Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
    Gardner Jones JJ
    Ed Keath Dale
    Williams Macrae Treloar
    Smith JUH Mckean
    Weightman Naughton Lobb

English Bont Libba

Daniel West Baker Darcy Sub Garcia

i think JJ will go back and Caleb playing more midfield. New recruits often are given a run so think Baker will be chosen. Have selected West and Treloar even with limited preseasons. Bruce looks great but I think he needs to play a few vfl games as a defender before I choose him ahead of Keath. Keath has dropped 5 kilios and looks in great shape
    No Duryea is a bit of a surprise. I think you're right about Baker and good to see West and Darcy in the line up.
    Where do you see Roarke Smith, Hannan and Bruce in the selection mix?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Team, Round 1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No Duryea is a bit of a surprise. I think you're right about Baker and good to see West and Darcy in the line up.
    Where do you see Roarke Smith, Hannan and Bruce in the selection mix?
    A fit Duryea is our number 1 lockdown small defender. Injuries impacted him last year and I am not sure he can regain his 20/21 form. Hope to be proven wrong as I rate him. I also think we are looking at more run from defence hence JJ go back and he replaces him.

Bruce needs to prove to me he is a capable defender. He looks it great shape so he is doing everything right.

i would prefer to give the younger players with a bigger upside a go before Hannan and Roarke. I hear Hannan has been great in preseason but he goes missing too much for me in game. He has all the attributes, just does not get enough of the pill.

3. Likes bornadog, Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFill View Post
    B: Duryea Jones Richards
    HB: Dale Bruce Daniel
    C: Smith Treloar Liberatore
    HF: West Ugle-Hagan Hannan
    F: Weightman Naughton Lobb
    R: English Bont Macrae
    I: Williams Garcia McLean Scott Gardner

I reckon it a given that Bruce will play CHB this year, and with Jones that’s a real key defender clean out. Gardner will play third tall defender this year, and Keith will be in and out as back up to Bruce and Jones.

We’ll have great depth this year. This will mean Darcy is brought along slowly, and guys not mentioned here will get regular games too. I predict we will have just about every guy on the list play at some stage, with the exception of maybe Busslinger who will really have to be knocking the door down to get a crack. Not worried by that though, he’s a 200 gamer in the making.

The depth is a double edge sword though. We'll lose a couple of good players to trades at the end of year as they look for more game time; which they’ll deserve.

I'm interested to know why you feel that way? I think he has been moved there for training not because he is a first choice option, but because the coaches identified limited opportunities in the forward line and wanted to build his skillset.

My backline is
    Jones and Gardner (KPP)
    Keath (3rd tall, interceptor) - this is the role Darcy is gunning for
    Duryea (small close checking defender)
    Richards, Dale (quarterbacks) - also acknowledge Richards is currently our best interceptor
    Caleb - bench cover

Mids
    English (ruck)
    Bont, Macrae, Libba
    Baker, Roarke (wings) - Baker v Williams v Roarke v Scott over the next month
    5th mid/high half forward - Bailey Smith
    Bench cover - McLean, Garcia, Williams

Forwards
    Lobb out of the square, Naughton as our Nick Riewoldt, Jamarra floating
    Weightman - at their feet, but also on their heads
    West - forward pressure, hopefully some midfield minutes.
    Bench cover - Hannan (he's a Bevo favourite and has been leading the running)

I imagine JJ and Darcy will find their way into the team as well, with West, Hannan, Williams and Keath on the fringe.

I have accounted for Treloar not being fit.

5. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen much of Baker but I can't see him coming straight in. He was a fringe player at Melbourne and they were happy to lose him and put Hunter on the wing, so that tells me a bit about his ability.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I haven't seen much of Baker but I can't see him coming straight in. He was a fringe player at Melbourne and they were happy to lose him and put Hunter on the wing, so that tells me a bit about his ability.
    While I agree Baker is no walk up start for round 1 we should acknowledge that Bevo normally embraces new arrivals and gives them the chance to grab a spot. I don't see why that would not apply to Baker if he impresses.
    As for the Hunter and Baker example you have highlighted we often see what might be described as fringe players at some clubs getting chances in their new sides.
    Baker was stuck behind 2 good wingers at Melbourne so no shame there. Time will tell if he gets a chance and then makes a strong showing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm interested to know why you feel that way? I think he has been moved there for training not because he is a first choice option, but because the coaches identified limited opportunities in the forward line and wanted to build his skillset.

My backline is
    Jones and Gardner (KPP)
    Keath (3rd tall, interceptor) - this is the role Darcy is gunning for
    Duryea (small close checking defender)
    Richards, Dale (quarterbacks) - also acknowledge Richards is currently our best interceptor
    Caleb - bench cover

Mids
    English (ruck)
    Bont, Macrae, Libba
    Baker, Roarke (wings) - Baker v Williams v Roarke v Scott over the next month
    5th mid/high half forward - Bailey Smith
    Bench cover - McLean, Garcia, Williams

Forwards
    Lobb out of the square, Naughton as our Nick Riewoldt, Jamarra floating
    Weightman - at their feet, but also on their heads
    West - forward pressure, hopefully some midfield minutes.
    Bench cover - Hannan (he's a Bevo favourite and has been leading the running)

I imagine JJ and Darcy will find their way into the team as well, with West, Hannan, Williams and Keath on the fringe.

I have accounted for Treloar not being fit.
    where do you see JJ fitting in?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    where do you see JJ fitting in?
    I thought he would have West or Hannan's role, but him playing half back in match sim threw a curve ball at that.

I'm not convinced that he's going back again, but I think Garcia out, Caleb to midfield cover and JJ to half back is a net positive.

Post Thanks / Like

I am basing his inclusion on training reports, as he seems one of the first choice. It would not be unlike Bevo.

I don't share your concerns that he was a fringe player. I understand the situations are not identical and not taking the conversation over old ground, but Lipinski and Young were also fringe players.
    You can be a good player missing out on opportunities through circumstance - like having AA winger Ed Langdon and Angus Brayshaw ahead of you. His numbers at VFL level are good for a wing - he got 34 touches against Footscray in round 18.

11. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The one thing he has going for him is he is a genuine wingman and the only one on our list. I think breaking into a Demon's team with the extremely durable and consistent Hunt and Langdon was probably an uphill battle, despite playing really well over an extended time in the VFL.

I don't know much about him the only information coming from a Melbourne supporting mate but apparently he's quick and has a crack. One negative is his kicking or so I've heard.

I personally think he is a player in a position of need and I can see him getting a jumper early in the season.

13. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Baker is interesting, has speed, aggression but appears his skills are hit and miss. I hope his delisting is a wake up call for him and he now understands he needs to improve his professionalism off field, especially during the season.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
    Baker is interesting, has speed, aggression but appears his skills are hit and miss. I hope his delisting is a wake up call for him and he now understands he needs to improve his professionalism off field, especially during the season.
    I found it interesting in his interview for the club when he arrived, that he met with Bevo & Power during the season with a view of a trade potentially. So we’ve seen something in him for a long while to have targeted him, long before Hunter was out the door. So I’m hoping you’re bang on. Plus we got him for free!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised to see Keath left out of so many teams.

Back half of 2021 and 2022 were a total write off due to injuries.

From all reports he is now moving well and injury free, for this reason alone I’d be giving him the nod ahead of Bruce and Darcy.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I found it interesting in his interview for the club when he arrived, that he met with Bevo & Power during the season with a view of a trade potentially. So we’ve seen something in him for a long while to have targeted him, long before Hunter was out the door. So I’m hoping you’re bang on. Plus we got him for free!
    I find it intriguing that Melbourne were prepared to let him go to effectively create the space for Hunter.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have training reports and it just highlights that we have great depth with plenty of regulars under pressure for a spot.

Hopefully this translates into a strong start to the season.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’m surprised to see Keath left out of so many teams.

Back half of 2021 and 2022 were a total write off due to injuries.

From all reports he is now moving well and injury free, for this reason alone I’d be giving him the nod ahead of Bruce and Darcy.
    For mine all three are in great condition. My early worry is if he is on the same page as coaches. If this changes in the match sims then I would swap him in as first choice.

23. Thanks azabob thanked for this post