Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 7, 2024 vs Fremantle

This is the Round 7, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once tonight's game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bannkers & Anchors: Rnd 7, 2024 vs Fremantle

B

Sam Darcy
    Liam Jones
    Bailey Dale

A

Shit third quarter goal kicking
    Daniel looks shot
    Umpiring
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Darcy
    Lian Jones
    O'Donnell and Garcia showed they're up for it.

A

Weightman's injury
    Bont and Co, fluffing kicks my 10 year old son nailed repeatedly today when he kicked 8.1 in his season opening under 11's game today.
    Buku took a massive step backward today in his development. I hope he learns from this quickly. He needs to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

Darcy
    Lian Jones

A

Weightman's injury
    Bont and Co, fluffing kicks my 10 year old son nailed repeatedly today when he kicked 8.1 in his season opening under 11's game today.
    Buku took a massive step backward today in his development. I hope he learns from this quickly. He needs to.
    8.1! Sign the lad up.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 7, 2024 vs Fremantle

Bankers

1. Sam Darcy - his only played 13 games ffs. He uses his height and footy nous to get the most out of his skinny frame. Watching his career develop is going to be fun

2. Dale responding to some tough love from the coaches. He could've sooked it up and withered away at Footscray but instead he took it on board and got himself back into form. That's leadership quality

3. Garcia. I'm seeing glimpses of a genuine footballer and not just a part timer. He really knows his way around congestion and how and when to use his body to knock his opponent off the ball. He is quite clever as well. I say all this because there were times last year that I was worried that he wasn't good enough to make the grade.

Anchors

1. Lobb. This bloke can't seem to string 2 good games together. He is the same height as Darcy but he always looks like he's not tall enough in marking contests. He looks like someone who simply treats football as a job where as long as the money is in the bank he will show up for work. No passion and desire

2. Getting dominated in the midfield. Isn't that supposed to be our strength. But we have Bont, Treloar, English, Macrae, Libba (obviously not last night). Aren't we supposed to have arguably the best midfield in the comp. If we do something Isn't working. The comp (better teams) has either worked them out, they aren't performing at their optimum best or the system (game plan) isn't working. Or is the system to hard to maintain? All I know is that when we are skiing downhill, we are doing jumps and tricks but when it's time to work back up the hill there seems to be a few missing. The job is always left to the same few when the going gets tough.

I think I heard a stat last night that no Geelong player has chalked up 30 disposals this year. They are sitting clear on top of the table. That's where we should start looking to even some things out. Are the same blokes getting all the on ball minutes and are getting too gassed? Does our game plan not utilise every player effectively enough? Are we not sharing the ball and are always looking for the same players? So many questions that need answering before another season has gone and our great players are another season older.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post

I think I heard a stat last night that no Geelong player has chalked up 30 disposals this year. They are sitting clear on top of the table. That's where we should start looking to even some things out. Are the same blokes getting all the on ball minutes and are getting too gassed? Does our game plan not utilise every player effectively enough? Are we not sharing the ball and are always looking for the same players? So many questions that need answering before another season has gone and our great players are another season older.
    This is a good couple of questions and wondered similar. We always hear our supporters say "He's a midfielder. Who does he push out?" Why can't we role them through there? I'm not saying turn player X into Y but constant rotations through there so we're fresh for the hole game. To the naked eye it doesn't seem like we do it often. Maybe I'm wrong and there are stats to back it up it just seems that other teams have a constant flow of players through the middle and we're relying on 3 - 4 guys every week.

Post Thanks / Like

I?d like West & Garcia given mid time. What we are doing is rinse & repeat and it?s not working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

Darcy
    Lian Jones

A

Weightman's injury
    Congrats to junior YHF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    - Darcy in the F50 on offence
    - Liam Jones, absolute rock
    - Dale. Looks like a kick up the bum a few weeks ago has got him back to his best

Anchers:
    - Darcy/Lobb on defence. Freo walked it out at times, I'm worried we can only play one of them in the same side
    - Using Daniel instead of Harmes as a defensive mid, and pulling the trigger too late. Why trade for an asset and refuse to use it?
    - Lack of experienced second tall option in D50 killed. Khamis had a mare but has credits in the bank, and JOD gave away a panicked hold free kick just when we didn't want to because that's what exactly inexperienced tall kids do when dragged deep.
    The sooner we get JOD to 50 games, the better.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bankers:
    - Darcy in the F50 on offence
    - Liam Jones, absolute rock
    - Dale. Looks like a kick up the bum a few weeks ago has got him back to his best

Anchers:
    - Darcy/Lobb on defence. Freo walked it out at times, I'm worried we can only play one of them in the same side
    - Using Daniel instead of Harmes as a defensive mid, and pulling the trigger too late. Why trade for an asset and refuse to use it?
    - Lack of experienced second tall option in D50 killed. Khamis had a mare but has credits in the bank, and JOD gave away a panicked hold free kick just when we didn't want to because that's what exactly inexperienced tall kids do when dragged deep.
    The sooner we get JOD to 50 games, the better.
    I kinda felt like JOD should've got the free first when he was pulled out of the front position.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I kinda felt like JOD should've got the free first when he was pulled out of the front position.
    That's a strength thing and I can wear it - he's a much better run and jump player, kids are.
    We just have to find a way to not have him isolated deep. I'd never seen Khamis in deep one on ones so often this year either. Longmuir clearly did his homework.

Richards (all 186cm of him) is actually quite good at coming in over the top to help the kids too so if he goes out of the D50 the other guys have to adjust - and it sure isn't JJ/Bramble's forte so either Duryea has to give up front position to be ready for that, or Dale becomes less attacking and more defensive.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post