Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’m surprised to see Keath left out of so many teams.

Back half of 2021 and 2022 were a total write off due to injuries.

From all reports he is now moving well and injury free, for this reason alone I’d be giving him the nod ahead of Bruce and Darcy.
    Keath is in very good condition and has been getting quite a bit of the footy. I would be surprised if he didn’t have a big season back somewhere towards his 2021 form.

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’m surprised to see Keath left out of so many teams.

Back half of 2021 and 2022 were a total write off due to injuries.

From all reports he is now moving well and injury free, for this reason alone I’d be giving him the nod ahead of Bruce and Darcy.
    Didn't train last week due to an ankle injury. Hopefully not severe.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Didn't train last week due to an ankle injury. Hopefully not severe.
    He was doing some decent running on the sidelines so don’t think it’s anything major.

6. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    He was doing some decent running on the sidelines so don’t think it’s anything major.
    More of less to avoid contact. I think he will be good to go very quickly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the predictions here are great to find out who will not be picked because you know I know Bevo will flabbergast us with that 1st round team.
    Everytime.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on all the training reports supplied by the superstars on WOOF, my preferred line up at present (based more on selecting players without an understanding of the game plan the coaches want them to execute) is:

B: Duryea, Jones, Darcy
    HB: Dale, Gardner, Richards
    C: Williams, Libba, Daniel
    HF: McLean, Naughton, JJ
    F: Jamarra, Lobb, Weightman
    R: English, Bont, Macrae
    I/C: Garcia, B Smith, Treloar, West + Buku

Duryea and Jones are walk up starts, while I’m increasingly keen for us to find roles for Darcy and get him playing senior footy. It may be he’s named back and spends time all over including deep forward.

Dale, Gardner and Richards offer us a great combination of defence and offence along the HB line. Gardner and Jones may both swap around a bit depending on match ups.

Williams has one wing locked down. I wanted to include Roarke but couldn’t, finding room for all is hard and I wanted Daniel more around the ball. I don’t think he plays a proper “wing” role like we’ve seen a few sides favour over recent years.

The engine room itself is fairly straight forward with Libba, Bont, Macrae, McLean, Treloar, Smith, Garcia and West, with splashes of Daniel and Weightman, has some good looks about it and plenty of depth. English is the preferred ruck with Lobb and Darcy able to provide some chop again subject to opponent / part of the field.

The forward line in some ways is easier to pick than I have found in recent years with Naughton, Lobb and Jamarra all locks, along with Weightman and we know one resting midfielder who I have chosen McLean. Final spot a little tough, if JJ is going to spend time back it opens up a spot for one more genuine forward perhaps in the 23, and no idea who that is yet. For me, JJ starts forward though as he has genuine pace we need and has done well in the role.

Buku is my man for the 23rd player. He’s very much on the fringe for selection in his own right and has the versatility we need to fill the role and help cover across all parts of the ground. Really excited to see him play more senior footy in 2023.

Finding a spot in the field to start for everyone is quite hard, but I’m confident Smith and Treloar will be right to go come round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got Bruce as KPD depth, and only getting a game in the case of an injury to a key defender, and even then may require 2 injuries.

Wouldn't shock me if we didn't actually see Bruce at AFL level this season.

13. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Based on all the training reports supplied by the superstars on WOOF, my preferred line up at present (based more on selecting players without an understanding of the game plan the coaches want them to execute) is:

Duryea and Jones are walk up starts, while I’m increasingly keen for us to find roles for Darcy and get him playing senior footy. It may be he’s named back and spends time all over including deep forward.

Dale, Gardner and Richards offer us a great combination of defence and offence along the HB line. Gardner and Jones may both swap around a bit depending on match ups.

Williams has one wing locked down. I wanted to include Roarke but couldn’t, finding room for all is hard and I wanted Daniel more around the ball. I don’t think he plays a proper “wing” role like we’ve seen a few sides favour over recent years.

The engine room itself is fairly straight forward with Libba, Bont, Macrae, McLean, Treloar, Smith, Garcia and West, with splashes of Daniel and Weightman, has some good looks about it and plenty of depth. English is the preferred ruck with Lobb and Darcy able to provide some chop again subject to opponent / part of the field.

The forward line in some ways is easier to pick than I have found in recent years with Naughton, Lobb and Jamarra all locks, along with Weightman and we know one resting midfielder who I have chosen McLean. Final spot a little tough, if JJ is going to spend time back it opens up a spot for one more genuine forward perhaps in the 23, and no idea who that is yet. For me, JJ starts forward though as he has genuine pace we need and has done well in the role.

Buku is my man for the 23rd player. He’s very much on the fringe for selection in his own right and has the versatility we need to fill the role and help cover across all parts of the ground. Really excited to see him play more senior footy in 2023.

Finding a spot in the field to start for everyone is quite hard, but I’m confident Smith and Treloar will be right to go come round 1.
    That's pretty much our strongest team. Bet you 50 bucks Bevo squeezes Hannan in there. Also, I feel Scott is just in front of Garcia at present as well. I'm ok with that as Scott is the consumate professional and provides us with a bit more versatility.

15. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    That's pretty much our strongest team. Bet you 50 bucks Bevo squeezes Hannan in there. Also, I feel Scott is just in front of Garcia at present as well. I'm ok with that as Scott is the consumate professional and provides us with a bit more versatility.
    Hannan, Scott and Roarke all role players who will be valued for their ability to really help us execute our game plan and I could see all three coming into my side. I’m not quite sure at whose expense.

17. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
    A fit Duryea is our number 1 lockdown small defender. Injuries impacted him last year and I am not sure he can regain his 20/21 form. Hope to be proven wrong as I rate him. I also think we are looking at more run from defence hence JJ go back and he replaces him.

Bruce needs to prove to me he is a capable defender. He looks it great shape so he is doing everything right.

i would prefer to give the younger players with a bigger upside a go before Hannan and Roarke. I hear Hannan has been great in preseason but he goes missing too much for me in game. He has all the attributes, just does not get enough of the pill.
    I keep hearing that this might be his last year for Duryea but finding a replacement isnt as evident yet. I think he will get another year with us. Reports about Bruce appear to indicate he isn't a natural defender so its hard to see him ahead of Jones Gards and Keath but based on previous years Bruce could still be selected. Darcy could even be ahead of him.

The younger player comment is something I dont understand with for first round projections. We made finals last year and recruited two very experienced key position players to cover weaknesses so I wouldn't be passing on players just because of their age. Displayed form should be the only consideration at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Thanks GD. This is pretty much how I see it too, as others have said perhaps Scott or Roarke S instead of Garcia. Personally I’d like Garcia and West to get more mid time as I think they are both hard at it players and would like to see them given a reasonable stint. Scott or Buku as sub makes sense as they can play multiple positions.

If Treloar is not right for round 1 who would you have instead?

20. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Thanks GD. This is pretty much how I see it too, as others have said perhaps Scott or Roarke S instead of Garcia. Personally I’d like Garcia and West to get more mid time as I think they are both hard at it players and would like to see them given a reasonable stint. Scott or Buku as sub makes sense as they can play multiple positions.

If Treloar is not right for round 1 who would you have instead?
    TBH I don't think Treloar gets up in time, with Hannan the replacement.
    Quite possibly Scott for West and Keath for Darcy/Buks depending on form over the intra-club & game against North.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

22. Thanks josie, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH I don't think Treloar gets up in time, with Hannan the replacement.
    Quite possibly Scott for West and Keath for Darcy/Buks depending on form over the intra-club & game against North.
    If Treloar isn't spending significant time in the main group in the training sessions by the end of next week he might not be ready for rounds 1, 2 or 3. Definitely getting to caution lights flashing stage.

24. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My round 1 team

FB Richards Keath Duryea
    HB Daniel Gardner L.Jones
    CC Dale Libba Macrae
    HF Hannan Lobb B.Smith
    FF Weightman Naughton McLean
    RR English Bont Treloar
    INT Darcy Williams JJ Khamis Baker
    EM JUH Crozier Scott Vandermeer

Based "mainly" on overall performance I see this as the team to tackle a potentially tall Melbourne forward line first up. I assume as usual, players changing teams get to play against their old sides so Schache will play, and thats the only reason Baker gets the nod on the bench ahead of Garcia. But if Treloar doesn't get up for round 1 then Garcia's in.

For our own forwards I leave out JUH as he still runs under the ball and drops too many marks [even in recent open training sim] and competes [gets in the way] with Naughton. Darcy gets his spot and/or as another foil for the tall Melb forward line especially if Gawn plays forward a lot due to Grundys inclusion, as our backs are still a bit on the shortish side. [of course we could always put Weightman on Gawn to take speckies on him!] .

I have Dale move to the wing to provide more precision delivery to our forwards which might entice them to lead as we tend to bomb forward way too much expecting Naughton to take the grab which puts too much pressure and emphasis on him, although Lobb may improve that and Hannan for mine is the unassuming potential multiple goal kicker. Forward ground ball pressure is provided by Weightman, McLean and Hannan not to mention Smith.

I think the bench provides manoeuvrability across all lines.

No Bruce either as he did nothing on return last year and nothing in trainings.

26. Likes GVGjr, Jasper, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good team MatJoh,

Ugle-Hagan is still not to be in it but perhaps it was a decision between Darcy and JUH for you?

I'd swap Richards and and Jones and Lobb and Naughton. Treloar needs to impress this week to be a chance for round one.