Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mick McGuane looks at the clubs with the best depth in the AFL in 2023

Mick McGuane looks at the clubs with the best depth in the AFL

He might have signed a contract extension over the off-season after being clearly identified as the man to take the Western Bulldogs forward.

But that doesn’t mean that the pressure is off Luke Beveridge entering 2023.

In fact, it is quite the opposite.

After taking a deep dive into every AFL list with Glenn McFarlane for The Ultimate Player Ratings project, the depth of talent at Beveridge’s disposal became crystal clear.

We tried to be harsh in rating every player across the competition out of 10 and from that we came up with the average score for every team to establish the Ultimate AFL List Depth Ladder.

The Bulldogs finished in fifth spot, the narrowest of margins behind last year’s runner-up Sydney.

After playing off in a Grand Final themselves in 2021, this Bulldogs side didn’t go close to realising its potential last season as it finished eighth before bombing out of the race with an elimination final loss to Fremantle.

Beveridge is a premiership coach and the club clearly still has significant faith in him.

But if the Bulldogs’ best players stay healthy this year, this is a side which should not only be participating in finals but should believe it is a legitimate chance to win the flag.

With the list they have got, anything less than a deep run into September could only be deemed as a failure – and then the pressure will mount on Beveridge.

The additions of recruits Rory Lobb and Liam Jones will help the cause and have bolstered the list.

Don’t expect Lobb to kick 36 goals like he did at Fremantle when he was the main man last year, but his presence will take pressure off Aaron Naughton.

The Bulldogs were one-dimensional going forward at times last season, with Naughton their clear No. 1 target.

At the other end, key defender Jones will add some aerial and intercepting strength.

But unless the Bulldogs develop a better whole-ground team defence and apply manic pressure on the opposition ball carrier coming out of their forward line, Jones might not make much of a difference.

The other change many Bulldogs fans would no doubt like to see is around week-to-week selection changes.

There is always a horses for courses selection and it does take a squad mentality to win a premiership.

But don’t flirt with form by making unnecessary changes to your 23 each week and quit gifting games to players who have not earned them.

It is a big year for the Bulldogs — and Beveridge.

THE ULTIMATE AFL LIST DEPTH LADDER

GEELONG 5.55
    MELBOURNE 5.49
    BRISBANE 5.48
    SYDNEY 5.47
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 5.46
    RICHMOND 5.40
    COLLINGWOOD 5.39
    FREMANTLE 5.38
    ————————
    CARLTON 5.33
    PORT ADELAIDE 5.31
    GOLD COAST 5.25
    ESSENDON 5.17
    ST KILDA 5.16
    ADELAIDE 5.14
    GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 5.13
    WEST COAST 5.10
    HAWTHORN 5.08
    NORTH MELBOURNE 5.06
    # Based on player averages of ratings out of 10, made by Mick McGuane and Glenn McFarlane as part of The Ultimate Player Ratings.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mick McGuane looks at the clubs with the best depth in the AFL in 2023

We will be a huge part of the footy discussion next week win, lose or draw.
    The 4 talls collective will generate a lot of debate with Bevo being labelled a genius if we win or a mad professor if we lose.

One way or the other we are going to be a talking point next week.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny the depth ladder isn't far off a lot of predicted ladders.

PS You're the boss but shouldn't this be on Dog's Day or AFL Talk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's funny the depth ladder isn't far off a lot of predicted ladders.

PS You're the boss but shouldn't this be on Dog's Day or AFL Talk?
    Perhaps but I'm not putting the other teams up unless I find it interesting. This was more Bulldogs focused.

It might highlight that we won't be able to use a lack of depth as an excuse this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised Sydney are above us and the tigers to be honest .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    But don’t flirt with form by making unnecessary changes to your 23 each week and quit gifting games to players who have not earned them.
    Do we? I don't think so. I think we pick the best available each week, but sometimes we give players more games than we should - in hindsight of course - if it doesn't work.

So many experts out there with their views on who should play and who shouldn't - that is fine, but don't have a go at the match committee if you don't know the inside discussions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks Stevo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I’m surprised Sydney are above us and the tigers to be honest .
    Well we are ahead of Richmond and Sydney did make the grand final last year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do we? I don't think so. I think we pick the best available each week, but sometimes we give players more games than we should - in hindsight of course - if it doesn't work.

So many experts out there with their views on who should play and who shouldn't - that is fine, but don't have a go at the match committee if you don't know the inside discussions.
    So if hindsight suggests we shouldn't have played Player X for 5 weeks, are we not giving them games they perhaps don't deserve?

To your second point surely you don't believe we cannot have discussions if we are not inside the clubs four walls?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    To your second point surely you don't believe we cannot have discussions if we are not inside the clubs four walls?
    You didn't read my post. Discussion is fine, but bagging the MC because we think we know everything is what I personally don't like. I like everyone's opinions, that is what it all about. Comments like sack the coach because a certain player didn't play is not what I like.

McGuane thinks he knows it all publishing BS like that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this article ... no beating around the bush and just stating clearly what we have all known for 5 months since trade period ended.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't read my post. Discussion is fine, but bagging the MC because we think we know everything is what I personally don't like. I like everyone's opinions, that is what it all about. Comments like sack the coach because a certain player didn't play is not what I like.

McGuane thinks he knows it all publishing BS like that.
    Ah ok.
    As you quoted G I thought you directed your comments to him.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Mick and many others we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Ah ok.
    As you quoted G I thought you directed your comments to him.
    Sorry, I was quoting the article.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not get too Colgate Sensitive about Micks comments. He is just a journo and he has expressed his belief.
    FWIW he mentioned to me the same thing at the intra club training that we mess around with our selections.
    If we win enough we will prove him wrong.

17. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Colgate sensitive lol