Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Using our resources.

Just a couple from me from the Freo game.

I sort of get the pile on - lot's of negativity on here - but Freo are pretty good and were always going to be a hard out. Some straight kicking in q3 when we were dominating could have made the difference, but whatchagonnado??

Just in terms of using our resources to their best advantage:

1/. Jones MUST be the deepest defender. When Buku and JOD were taken deep, bad stuff happened. It wasn't just Buku and it wasn't just JOD - it was both of them...Jones takes the deepest at ALL TIMES. He makes great mark vs spoil decisions and knows when to leave his man and when to stay and fight...it might be experience (I think it is a bit more than that) but in any case, he stays deep.

2/. Richards as a mid is a great CHANGE-UP. But we shouldn't be losing him from the defensive group completely. I don't get how we've gone from one extreme to the other with Ed...to me it is 7-mins back to 4-mins inside to 3 mins off rinse and repeat...we still need him behind the ball.

** Yes, I accept Liber's absence impacted here.

3/. Naughton. Can we please not be half-pregnant with him? He is either UP the ground or the deepest but we can't (surely) be asking him to do both. His running efforts were outrageous last night but if he is the D50 outlet then he can't ALSO be the primary inside 50m target. That said, making Darcy the prime i50 target is not a great plan right now....

** Yes, I accept Jamarra's absence impacted here.

4/. Bont. In close games, I think we have to match-up hunt with Bont. Flip him between roles - back, mid and forward - based on the matchup and do it QUICKLY. We have a weapon here but can't let it get stuck 'out of range' for so long.

5/. Garcia, West and and whoever else is playing forward. Get them up and around the ball...the mid mix still needs to be expanded...PLUS this will mean continually changing the look of the forward group re- size/shape. I think West is going ordinary right now but a couple of stints inside will not hurt. Garcia simply has to go in more or he may as well play VFL.

Overall, I thought we tried our butts off and "coulda" won it...life doesn't always fall the way you want it too though.

I have lots of thoughts about last night...overall, I thought we showed a LOT...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs, Mofra, The Underdog thanked for this post
    Likes Scorlibo, jDogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using our resources.

When Naughton marks on the wing and looks up and can’t kick it to himself he slows down and so does our team. We need Marra back as notwithstanding Darcy and Lobb can mark, they just don’t command the ball leading up like Marra and Naughton can (and even English can).

Agree on more midfield looks and Ed spending core time in the defensive group. We kinda need that group more settled. Imagine it changes a bit when Libba is back. Ed as a freshen up for 5 minutes in the mids here and there is great but not our mainstay.

Re Bont - also being on the bench for so long was a massive fail. Maybe he had an illness too? He wasn’t able to impact as much as normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Re Bont - also being on the bench for so long was a massive fail. Maybe he had an illness too? He wasn’t able to impact as much as normal.
    Funny you mention this...when Liber went over I figured more would follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    When Naughton marks on the wing and looks up and can’t kick it to himself he slows down and so does our team.
    That's OK though. 'Cos we've exited the ball...job done. Naughton just needs to find a mark and we reset in whatever our slow ball movement play is called...

We have the firepower inside 50m to bring it to deck in a slow play situation...so if Naughton takes the mark at half back, that should be the cue for slow play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    That's OK though. 'Cos we've exited the ball...job done. Naughton just needs to find a mark and we reset in whatever our slow ball movement play is called...

We have the firepower inside 50m to bring it to deck in a slow play situation...so if Naughton takes the mark at half back, that should be the cue for slow play.
    Good insight - don’t mind it, would be good to see us execute it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mjp-makes me feel a bit better. I also felt there was no want of effort and inacccuracy cost us.

Where was the piercing kicks, zig zagging across ground like last week? Was it we were low on confidence and/or Freo set up better?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Thanks mjp-makes me feel a bit better. I also felt there was no want of effort and inacccuracy cost us.

Where was the piercing kicks, zig zagging across ground like last week? Was it we were low on confidence and/or Freo set up better?
    Watching, Freo got back in massive numbers...the Saints were a bit off last week (they're way better than they showed).

It's easy to say 'just kick through the zone' but they were really teasing the kicker on any attempt to change the lane and it would not have been easy...to be fair, we did the same and they also had trouble scoring.

Again - to me if we just have Jones deep at all times and kick straight in q3, we win. Even that mark Buku 'nearly' took in q4...that just 'felt' like a 'KILL' moment (as in, kill this, get it out of there). And I get that taking the mark is the 'ultimate' kill (and he 'nearly' took it) but as soon as it hit the deck it was a goal and that was a BIG MOMENT.

Again - on feel - he and JOD just aren't up to the moments we are trying to get them to play YET. Draper (Freo) is also not up to those moments...he was subbed out with a hamstring. I know this meant Luke Ryan had to fight out of his weight division but I would have actually preferred to see Richards trying to fight out of his weight class vs - say - Treacy - and Garcia in the mids than Buku and JOD in the last line. BUT - how are they going to learn if they never do it?

On the other hand, if Liber plays do Fyfe and Serong kill us at the stop like that??

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it, if we kicked accurately we'd still have lost as we'd have allowed a fairly quick reply. It's just what we do when we have nights like last night.

10. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Let's face it, if we kicked accurately we'd still have lost as we'd have allowed a fairly quick reply. It's just what we do when we have nights like last night.
    Please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Please.
    Please. There's always an out with this group isnt there?

They just aren't up to it. Why do we always look for excuses? I think the fans are fairly sick of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Freo played through whoever was on Buku. We wasted a year on Buku playing him forward in the VFL when we should have left him down back for the year in the VFL learning how to defend. Watch Buku of the ball he has no touch on his opponents and when the opposition run and gun quickly he can't read the play and gets out of position. Just not sure playing in the 1's is the best way to learn this.

We also let Freo dictate how we moved the ball out of defence. It was not quick and allowed them time to zone. Not one person at times demanded the ball leaving the person kicking out second guessing and often resulting in a turnover. We needed to move the ball quicker from kick outs.

I think Freo are very average but it also says about where we are at. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of unity in the team.