Ok, maybe a second last crack at this…

B: Duryea, Gardner, Keath
    HB: Dale, Jones, Richards
    C: Williams, Libba, Baker
    HF: McLean, Naughton, Smith
    F: Marra, Lobb, Weightman
    R: English, Bont, Macrae
    IC: Daniel, Darce, Scott, Treloar, West

I’m assuming JJ isn’t quite right, if he is I’d bring him in for West.

We ARE a little light on for running defenders suddenly with Williams and Daniel in other roles. JJ back might be a thing and having Scott who while not a great defender and potentially Hannan who can also go back suddenly become more important players to round out our squads.

With our full complement of midfielders it means we have a tall genuine forward line, and lots of marking power, but we lack the ground level players and will be reliant on midfielders doing the dirty work in the front half and applying a lot of pressure at the ball drop and exit.

Feels like we’re getting quite close and to me the key additions in Jones, Lobb, Baker, and benefits of fitter / less injured players like Bont, Naughts, McLean, Keath, and more developed in Marra, Darce, and new roles in Daniel, potentially JJ, gives a good feel of new, while the core of our best 22 is quite similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Ok, maybe a second last crack at this…

HF: McLean, Naughton, Smith
    IC: Daniel, Darce, Scott, Treloar, West

I’m assuming JJ isn’t quite right, if he is I’d bring him in for West.

We ARE a little light on for running defenders suddenly with Williams and Daniel in other roles. JJ back might be a thing and having Scott who while not a great defender and potentially Hannan who can also go back suddenly become more important players to round out our squads.

With our full complement of midfielders it means we have a tall genuine forward line, and lots of marking power, but we lack the ground level players and will be reliant on midfielders doing the dirty work in the front half and applying a lot of pressure at the ball drop and exit.

Feels like we’re getting quite close and to me the key additions in Jones, Lobb, Baker, and benefits of fitter / less injured players like Bont, Naughts, McLean, Keath, and more developed in Marra, Darce, and new roles in Daniel, potentially JJ, gives a good feel of new, while the core of our best 22 is quite similar.
    Really like the team but lets look at a couple of scenarios:
    JJ comes good and is ready to go so what would you do there?
    If we are hell bent on Daniel in the midfield who rolls into the back line when needed?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The way we are all looking at the team, we have three talls in the back and three in the forward 50, plus Darcy on the bench and Tim in the ruck. That is 8 genuine talls? Would we actually go with this ?

Hard to know what is going to work for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Bench
    B: Richards Gardner Dale Dureya
    HB: Daniel Jones Keath
    C: JJ Libba Williams Scott
    HF: Baz JUH McLean
    F: Weightman Naughton Lobb West/Garcia
    R: English Bont Macrae Treloar
    E: Bruce Roarke Vanders Sweetie/Martin

That's my attempt. Draft permitting. I'd like a forward to replace Garcia TBH.

I could also see Scott or Roarke replacing one or both of Williams and JJ on the wing. JJ maybe moving out Garcia.

EDIT: Further explaining. I feel sticking Libba or Macrae on the wing is the wrong way to go. Might work with Baz or Adam but I think we should run our mids through the middle. Baz, Adam and Bont can spend some time forward and otherwise can rest on the bench. Libba and Macrae are bench or guts. Gives us options, flexibility and depth without having too many cooks.
    Bench
    B: Richards Gardner Dale Daniel
    HB: Dureya Jones Keath
    C: Baker Libba Williams Scott
    HF: Baz Lobb McLean
    F: Weightman Naughton Bruce JJ
    R: English Bont Macrae Treloar
    E: JUH West Roarke Darcy/Sweet

I'm making a few changes to my original team.

Doesn't seem like JJ to the wing is panning out with Baker, Williams, Scott and Smith the contenders. Daniel I have as a defender on the bench but I think it's a mix between defence and midfield. Scott maybe also playing a mix of defence, mid or forward depending on rotations.

Biggest change is obviously JUH out. Reading the reports he sounds like he's in good shape but not good form and Bruce sounds like he's in good shape/form but can't use the ball in defence with any competence. I think the obvious move is to make JUH force someone out and dominate VFL with Darcy until then. Bruce should be better at using space/not getting in the way of Naughton and Lobb, and a more composed and accurate shot for goal.

Thoughts? Am I crazy WOOFers? Do any pre-season watchers want to correct my interpretation of the reports?
    Last edited by hujsh; 19-02-2023 at 01:30 PM.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The way we are all looking at the team, we have three talls in the back and three in the forward 50, plus Darcy on the bench and Tim in the ruck. That is 8 genuine talls? Would we actually go with this ?

Hard to know what is going to work for us.
    Well if we go with that we should dominate the air.

Really should not be getting outmarked very often.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Really like the team but lets look at a couple of scenarios:
    JJ comes good and is ready to go so what would you do there?
    If we are hell bent on Daniel in the midfield who rolls into the back line when needed?
    JJ to the bench, and he can play back / forward as the rotations and match ups require. In that scenario, it’s probably West out, Darce to sub and JJ into the 22 as a defender.

Treloar spent time back last season and I would be half tempted to play him there especially early in the season while he gets a few matches under his belt.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HF: McLean, Naughton, JJ
    IC: Daniel, B Smith, Treloar, Darcy: Sub Vandermeer

It's really hard to assign positions and I find I'm sitting on the fence a lot so I've broken it down a little differently

KPD - Jones, Gardner - Gardner at full back because he is the most athletic and best suited to trying to get a spoil in when we let opposition midfields deliver into an open forward line with no pressure. Jones at center half back, hopefully gives him the opportunity to set up and take intercept marks when we lock the ball into our forward line.

Intercept defender/3rd tall defender Keith or Darcy - I think the real benefit of Jones coming it is that if frees up Keith to play a looser intercept role which he did well at Adelaide. It sounds like he's trimmed down and is moving well which is great news and I'd have him ahead of Darcy coming in to the year although it sounds like Darcy is showing great signs this preseason. It's a great problem to have and should give us a much better base to build a rebound game off in 2023.

Small defenders - Dale, Richards and Durea. Pretty good trio but really need Durea to find form and fitness as he is the best defensive option we have on the list.

Onballers - Bont, Macrae, Libba, English - Probably pick themselves. When I see opposition midfielders burst out of the stoppages I think I'd like someone a little more explosive in there like Treloar or Smith but an on song Libba is the best coalface player in the competition, you really want Bont getting the ball as often as possible and Macrae's composure and hands in close offer more on ball than he can anywhere else on the field.

Wingers 2 of Williams, R Smith, B Smith, Baker, Hannan, Vandermeer- Feels like the 2 for round 1 might be Williams and Baker. For mine the biggest weakness on the list- We really don't have anyone who I'd consider to be above average at best in that role. That said a good winger seems to be about the most difficult footballer to find these days because I don't really think there are many in the league. Williams had some good games last year but also some pretty bad ones. Roarke Smith seems to be the most consistent at it and runs well both ways but doesn't really have any weapons to make him dangerous in that role. Bailey Smith could be great if he can get hang of positioning but that's easier said than done. Hannan has the weapons but doesn't seem to find enough of the ball which I think might be the case with Oskar Baker too. Vandermeer I loved in his first year but he really hasn't come on. Fast and hard at the contest but shanks too many kicks and is always injured.

Tall forwards Naughton, Lobb and Jamara Hoping the three can work well in tandem and create isolation opportunities. Seem to have skillsets that will complement eachother rather than compete with eachother Naughton and Jamarra are both good at ground level so not too top heavy. Darcy potentially replaces Jamarra if form warrants.

Small Forwards- Weightman, McLean, Johannison - Weightman is really our only genuine small forward and I like Maclean in that mid/half forward role since he is agile, crafty and aggressive. Sounds like we might also see Daniel play that role at times. I think JJ is really important as that half forward who tries to create/close space with repeat sprints. Hannan and Vandermeer have also played the role well at times bu JJ is more skilled and a better finisher.

Bench - Daniel, Treloar, B Smith, Darcy - The first 3 are simply too tallented to not include and Darcy sounds like he his almost forcing the match committees hand. The lineup seems a bit tall with him in but we need to get games into him and should do so when form warrents.

Sub - Vandermeer - I think his flexibility fits nicely here. Can play forward back and wing and come on and run his legs off. Otherwise Hannan, Roarke Smith or A Scott.

Others - R West - I love Westy, his good games are so good and the way he attacks the ball can really get the team going but he just has too few good games at the moment.

A Scott - Wouldn't surprise me if he is in the team round 1 just wasn't sure where to put him :P

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is a fantastic post by one of our newer members. Thanks Flipper

11. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really think Flipper nailed it. Only one I "disagree" on is VDM as sub. Personally I'd have one of Roarke Smith, Anthony Scott or Bailey Williams in the side (Flipper has Williams) with one of the remainders as sub. Scott and Roarke both lack elite traits, but are reliable, versatile players who rarely go missing. Both low ceiling, high floor players, and Roarke has been one of our better players in the last two finals we've played

13. Likes Jasper, bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I definitely see where you're coming from and I probably have rose coloured glasses with Vandemeer.

I do think that the high half forward role is a difficult one to play and the impact doesn't necessarily reflect on the stats sheet. There is a lot of unrewarded running to create space for others on fast turnovers and also defensively to shut down space on the open side on switches. It really does require a high speed, high endurance athlete for those repeat sprint efforts.

I know fans often wonder why Hannan or Vandermeer get games and I think a part of it is because they play that role

15. Likes Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like that side a lot Flipper, well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Great effort Flipper.

I’d swap Darcy for a defensive runner either Scott or R. Smith. Ideally I’d love to play both of them. For mine they shouldn’t be subs either.

The unknown is what type of player Baker is, is he a defensive two way runner or is he a one way runner?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Arthur Jones a sneaky chance of playing round 1?

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    I don't think so but I do think he will play some senior football this year. Back in December and Jan I wasn't so sure but the last 3 weeks he has really shown some improvement. He's one of the first players on the track and is highly enthusiastic.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

21. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    He will have to bide his time and wait for an opening. He would be a long way back at the moment.