Team, Round 1 2023

Something like???

B: Gardner Jones Richards
    HB: Dale Keath Daniel
    C: Johanissen Treloar Liberatore
    HF: McLean Ugle-Hagan Garcia
    F: Weightman Naughton Lobb
    R: English Bont Macrae
    I: B. Smith Duryea/R. Smith Williams Bruce (5th - Darcy, minutes forward, back and/or ruck only if required)
    E: West R. Smith/Duryea Scott Vandermeer

Questions:

Bruce - KPD or KPF?

Darcy - KPR or KPF?

Keath - Can his hamstrings let him go back to the incepting gun defender he was before we recruited him?

Intepting types if not Keath - Khamis or O'Brien up to the task?

JJ - Can he play wing?

West - Offered to fight for the spot in the mideifled opened up by Dunkley, or small forward?

Bolters currently on the list who could surprise into Round 1?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Something like???

I: B. Smith Duryea/R. Smith Williams Bruce (5th - Darcy, minutes forward, back and/or ruck only if required)

Questions:

Bruce - KPD or KPF?

Darcy - KPR or KPF?

Keath - Can his hamstrings let him go back to the incepting gun defender he was before we recruited him?

JJ - Can he play wing?

West - Offered to fight for the spot in the mideifled opened up by Dunkley, or small forward?

And don't forget the draftees too BT. Might be ready first up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    And don't forget the draftees too BT. Might be ready first up.
    No pressure on the kids. We could use Pick 11 on a ruckman and develop him for 6 years into a gun ruckman.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

No pressure on the kids. We could use Pick 11 on a ruckman and develop him for 6 years into a gun ruckman.
    Ha ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

B: Duryea, Jones, Gardner

HB: Dale, Keath, Richards

C: Williams, Libba, Macrae

HF: Mclean, Naughton, Jamarra

F: Weightman, Lobb, JJ

R: English, Bont, B.Smith

Int: Treloar, Daniel, Darcy, West

EMG: Crozier, Khamis, Garcia
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes Swoop, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something like???

Questions:

Bruce - KPD or KPF?

Darcy - KPR or KPF?

JJ - Can he play wing?

Id have West in for Duryea and swap him with Garcia.

Khamis played forward a bit and did ok, very good set shot. Then went back and seemed more in tune with what he had to do so he could definitely be more of a fixture if he continues to develop.

Williams not sure where he’s at, had a really average year he has some work to do to be a starter for mine. Played up on the wing a fair bit with Richards doing so well back and Treloar moved to half back for a big chunk of the season.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    HB: Dale, Keath, Richards
    Well and truly in the veterans category but has extraordinary staying power.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Bench
    B: Richards Gardner Dale Dureya
    HB: Daniel Jones Keath
    C: JJ Libba Williams Scott
    HF: Baz JUH McLean
    F: Weightman Naughton Lobb West/Garcia
    R: English Bont Macrae Treloar
    E: Bruce Roarke Vanders Sweetie/Martin

That's my attempt. Draft permitting. I'd like a forward to replace Garcia TBH.

I could also see Scott or Roarke replacing one or both of Williams and JJ on the wing. JJ maybe moving out Garcia.

EDIT: Further explaining. I feel sticking Libba or Macrae on the wing is the wrong way to go. Might work with Baz or Adam but I think we should run our mids through the middle. Baz, Adam and Bont can spend some time forward and otherwise can rest on the bench. Libba and Macrae are bench or guts. Gives us options, flexibility and depth without having too many cooks.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Gardner, Jones, Richards
    HB: Dale, Darcy, Khamis
    C: B Smith, Bont, Williams
    HF: Daniel, JUH, JJ
    F: Lobb, Naughton, Weightman
    R: English, Macrae, Libba
    I: Treloar, West, McLean, Cleary

[Edit: McLean in for Scott]
    Last edited by F'scary; 26-10-2022 at 01:17 PM. Reason: forgot McLean
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    B: Gardner, Jones, Richards
    HB: Dale, Darcy, Khamis
    C: B Smith, Bont, Williams
    HF: Daniel, JUH, JJ
    F: Lobb, Naughton, Weightman
    R: English, Macrae, Libba
    I: Treloar, West, Cleary, Scott
    Cleary is an interesting one. Hopefully he can put himself next in line so when we get an injury (probably Taylor) he can step in and get some experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Cleary is an interesting one. Hopefully he can put himself next in line so when we get an injury (probably Taylor) he can step in and get some experience.
    I was impressed with both Clearly and Khamis when I saw them play in 2022. They have a great spread of skills, including overhead and they are rangy, pacy types. Playing Khamis as a deep marking forward did not do him any favours, he looks much better up the ground.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Doc has JUH on the wing. I would have him at HFF.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The back 6 looks fairly solid and settled with the key question being continuity of our talls.

Midfield depth remains good.

Wing is an interesting one, with a few options - Williams, JJ, Treloar, Smith, Daniel, Dale all potentially having the right stuff.

I wonder if Buku could develop into a wing?

Our challenge in the forward half is finding the right mix and enough minutes to develop while winning. A genuine crumber is a gap too.

Post Thanks / Like

How I'd go about it:

Backline

KPDs

Liam Jones. Obviously great if he hasn't lost too much from 2021 as was really good in that combo role, also played huge TOG.

Two remaining spots: Gardner/Keath/Darcy
    Hard to know with Keath. If he is anything like his old self, he gets a spot. Gardner we know what we get, but he is still very limited. Darcy I love long term but he is really intercept mark or nothing and can be really exposed at this stage. Juice is there as an option as well I guess, as he will be with the KPFs. I see him as a long way off but maybe a strong pre-season will do him wonders.

Small-medium defenders
    Ed- Locked in a spot as medium defender who is well rounded
    Caleb- for me he needs to stay back as I think he will struggle with the 1:1 hit ups on the wing and the running. Might be a different case if his knee is ok and can get on him his bike. Can move up the ground at times.
    Adz- combining CBAs with running off HBF. Caleb/Adz down back at the same time leave us exposed though.
    Doc- I'd have him in there too starting the season if he goes okay during the pre-season. Can defend and offers leadership/IQ down back.

Ok that's 7.

Midfield

CBAs/engine room

If there is something to gain out of loss of Dunkley, it's being a bit more fluid with our CBAs. I'd like to see Bevo being a bit more adaptive with our mix. Mostly when Baz is struggling/killing it and how we use Bont.

Macrae- I'd just about have only in the middle
    Libba- mostly in middle with some time forward
    Bont- obviously our biggest asset. CBAs when we are struggling. Balance mid/fwd a bit but prefer him in the guts unless we are clicking in the middle
    Baz- I think he is the one who can free up Bont to play more forward if he is flying/being able to break away from contests and not getting lost with the defensive side of things. I think he gets too sucked in/loses position to play on the wing. Maybe forward when he is struggling with CBAs.
    Adz- combining middle with HBF. A bit like Baz in offering run/getting lost with defensive side of things. One Bevo really needs to manage well on match day.
    Tobias- we gotta find a place for him in the side. Mid, tagging, forward, maybe wing? Idk. Just love his competitiveness too much. Please don't play a McComb over him.

Wings

Dale- I know it's a big risk and I get people saying just leave him at HBF. Idk the internal info and if I did, perhaps I wouldn't even consider the move but where I go. His finishing is elite. He would do well with the defensive stuff and 1:1 hit ups. I think we need a more offensive type wing and he is the best option.

Roarke/Truck/Scott- more in a defensive wing role. Ensuring they are least do the cardio load and make it hard for the Langdons to find space. At least one spot for them, probably two. I actually like Roarke forward too, I have him in anyway. I'm going to say we play all 3 in one role or another.

OK that makes 15 I think.

Ruck combo

English and Lobb. I would like to see a bit more of a ruck share than traditional R1/R2. English mainly in the ruck and Lobb mainly forward but mix it up, particularly when English is struggling in the ruck. I like the overall package we get from Tim in the ruck but he can have passages of getting really dominated. I think we try in Lobb a bit during these times. I would like Bevo to be a bit more like that than trusting the process, but he is a premiership coach and I am posting here on a Tuesday morning in late October.

That's 16

Forwards

KPFs

Naughts, Mara and Lobb as R2/F
    Think they are the right combo atm. Think Darcy/Juice as the fourth is a bad idea because of a combo of lack of pressure + not bringing enough combo. If they are all awesome, happy to re-address that.

Small-mediums

Cody- would love to see a bit more of a balance between the flying and crumbing/pressure stuff.
    West- hopefully a strong pre-season and a bit more development. We don't really have any natural small forward do we?
    Garcia- A bit like Tobias, just want him in. Think he offers enough.
    Mids having time forward like Bont, Libba and Baz
    Wings spending time here like Roake and Scott. As I mentioned earlier, I like the look of Roarke forward.

That makes 22. McNeil is fast, like his i50 tackling. Wish he could nail his chances. He can be the 23rd.

18. Thanks Sedat, Scorlibo thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Dry Rot, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Khamis and West are two of the most interesting players on our list for mine.

I really want Buku to take another step. I think he has all the tools and had a very encouraging year. Inconsistency is always a feature of young players, but he showed an ability to play forward AND back.

He looked really composed, athletic and smart down back. The 'third tall' role is a difficult one because it is dependent on match-ups, but I want to see him play a lot in 2023.

West - where do we play him? Will he get midfield minutes? Is it primarily the same small forward type role? He's good enough to be in our best 22, but it isn't clear cut where he plays. Important year.
    W00F!

20. Likes Swoop, hujsh, Bulldog Revolution liked this post