Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    The only problem with that would be the number of key position players we take into the game. Is 8 too many?
    Keath, Jones, Bruce, English, Darcy, JUH, Naughton and Lobb seems one too many so I wouldnt replace Gardner with Bruce and would bring in Cleary.
    I understand where you are coming from, but we need to play to our strengths and our strengths in 2023 are around the big guys.

It has been a clear recruitment strategy and we need to utilise it.

It also means we need them to maximise their ground level efforts and have others feeding off them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but we need to play to our strengths and our strengths in 2023 are around the big guys.

It has been a clear recruitment strategy and we need to utilise it.

It also means we need them to maximise their ground level efforts and have others feeding off them.
    Bevo believes that with for the first time it is a luxury to have 3 players in English Lobb and Darcy over 7 foot that it will give us a distinct aerial advantage to enable us to play to their strengths. The Coach quoted also that the endurance of Lobb and superb fitness
    makes him a valuable addition to the Club. Liam Jones was sought after by other Clubs as well before choosing the WB.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well after the hitout and a few injuries, how are we looking?

My team:

B: Daniel Jones Richards
    HB: Dale Keath Duryea
    C: Scott Liberatore Baker
    HF: McLean Ugle-Hagan B Smith
    F: Weightman Naughton Lobb
    R: English Bont Macrae

I/C Treloar, Darcy, Bruce, Williams and Sub Hannan

Will depend on injury recovery for JJ, Duryea, Richards, and Crozier
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Bulldog Legend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne looked pretty good today. Running in waves as strongly as ever at times, we'll need to be super accountable no matter who we pick next week.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Melbourne looked pretty good today. Running in waves as strongly as ever at times, we'll need to be super accountable no matter who we pick next week.
    I’ve got a theory that is always going to work in pre season when defensive attitudes may not be as razor sharp.

The turnover is the enemy of their cheating, let’s hope we can pressure the fk out of them.

9. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I’ve got a theory that is always going to work in pre season when defensive attitudes may not be as razor sharp.

The turnover is the enemy of their cheating, let’s hope we can pressure the fk out of them.
    It's not a bad theory and I wonder how much brining in blue chips like Hopper and Tarranto disrupts the one-in all-in attitude that has defined Richmond in recent history.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Post practice match prediction from the HUN:

WESTERN BULLDOGS' PREDICTED 23

B: L. Jones, A. Keath, T. Duryea
    HB: B. Dale, S. Darcy, E. Richards
    C: A. Treloar, C. Daniel, B. Smith
    HF: B. Williams, A. Naughton, J. Macrae
    F: J. Ugle-Hagan, R. Lobb, A. Jones
    Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, T. Liberatore
    Int: O. Baker, A Scott, T. McLean, J. Bruce
    Sub: H. Crozier
    Notable absentees: Cody Weightman (groin), Ryan Gardiner (elbow)
    Jon Ralph’s selection dilemma: Cody Weightman has missed both the Dogs scratch match and the win over North Melbourne with groin issues.
    Why would he be risked in round 1 with such a long season ahead, which means Arthur Jones is on track for a debut as a small forward.
    Josh Bruce played 87 per cent match time, so if Sam Darcy is used forward he could be a round 1 defender in a team needing plenty of tall options against Melbourne’s key attacking players in Max Gawn, Tom McDonald and Ben Brown.
    Toby McLean and Anthony Scott are clearly in the best 22, which means Jason Johannisen, (who got match fitness in the VFL) and Rylee West (who came on late against the Roos) might both miss out.

Link

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Post practice match prediction from the HUN:

WESTERN BULLDOGS' PREDICTED 23

B: L. Jones, A. Keath, T. Duryea
    HB: B. Dale, S. Darcy, E. Richards
    C: A. Treloar, C. Daniel, B. Smith
    HF: B. Williams, A. Naughton, J. Macrae
    F: J. Ugle-Hagan, R. Lobb, A. Jones
    Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, T. Liberatore
    Int: O. Baker, A Scott, T. McLean, J. Bruce
    Sub: H. Crozier
    Notable absentees: Cody Weightman (groin), Ryan Gardiner (elbow)
    Jon Ralph’s selection dilemma: Cody Weightman has missed both the Dogs scratch match and the win over North Melbourne with groin issues.
    Why would he be risked in round 1 with such a long season ahead, which means Arthur Jones is on track for a debut as a small forward.
    Josh Bruce played 87 per cent match time, so if Sam Darcy is used forward he could be a round 1 defender in a team needing plenty of tall options against Melbourne’s key attacking players in Max Gawn, Tom McDonald and Ben Brown.
    Toby McLean and Anthony Scott are clearly in the best 22, which means Jason Johannisen, (who got match fitness in the VFL) and Rylee West (who came on late against the Roos) might both miss out.

Link
    Another Journo who can't spell Gardner

But seriously, Darcy at CHB?, Daniel in the centre, Treloar and B Smith wings and Williams HFF - #noidea
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

But seriously, Darcy at CHB?, Daniel in the centre, Treloar and B Smith wings and Williams HFF - #noidea
    I think ignore the positions and focus on the 23 players named. I don't think it's a bad prediction on that basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Weightman in for Arty and JJ the sub is my best guess.

Post Thanks / Like

I think ignore the positions and focus on the 23 players named. I don't think it's a bad prediction on that basis.
    And a strong team at that. We have a load of talent.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to get a good look at Tim O'Brien this year.

He was asked to play as a second key defender behind Gardiner which isnt his forte.

Our backline was dysfunctional for most of the year so I am not counting him out just yet.

He may be one that will benefit from the inclusion of Jones and a fit Keath.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, ignore magnet positions but at present those would be my 23. Cody has a week still and if he and the rest of those named are match fit, then I would take out Williams. For mine, Arty has earned a Round 1 debut.

Not keen on JJ coming straight in just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    I want to get a good look at Tim O'Brien this year.

He was asked to play as a second key defender behind Gardiner which isnt his forte.

Our backline was dysfunctional for most of the year so I am not counting him out just yet.

He may be one that will benefit from the inclusion of Jones and a fit Keath.
    It's a shame he's been injured because I would probably prefer him to Bruce in the absence of Gardner from what I have seen of Bruce as a defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

You missed Macrae on the other HF flank!

I’m still 100% Bailey Smith should be our attacking wingman with Scott and Williams riding defensive shotgun.
    More of an In Bruges guy?