Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Surely Bruce has to be in the mix for the R1 2023 team?
    I see Lobb & Bruce competing for the same role and clearly Lobb should in front based on recent form... I see JUH playing a different role (more of a roaming forward).

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do you see him as that versatile 3rd tall defender type?
    Yep... we need more players with intercept abilities and good kicking skills in defence so unless Keath can return to his pre-2022 form he is competing with Gardner for one spot.

2. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I see Lobb & Bruce competing for the same role and clearly Lobb should in front based on recent form... I see JUH playing a different role (more of a roaming forward).

Yep... we need more players with intercept abilities and good kicking skills in defence so unless Keath can return to his pre-2022 form he is competing with Gardner for one spot.
    That is how I see it as well and left Keath out of my main team, with Gardner taking the CHB role. All based on 2022 form, but of course could change.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my first crack at it :

Want pace on the wings and guys that can run all day ( i reckon they can both hold position if coached properly ).

B : Richards, Jones, Gardner
    HB : Daniel, Keath, Dale
    C : Treloar, Macrae, JJ
    HF : B.Smith, Naughton, Mclean
    FF : Weightman, Lobb, Marra
    Fol: English, Bont, Libba

IC : I dont know at this stage. Hard. Have to see how we recruit. Top of the list would be Darcy, Bruce, Duryea, West, Khamis, Hannan, McNeil, McComb.

5. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There's a lot to play out between now and round 1 - I'm just happy every has McLean in their teams.
    I really hope he gets a clean run at it and reminds us why he was rushed back for the final. Genuine footy smarts
    Oops, knew I missed someone obvious. Will edit...
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I picked a fantastic year to be overseas and completely miss not only the GF but the cannonizarion of Saint Joel and all the post GF celebrations at the Cattery. By the time I returned it was wall-to-wall trade week shenanigans, and the GF never actually happened in my mind.

The only thing Selwood should be the patron saint of is the entire ducking epidemic that has infected the AFL ever since his career started.
    Harsh. Think his true colours shone out on Grand Final week. The amount of work he does with disadvantaged kids is immense and the way he brought them into the pre and post GF celebrations was just fantastic. I'm not a fan of him as a footballer but he does seem like a very giving person.

8. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Harsh. Think his true colours shone out on Grand Final week. The amount of work he does with disadvantaged kids is immense and the way he brought them into the pre and post GF celebrations was just fantastic. I'm not a fan of him as a footballer but he does seem like a very giving person.
    You've fallen for the charm offensive 1ED

To be fair, it was a pretty impressive performance from the limited highlights that I saw.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone got caught up in whether Selwood ducked or not or whatever and lost sight of him being shit at footy for nearly a decade. Genius slight of hand from the most Channel 7 player to ever do it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

stelio Guest

Despite most people regarding the trade period as suboptimal, I would suggest that the balance of the squad is actually better with another KPD (Jones) and a more genuine forward/ruck option (Lobb) coming in. I was against Lobb but our second ruck has been an issue for some time so I'm hopeful that'll be an upgrade for us. Part of the reason I didn't want him was our already well stocked tall forward brigade. However, if the change is made for a 5th interchange spot, it may just open the door for us to have an additional KPF which we could then use to rotate players (may mean reduced TOG for them). Will be interesting to see how that spot is used. Have left Darcy out for now, obviously he will be a big part of the future but not sure where he fits at the moment. All that said, here’s my go at the starting team:

B: Richards, Jones, Gardner
    HB: Daniel, Keath, Dale

C: Treloar, Libba, Baz

HF: McLean, Jamarra, West
    F: Lobb, Naughton, Weightman

R: English, Bont, Macrae

Int: Duryea, JJ, Garcia, Williams, Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Great first contribution Stelio.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stelio View Post
    Despite most people regarding the trade period as suboptimal, I would suggest that the balance of the squad is actually better with another KPD (Jones) and a more genuine forward/ruck option (Lobb) coming in. I was against Lobb but our second ruck has been an issue for some time so I'm hopeful that'll be an upgrade for us. Part of the reason I didn't want him was our already well stocked tall forward brigade. However, if the change is made for a 5th interchange spot, it may just open the door for us to have an additional KPF which we could then use to rotate players (may mean reduced TOG for them). Will be interesting to see how that spot is used. Have left Darcy out for now, obviously he will be a big part of the future but not sure where he fits at the moment. All that said, here’s my go at the starting team:

Treloar on the wing Stelio.

Smart!

16. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably only swap Marra and Naughton around so I think you have nailed it. Good analysis as well.

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the thought is to play a tall as the 5th interchange it does seem like a perfect fit for Darcy. He can theoretically play forward back or in the ruck as needed. Of course we'd want to manage his development and not stop him from getting a good run at VFL level either

Post Thanks / Like

I was against Lobb but our second ruck has been an issue for some time so I'm hopeful that'll be an upgrade for us.
    I was fairly pro Lobb coming in, I think he'll offer something different and he effectively replaces Bruce who I do not trust at all, but it was probably lost on me the potential he has as a second ruck.

That was until I was talking to a mate and they were raving about how we will now have two super mobile and talented rucks that can both push forward. I am unsure how much of a split we are planning, but I am very optimistic about the potential we have to create a pretty dynamic duo going forward between Lobb and English.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

21. Likes F'scary, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I was fairly pro Lobb coming in, I think he'll offer something different and he effectively replaces Bruce who I do not trust at all, but it was probably lost on me the potential he has as a second ruck.

That was until I was talking to a mate and they were raving about how we will now have two super mobile and talented rucks that can both push forward. I am unsure how much of a split we are planning, but I am very optimistic about the potential we have to create a pretty dynamic duo going forward between Lobb and English.
    What % split would you like to see? It may depend on the opposition but at least a 65/35 would be good
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This from Fox Footy about our premiership chances

WESTERN BULLDOGS

We seem to say it every year, but the Dogs’ list is genuinely primed for a premiership. In the middle, all of their key players should be at or near their peak, with the exception of Bailey Smith who likely will only get better. Additionally, while the sheer number of tall options could pose a challenge to get the mix right, Luke Beveridge wields significant power in terms of the problems he can cause opposition sides if that mix is nailed. Liam Jones should prove a vital addition too and address an area the side has been exposed in through past seasons. The Dogs are right in the sweet spot and should be for the next few years.

Premiership window: 2023-2027

I wonder if the club thinks we are in the window for the next 4 seasons or not?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

24. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post