Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Prior to Xmas he was constantly in the rehab group and he might have even sat out one intra club game but he's probably had 10 weeks on no interruptions so I doubt that he hasn't done the work.

From a R1 team selection perspective the more concerning non selection might be Toby Mac. Outside of injuring his arm he's done a lot of work and with Cody missing it makes it just a bit more intriguing.
    I had him in my team and I am a little surprised he isn't in, although the North game he was ineffective.

Hopefully he is the sub and makes an impact when he comes on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well there is a belief that Bevo likes shiny new toys but I do believe Baker has earned his spot.
    100% he earned a spot and probably pushed Tobias out following his excellent game against Norf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    100% he earned a spot and probably pushed Tobias out following his excellent game against Norf.
    We've normally been a bit more understanding with one quiet game because McLean was good in the intra club games.
    JJ and Baker will probably play that small forward role while Cody is out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We've normally been a bit more understanding with one quiet game because McLean was good in the intra club games.
    JJ and Baker will probably play that small forward role while Cody is out.
    In the match sim that I saw McLean was much more effective playing in the midfield (generally in the 'B' team) rather than roles he will need to fill when we have a full squad to pick from.

He doesn't look dangerous up forward and he looked slow when trying to apply forward pressure... he simply needs to break into the midfield rotation if he wants to play so the challenge is in front of him.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen a Doggies forward line on paper as the one chosen for this game.

The only concern is one or two small, cunning, good goal sense and pressure crumbing forwards are absent.

Regardless of result I hope the persevere with the tall forwards.
    Last edited by DISHLICKERS; 17-03-2023 at 02:42 PM.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Melbourne recruiters just keep hitting gold don't they. Very good call, someone needs to be aware of that.
    They can't find talls though.
    Gawn was a fair way back and Petty is quality. They've traded well to fill gaps but their ability to draft and develop tall talent is their weakness
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that is correct now I think about it. Can we cross live to Skinner Reserve and ask our roaming correspndant G?
    G how is the weather out there, and more importantly is your tent safe?
    How dare you sir!
    How dare you imply I'm some sort of low end footy groupie that camps out in a tent to get a glimpse of the players much like a teenager might camp out to get Ed Sheeran tickets.
    For the record it's a fully kitted out camper van with all the fixens
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Joe, chef, jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How dare you sir!
    How dare you imply I'm some sort of low end footy groupie that camps out in a tent to get a glimpse of the players much like a teenager might camp out to get Ed Sheeran tickets.
    For the record it's a fully kitted out camper van with all the fixens
    Hahahaaaa.... Classic.

I reckon you and your overpriced camper and Lachie McNeil obsession have bumped our membership to record levels.

God speed tent man.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaaaa.... Classic.

I reckon you and your overpriced camper and Lachie McNeil obsession have bumped our membership to record levels.

God speed tent man.
    My spys have found him

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Our tallest player in Round 1 1950 was Arthur Olliver who was 189cm.

I'm 189cm myself and feel like I'm taller than 98% of people and I would be below average in our current team.
    Wow! When the dogs line up for round 1 2073 there's a real chance the average could be over 2 metres. Bring back Peter Street..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Players will get more tired, more quickly. But our big guys won’t get any shorter as the game goes on. Just kick it to their advantage and set up well.
    Classic Jack Dyerism right there!

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about it the more I think the Bruce selection is super weird.

Beveridge has never been concerned with convention, and 100% has always opted for backing in the better player for our system than a player to fill a role. This has been particularly evident with talls, in defence frequently if the talls he rates aren't available he has not bothered calling up the next one in line and instead has brought in the next defender he rates. Pretty sure Naughtons first season with us he basically picked Naughton, a first gamer, as our sole key defender and worked around having to cover the oppositon key forwards. The ruck has been the other obvious example where when English was struggling in 2020 instead of calling up Sweet we just let English take the centre bounce then hang forward while someone like Jong or Dunkley did the rest.

So picking Bruce, who has shown some signs but is a long way from what I would expect is a best 22 option, seemingly solely because Melbourne have 3 tall forwards is a really interesting move, especially when you consider none of their tall forwards a particularly good. Just very un Beveridge like and I'm wondering if its a change to a more conservative/conventional match selection strategy.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question soup. What we do know is if Bevo thinks he has the player he wants for the role he wants, then he'll pick them.

If that's not the case then perhaps it's a bit of a leap of faith given Bruce went to the MC and suggested the change and has shown solid progress in the role. Reward for effort and all that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought Bruce was an odd selection but I came to the conclusion if Gardner was fit he’d be playing alongside Jones and Keath.

Maybe, just maybe Beveridge is selecting team based on structure rather than solely available personnel.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

20. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    The more I think about it the more I think the Bruce selection is super weird.

Beveridge has never been concerned with convention, and 100% has always opted for backing in the better player for our system than a player to fill a role. This has been particularly evident with talls, in defence frequently if the talls he rates aren't available he has not bothered calling up the next one in line and instead has brought in the next defender he rates. Pretty sure Naughtons first season with us he basically picked Naughton, a first gamer, as our sole key defender and worked around having to cover the oppositon key forwards. The ruck has been the other obvious example where when English was struggling in 2020 instead of calling up Sweet we just let English take the centre bounce then hang forward while someone like Jong or Dunkley did the rest.

So picking Bruce, who has shown some signs but is a long way from what I would expect is a best 22 option, seemingly solely because Melbourne have 3 tall forwards is a really interesting move, especially when you consider none of their tall forwards a particularly good. Just very un Beveridge like and I'm wondering if its a change to a more conservative/conventional match selection strategy.
    This is why I expected Crozier to play ahead of Bruce. He's obviously been more impressed with Bruce's efforts in pre season than some of us.