Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  233
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't like Bailey Smith on a wing. We played him there for a few games and he was way down in possessions.

Bailey is a Mid/HFF
    We have enough individual ball winners.

In todays game possession numbers = less is more.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't like Bailey Smith on a wing. We played him there for a few games and he was way down in possessions.

Bailey is a Mid/HFF
    Tend to agree but whatever works best for the team should be the priority.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Tend to agree but whatever works best for the team should be the priority.
    The best thing for the team is to have Bailey Smith playing to his full potential, and I think that means becoming a starting onballer. His first 6 or so weeks were scintillating, and although his disposal upon his return was scrappy, I think we've seen enough to know what he's capable of.

He's ready to do the grunt work with Bont, Libba, and Macrae. With Dunkley gone there's an opportunity for him to flourish and develop his game further.

This will allow Treloar to step into the half forward / mid role where I think he can be very damaging.

It does mean we have to find two wingers but they're on our list. I'd start with Williams and Hannan but Scott and Roarke both can push their cases in preseason. They're both versatile but also able to play a team orientated role by holding their width and tracking back as marking options.

I'd like to keep Dale, Daniel, Richards and Duryea back as our back flank / pockets, while Jones, Gardner and Keath with a full preseason can hold down the key position roles. It's up to Khamis and others to force themselves in throughout preseason.

Up forward, Lobb, Naughton, and Marra can start as our key positions. Bruce and Darcy can push for the fifth bench spot, but again, a strong preseason can see them push others aside. I'd have Weightman and JJ as our two smalls, while rotating that mid (Treloar) forward. The F7 role can be fought between McLean, Garcia, Vandermeer and West with form and fitness the key.

4. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Swoop I’m really concerned with your forward line. Who provides the defensive pressure inside F50?

I can’t recall Hannan playing wing before, what do you see in him to play this position?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Swoop I’m really concerned with your forward line. Who provides the defensive pressure inside F50?

I can’t recall Hannan playing wing before, what do you see in him to play this position?
    Don't be concerned because my team won't leave the dark depths of my mind.

I know Hannan is much maligned but if he's fit, he can play. He has played wing before, I'd refer to the 2022 preseason before he was injured. Don't despair however because these are only my thoughts, but history does show the match committee do like him.

As for the forward line, in my opinion, both Weightman and JJ are our best two small forwards which is why they've been picked there. JJ's season was disrupted with an injury in preseason but he's capable of fulfilling this role, with a combination of Garcia, Vandermeer, West, and McLean rotating through.

It's not that dissimilar to the general consensus bar one or two slight tweaks.

B: Gardner Jones Richards
    HB: Dale Keath Daniel
    C: Williams Bont Hannan
    HF: JJ Naughton Treloar
    F: Marra Lobb Weightman
    R: English Baz Libba
    Int: Duryea, Macrae, Scott/Roarke, McLean/Garcia/West/Vandermeer

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I know Hannan is much maligned
    It's not that dissimilar to the general consensus bar one or two slight tweaks.
    I was more curious around the Hannan selection as the wing along with our small forwards is our positions of real concern. So in reality I’m concerned with our small forwards full stop!

Heck my team is also slightly different to the majority. Keath isn’t in my best 23 and my two wingmen are B.Smith and Scott.

9. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buku and Sweet to be upgraded to main list.
    Sweetie survives.

Post Thanks / Like

If Clarke can bolt into contention quickly.

HF: West Naughton Weightman
    F: Marra Lobb Clarke

Alternates: Darcy, Garcia, McLean, Bedendo, McNeil

Does this mean JJ and VDM can get moved into the squads for either the wing or HBF (with Baker)? They appear surplus to need and aren’t natural forwards.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated:

Clarke in, JJ out - heading to my wing/HBF squad

I want Dale on the wing, but will happily take Daniel too. The same argument applies for Dale & Daniel:

Dale (16.3 since moving to defence), since Daniel moved back he’s kicked 11.3 since moving to defence. Not quite as many scores as Dale over a longer period, but Dale is about 85% accurate and Daniel about 77% accurate at goal. Giving either of these guys more shots at goal creates a new source of additional scoring power and improve I50’s.

2022 Elimination Final Team:

FB: Richards - Gardner - Cordy
    HB: Daniel - Keath - Dale
    C: McLean - Macrae - R. Smith
    HF: Treloar - Ugle-Hagan - Johannisen
    F: Weightman - Naughton - Darcy
    R: English - Bontempelli - B. Smith
    I: Hunter - Dunkley - Vandermeer - Williams
    S: McComb

Round 1 Team:

FB: Richards - Gardner - L. Jones

Notes: Cordy Out. Liam Jones In - Jones in 2021 av. KPD #1 IC Marks, #1 1-on-1 loss rate, #6 IC poss', #7th spoils - if he can get close to those 2021 performances, that's a HUGE upgrade on Cordy
    Notes: Gardner and Richards with another pre-season - I have Bruce in the mix as a defender too

HB: Daniel - Keath - Duryea

Notes: Keath released to play a more intercepting role. If his body isn't holding up, Bruce comes in for him
    Notes: Daniel still the general down back with Duryea when fit. Two very smart, calm and wise heads

C: R. Smith - Macrae - Dale

Notes: Dale moved to the wing. Improved I50 entries from his kicking and with 16.3 (nearly 80% accuracy) since playing as a defender, he adds a new avenue to increase goals with such accuracy from long range by getting him more shots throughout the season from the wing. This kind of accuracy is a weapon, and he has the training as a forward and defender to help him in the job
    Notes: R. Smith a defensive winger. If JJ is moved to wing, this could a more contested selection if JJ makes it work

HF: Treloar - Ugle-Hagan - Clarke

Notes: Ugle-Hagan gets the third tall with Naughton and Lobb having the best two defenders. 2022 Ranked #36 Marks I50
    Notes: Treloar with more midfield minutes with Dunkley leaving
    Notes: JJ is for me, to be pushed up to the wing, or even HBF group again with McLean, West & Garcia available forward roles for defensive forward, high HFF and some mid minutes
    Notes: Clarke is a natural forward. The sooner we sync Clarke, Weightman, Marra, Naughty & Lobb the better. A hard worker, loves to tackle, good shot at goal and instinctive. I will take that every day over a hard working player from another area of the ground. He’s already a very good size and build for a forward pocket.

F: Weightman - Naughton - Lobb

Notes: Darcy to the bench. Lobb in. 2022 AFL Ranked #29 Goals, #19 Cont. Marks, #15 Marks I50, #6 TOG
    Notes: Naughton 2022 AFL Ranked #11 Goals, #5 Cont. Marks, #12 Marks I50
    Notes: Weightman 2022 AFL Ranked #29 Goals, #49 Marks I50
    Notes: Weightman and Naughton again with another pre-season and a dangerous foil in Lobb

R: English - Bontempelli - B. Smith

Notes: Hoping English gets better training with Lobb, and ruck coached by Lade
    Notes: Hoping Bonts body gets cherry ripe and B. Smith raises to the next level yet again
    Notes: Second Ruck. Cordy was ranked our #2 for hit outs. Lobb takes that. Lobb was ranked 27th in the league as a KPF. A MASSIVE upgrade

Int From: Williams (def) - Liberatore (mid) - West/Garcia (HFF/mid) - McLean (HFF/mid) - Darcy (KPF/KPD)

Notes: Darcy on the bench allows us to play tall at either end. Darcy the give us 3 AFL Quality athletic talls over 205cm. This gives Darcy the time to work into his career, at either end, which is good for his development but also gives Bevo match day options to move his huge frame around as the game requires it
    Notes: West or Garcia in for VDM (who i'd move to the wing or HBF group)

E: Bruce (KPD) - JJ (HBF/Wing) - West/Garcia (HFF/mid) - Vandermeer (HBF/wing) - O'Brien (def) - Khamis (def/for) - Scott (wing)

Notes: Hoping Bruce's body gets back to match fitness and using him down back
    Notes: VDM moved as per above. O'Brien and Khamis hopefully commanding a spot down back too

Rest: Hannan - Crozier - Sweet - Oskar Baker - McNeil - McComb - Bedendo - A. Jones - Cleary - Raak - Busslinger - Gallagher - RD Pick

Draftees: Clarke above. Gallagher & Busslinger given all the time they need. Plus a player in the RD

Delisted Free Agent/SSP: Oskar Baker

Overall Change 2022 Elim Final Team vs Round 1, 2023 Team:

2022 Elim Final Out (6): Cordy, Hunter (recent version, not the B&F version) & Dunkley, JJ & Vandermeer (HBF’s out of position), MCComb (sub)
    2023 Round 1 In (6): Lobb, Jones, Liberatore, Duryea, Clarke & West/Garcia (plus $1M+ salary savings to go FA shopping with picks at years end)

Notes:

Libba for Dunkley - draw (Treloar more midifeld minutes could even be a silver lining)
    Jones for Cordy - win
    Lobb for Hunter - win
    West/Garcia for VDM - win (for mine)
    Clarke for JJ - win (for mine)
    Duryea for McComb - win

The Round 1, 2023 Team is a much better outfit, not just on new mature acquisitions, but also on injured players coming back into the line up, natural improvement in players with <100 Games Experience and positional improvements such as Lobb Second Ruck (not Cordy), Marra getting the third defender, Keath being released to intercept a little more (as at Adelaide), more mid minutes for Treloar in the middle and another genuine small forward with goal kicking instincts and who loves hard work.

Assessment:

1. In form, with good development among younger players and acquisitions, the window is open in 2023.
    2. Get the list fit and healthy.
    3. Keep the list as healthy as possible, managing many players (ie Bruce, Keath, Duryea, Jones, McLean, Bonts, Treloar)
    4. Give no coach, nor any player, any excuses in 2023.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 30-11-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Thanks bornadog, Scraggers thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bench hasn't been extended from the past 2 seasons. The sub can simply be activated at any time, rather than waiting for an injury (or having to concoct one). I don't see it making much difference to how we select the team.

16. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The bench hasn't been extended from the past 2 seasons. The sub can simply be activated at any time, rather than waiting for an injury (or having to concoct one). I don't see it making much difference to how we select the team.
    Aha. Will update.

Post Thanks / Like

Fox sports has suggested this might be our best 22

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Ed Richards, Liam Jones, Alex Keath

HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Dale

C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith

HF: Rhylee West, Rory Lobb, Sam Darcy

F: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Laitham Vandermeer

FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar

I/C: Jason Johannisen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean

In: Rory Lobb, Liam Jones, Jedd Busslinger, Charlie Clarke, Harvey Gallagher

Out: Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache, Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Stefan Martin, Mitch Wallis, Louis Butler, Charlie Parker

WE SAY: The Bulldogs needed to bolster their backline and they get the chance with Liam Jones returning to the kennel. Jones missed the 2021 season after failing to adhere to the AFL’s health and safety protocols, but he’s stayed involved through the QAFL. Recruit Rory Lobb walks into the best 22, but it won’t be at the expense of young talent Sam Darcy. Coach Luke Beveridge will have to find a balance between his tall timber of Aaron Naughton, Darcy, Lobb, Josh Bruce and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Darcy could also head down back if needed. Skipper Marcus Bontempelli can head forward with Laitham Vandermeer waiting on the bench. The likes of Jason Johannisen, Roarke Smith, Buku Khamis and Anthony Scott will have a fight on their hands to grab a spot in the 22, while Charlie Clarke could put even more selection pressure on those already at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

FB: Duryea, Jones, Richards
    HB: Dale, Gardner, Darcy/Keath
    C: Baker, Libba, BSmith
    HF: Treloar, Naughton, JUH
    FF: Weightman, Lobb, West
    F: English, Bont, Macrae
    I: Daniel, McLean, Williams, JJ, Clarke

We like to play our mature age signings ASAP so I've put Baker in there. Keath and Darcy get to battle it out for that final defender spot.

20. Likes mjp, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fox sports has suggested this might be our best 22

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Ed Richards, Liam Jones, Alex Keath

HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Dale

C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith

HF: Rhylee West, Rory Lobb, Sam Darcy

F: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Laitham Vandermeer

FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar

I/C: Jason Johannisen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean

In: Rory Lobb, Liam Jones, Jedd Busslinger, Charlie Clarke, Harvey Gallagher

Out: Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache, Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Stefan Martin, Mitch Wallis, Louis Butler, Charlie Parker

WE SAY: The Bulldogs needed to bolster their backline and they get the chance with Liam Jones returning to the kennel. Jones missed the 2021 season after failing to adhere to the AFL’s health and safety protocols, but he’s stayed involved through the QAFL. Recruit Rory Lobb walks into the best 22, but it won’t be at the expense of young talent Sam Darcy. Coach Luke Beveridge will have to find a balance between his tall timber of Aaron Naughton, Darcy, Lobb, Josh Bruce and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Darcy could also head down back if needed. Skipper Marcus Bontempelli can head forward with Laitham Vandermeer waiting on the bench. The likes of Jason Johannisen, Roarke Smith, Buku Khamis and Anthony Scott will have a fight on their hands to grab a spot in the 22, while Charlie Clarke could put even more selection pressure on those already at the club.
    Fox Sports needs to remember the existence of Taylor Duryea.

22. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    Fox Sports needs to remember the existence of Taylor Duryea.
    He's an important player for us but he does have trouble staying fit. Lets hope for a strong 2023 from him.