Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    That is a seriously insane average of 6 foot 3 . In 1950 our team probably had one player who was that height.
    Our tallest player in Round 1 1950 was Arthur Olliver who was 189cm.

I'm 189cm myself and feel like I'm taller than 98% of people and I would be below average in our current team.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Are we surprised with McLean?

He is the one I got wrong. Thought out of the 3 of them Hannan or JJ would be the choice.

Considering his form in the final I'm a little surprised.

I guess he's had a middling pre season, so has JJ though.
    McLean was completely dominant up until the Ballarat game and North game where we moved him around a bit. I would have picked him to play forward, Melbourne routinely slaughter us in the contested ball count and I like his competitiveness.

As a general rule we spend far too much time debating the last 1-2 spots in the team. Toby had a poor first game against North in a position with a vacancy and that’s why he wasn’t picked.

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    McLean was completely dominant up until the Ballarat game and North game where we moved him around a bit. I would have picked him to play forward, Melbourne routinely slaughter us in the contested ball count and I like his competitiveness.

As a general rule we spend far too much time debating the last 1-2 spots in the team. Toby had a poor first game against North in a position with a vacancy and that’s why he wasn’t picked.
    I enjoy a good discussion about these things, part of the attraction of the forum.

Your reasoning makes sense thanks, he did have a poor game. Then again Hannan and JJ didn't even play so I'm assuming more was taken into account than the north game.

He might be the super sub.

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Westy not sniffing the 26 isn’t a great sign. Looks to be a fair way back.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy a good discussion about these things, part of the attraction of the forum.

Your reasoning makes sense thanks, he did have a poor game. Then again Hannan and JJ didn't even play so I'm assuming more was taken into account than the north game.

He might be the super sub.
    At local footy level you often see selection panels debate the last two spots for an hour and then the blokes only get 50% TOG anyway. I get the attraction for debating them here I just doubt how much impact it has on results the majority of the time.

Tiny little Jake Bowey had 12 intercept possessions last week (equal with May) so I wonder if we have a plan in place for this.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    At local footy level you often see selection panels debate the last two spots for an hour and then the blokes only get 50% TOG anyway. I get the attraction for debating them here I just doubt how much impact it has on results the majority of the time.

Tiny little Jake Bowey had 12 intercept possessions last week (equal with May) so I wonder if we have a plan in place for this.
    Melbourne recruiters just keep hitting gold don't they. Very good call, someone needs to be aware of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Considering how fit he looks and the extras he apparently did this is a worry for me too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    It's early days but I don't think it's necessarily a strong sign that he is a long way back. Things can change quickly
    From the players perspective I think he would be disappointed that he isn't right in the mix.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Considering how fit he looks and the extras he apparently did this is a worry for me too.
    Didn't he have a setback that had him in the rehab group for a considerable stretch?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

The weather looks brutal for tomorrow's nights game. A high of 37c which will be at 5pm. At the bounce it will still be 32c. Wind is NW 24 km/h with gusts up to 40 km/h (at 7pm).

So it is going to be hot. Really hot. It is also going to be windy. How will our tall team cope with those conditions?

15. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The weather looks brutal for tomorrow's nights game. A high of 37c which will be at 5pm. At the bounce it will still be 32c. Wind is NW 24 km/h with gusts up to 40 km/h (at 7pm).

So it is going to be hot. Really hot. It is also going to be windy. How will our tall team cope with those conditions?
    Players will get more tired, more quickly. But our big guys won’t get any shorter as the game goes on. Just kick it to their advantage and set up well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Didn't he have a setback that had him in the rehab group for a considerable stretch?
    I believe that is correct now I think about it. Can we cross live to Skinner Reserve and ask our roaming correspndant G?
    G how is the weather out there, and more importantly is your tent safe?

19. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that is correct now I think about it. Can we cross live to Skinner Reserve and ask our roaming correspndant G?
    G how is the weather out there, and more importantly is your tent safe?
    He also had a poor game v North after coming on to replace a few injured players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Players will get more tired, more quickly. But our big guys won’t get any shorter as the game goes on. Just kick it to their advantage and set up well.
    Richmond's Lynch enters the conversation and agrees
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Prior to Xmas he was constantly in the rehab group and he might have even sat out one intra club game but he's probably had 10 weeks on no interruptions so I doubt that he hasn't done the work.

From a R1 team selection perspective the more concerning non selection might be Toby Mac. Outside of injuring his arm he's done a lot of work and with Cody missing it makes it just a bit more intriguing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"