would delist anyway in coming years
    Picks 11 & 21 tick

Let’s let Power do his thing and turn these picks into gold.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

13. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our trade period was basically as good as it could have been. Moved on two players going nowhere, cut a bad influence in Hunter and extracted maximum value for Dunkley from a team that refused to deal in good faith.

15. Likes Bumper Bulldogs, F'scary, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why all the negativity. Considering the crap hand we had with out or contract Dunkley and under contract Lobb, we have extracted every possible ounce of value out of the situation. Structurally we are better with ruck/forward cover (not my first choice but Lobb is clearly AFL quality) and proven AFL quality key defensive cover in Jones (albeit not without risk). Hunter and Schache are genuine fringe players, rightly or wrongly - we have lost midfield depth but it is one area we have cover and it is easy to bring in quality mids through the draft (unless you are Essendon).

Good reasoned post. Tbh I don’t think we have done too badly. We have brought in a decent ruck/ forward - tick. Another tall proven back man (no doubt some risk) - tick. These are two areas of need. We will also have a reasonable draft hand. 3 picks within the top 40. Good effort for a team that is still clearly in a premiership window.

Losing Dunks hurts. However the other three leaving, whilst disappointing are hardly players that make us much better.

Hopefully we can pick up a ready to go mid in the draft that has some speed.

Our forward structure will be Marra, Lobb and Naughton.
    Our defensive structure will be Jones, Gardner and Keath
    We also have Darcy that can play both ends.
    English as well that can play ruck/ forward.

Have we ever had such an abundance of talls? I remember when we were all hoping Adam Morgan would be something before going down with an injury.

The addition of Lobb will mean less time up forward for Bont which equates to more midfield time. This is like recruiting a new midfielder- he is back where he belongs. Our midfield will be Bont, Macrae, Smith, Treloar, Libba, West, Garcia.
    We need to find a new wingman to replace Hunter - maybe JJ, Roarke, Bendendo or Williams. Cleary could also be tried in this role.

Then we have the likes of Daniel, Dale, Richards and Duryea in defence.

Thinking the only role that is missing is a genuine crumber. Would love to see someone step up in this role.

Reiterating what Sedat said I am not sure why all the negativity.
    Last edited by whythelongface; 12-10-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Forgot about English

17. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, F'scary, Scorlibo thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Sedat, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    My issue is the deals we didn't make, or weren't linked to. Grundy, Meek, Bowes, Rioli, Gunston and I'm sure others all would have improved our team.
    I'm on a unity ticket with you on Grundy. We now have 2 forward/rucks who have very similar skill sets instead of a primary ruck to compliment English and allow him to thrive as a natural forward/ruck. But we are all chips in on English as the big dog - he now has to step it up big time against the best rucks in the competition, because we have sunk a lot of cost into that investment thus far for no silverware return as yet.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

We brought in 2 players that are best 22.

We lost 1 player that is best 22.

We lost a different player that used to be best 22 before he went of the rails and sometimes plays a good game but also maybe slows our ball movement down so much he's something of a liability

We lost a whipping boy no one likes

We lost a whipping boy a few people REALLY like but most of us probably see as depth at best

We gained a future first and pick 21.

I get there was no big name signing, no superstar dramatic addition to the team. IMO that wouldn't make us better. Before worrying about getting the cream we need to bake the cake. Sure we could add the best full back in the league to our team but would it have mattered against Melbourne in 21? Or Freo in the second half this year?

The improvement has to come from within. That's something Bevo is capable of. I hope that Hunter and Dunkley leaving maybe helps lead to that.

20. Likes whythelongface, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I hope that Hunter and Dunkley leaving maybe helps lead to that.
    This is a big interest for me going fwd. There were definite issues within the playing group this year, and these 2 “might” have been a big part of that. Will be interesting to see how galvanised we are next year.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The improvement has to come from within. That's something Bevo is capable of. I hope that Hunter and Dunkley leaving maybe helps lead to that.
    So you mean West, JUH, Darcy, Bruce, McClean and Weightman. I’m confident and can live very comfortably with that. Bring on 2023 I’m backing the boys in.

Name another club that has this much raw talent ready to explode
    Last edited by Bumper Bulldogs; 13-10-2022 at 07:27 AM.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

23. Likes Twodogs liked this post