Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Yeah Flipper has crushed that. My only question mark is Baker. He seems to be getting named a heap. I've been to a number of training sessions and I'm yet to see it. He is a nice player but has zero runs on the board at the moment.

Thinking Bevo will play best available / experience rather than make selections based on players who can play in specific positions. It's his way.

I liken Baker being selected to the Sweet conundrum. We have a serviceable ruckman on the list but we will use every other player in the role before we select him cause we don't trust him. Same applies to Baker for me atm and I can see him opening his account at Footscray with Williams and VDM / B Smith running through the wings and Scott or West as a sub.

If Baker can prove his worth at Footscary across the first few games there is definitely a spot in the team for him.

2. Likes Flipper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah Flipper has crushed that. My only question mark is Baker. He seems to be getting named a heap. I've been to a number of training sessions and I'm yet to see it. He is a nice player but has zero runs on the board at the moment.

Thinking Bevo will play best available / experience rather than make selections based on players who can play in specific positions. It's his way.

I liken Baker being selected to the Sweet conundrum. We have a serviceable ruckman on the list but we will use every other player in the role before we select him cause we don't trust him. Same applies to Baker for me atm and I can see him opening his account at Footscray with Williams and VDM / B Smith running through the wings and Scott or West as a sub.

If Baker can prove his worth at Footscary across the first few games there is definitely a spot in the team for him.
    You’ve forgotten one thing with regard to Baker… Bevo loves a new toy.

I think Baker adds a bit of outside pace which we’re lacking so I see him being a part of our wing rotations to start the season… up to him how long he remains in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I think Baker adds a bit of outside pace which we’re lacking so I see him being a part of our wing rotations to start the season… up to him how long he remains in the team.
    There is just to many examples in recent years to rule this one out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like he's a strong tackler so if he has the discipline I could see him being a pacier version or Roarke, locking down one wing in a semi-defensive role while the other wing (probably Williams) is a bit more offensive (with some defensive interception license since it's Bailey)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I guess he did play TOB didn't he.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There is just to many examples in recent years to rule this one out.
    Yep he loves them. Towards the end of last year when we beat Melbourne we had a player playing on Langdon and kept him quiet. Can someone remember who that player was? I'll have him doing the same job.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yep he loves them. Towards the end of last year when we beat Melbourne we had a player playing on Langdon and kept him quiet. Can someone remember who that player was? I'll have him doing the same job.
    Was it Rourke? He's an old toy though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Roarke you mean. No not a new toy just wondering who the player was. Could have been Roarke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Hayes was given a fair run and we even delisted him and then added him back I'll be interested to see what happens with McComb this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Roarke you mean. No not a new toy just wondering who the player was. Could have been Roarke.
    Roarke didn't play the day. Pretty sure it was Bailey Williams who shadowed him and kept him down to 13 disposals

13. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Roarke didn't play the day. Pretty sure it was Bailey Williams who shadowed him and kept him down to 13 disposals
    Thanks for that Critter.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Flipper;827881]B: Duryea, Gardner, Keath
    HB: Dale, Jones, Richards
    C: Williams, Libba, Baker
    HF: McLean, Naughton, JJ
    F: Marra, Lobb, Weightman
    R: English, Bont, Macrae
    IC: Daniel, B Smith, Treloar, Darcy: Sub Vandermeer

It's really hard to assign positions and I find I'm sitting on the fence a lot so I've broken it down a little differently...]

I like your team Flipper, though there's a couple of changes I think are worth considering:

Full Back. I'd opt for Jones as I think he reads the ball in flight the best of all our key defenders. Gets himself to the right position and then uses his big body to hold his ground and move his opponent to an inferior position.

Wing. As you said, our greatest weak spot. I'm happy with Williams but less sure about Baker. Too often last year the ball easily and quickly rebounded out of our forward line. It put a lot of pressure on defenders, who often were caught one out. I think this year we need wingers who are capable of defence as well as attack. We get that in spades with Williams but I query Baker's defensive capability. I'd opt for Scott, as I think he has the mental discipline to defend or attack as necessary. He's a neat footbller with good all around skills. Pace is his query. Then again, Lachie Hunter never looked capable of winning a Stawell Gift either.

Darcy/Jamarra/Keath. I doubt they all can play in the same team. We end up too tall. Like you, I prefer Keath to Darcy in the backline at this stage. Which, to me, leaves a choice between Darcy and Jamarra up forward. Both have had good moments in match simulation, so choosing is difficult. I think the intraclub at Ballarat and the practice match against North will decide who plays.

Vandermeer. I've lost faith. To me he doesn't get a game until he shows fitness, defensive effort and improved kicking. Straight-line speed in itself isn't enough.

JJ. Agree, definitely plays if fit. In addition to what he brings to the forward line, he provides great depth if necessary for our backline. I still remember 2017/18/19. In fact, with the improvement in our backline capability this year and the support that offers each defender, I think that he would be a bonus there. Particularly, in the event of injury to Duryea.

West/Garcia. In that event that either Marra or Darcy doesn't play, an extra on the bench is needed. I suggest that it should be either West or Garcia, but I can't decide who. Again, I suggest form at the intraclub at Ballarat or the practice game against North will decide who gets a spot.

I am increasingly Bullish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

In hindsight I'd probably go Scott over Baker. Just seemed like the talk was that Baker looked like he was preferred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    In hindsight I'd probably go Scott over Baker. Just seemed like the talk was that Baker looked like he was preferred.
    That's what I'm feeling as well. Hope he makes good his opportunity if he gets it.

Post Thanks / Like

Round 1
    B: Keath Jones Cleary
    HB: Richards Gardner Dale
    C: Williams Libba B. Smith
    HF: JJ Naughton McLean
    F: Weightman JUH Lobb
    R: English Bont Macrae

I/C: Daniel Treleoar Scott West
    Sub: Darcy

Baker has not done enough in my opinion, so needs to earn his place with good VFL form. Duryea has been patchy through the pre season and I really like Cleary as a player. Bedendo to work his way in to the side early as well (hopefully).

19. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Joe liked this post