Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Freo game the one that counts?

I went into last night's game feeling the opposite of how Ross Lyon did.

That was the most confident I've been since early 2023 that we'd win a game of footy. Bevo is the best in the business at tapping into an emotion and getting a group to ride the wave. With the walls closing in last week, I have no doubt Bev went into 'us against them' mode and made that the theme.

We also still have an experienced core of senior, hardened players who were roasted in the media individually and as a collective. They were always going to be fierce at the contest last night and it was no surprise to see Naughton and Dale stamp some authority.

I'm obviously extremely pleased at the win, but for mine, the true test is this week. Go over to Perth and do it again now that some of the heat and emotion is out of the situation.

I think Bailey Dale is symbolic of where this group's at. He was dropped, copped it publicly and responded with his best game in 24 months. Amazing performance but that's now the bar from which you should be measured. And you need to do it as matter of course, not just when the media has given you a kicking.

I thought a Ross Lyon side was the perfect test for us last night and I think Freo are the perfect test next week. They're a solid if unspectacular side, fighting to be in a similar spot to us. They're the kinds of wins that finals' sides have.

If we go over to Perth and beat them, I think we can start to look at this group as having turned a bit of a corner. If we don't show up next week, when some of the emotion has gone out of it, there are big questions about what it takes to get this group up for the contest.

2. Thanks my plums thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the Freo game the one that counts?

Pretty much.

Do that to Freo on the road. Or have a Sydney in 2015 moment and all the glimmers of hope get franked and there’ll be a few credits in the bank. Or a smaller debt.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

It's an extremely important game, especially with games to follow against Hawthorn & Richmond.

Win next week and we should get to 6-3 and then go into the game against the Giants with some momentum.

We played them off the park last year and I see no reason why we can't do it again.

5. Likes GVGjr, azabob, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's an extremely important game, especially with games to follow against Hawthorn & Richmond.

Win next week and we should get to 6-3 and then go into the game against the Giants with some momentum.

We played them off the park last year and I see no reason why we can't do it again.
    Very critical for us and Freo have a bit of a unique game style that we will need to be prepared for.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Historically it?s a plus that we play them a week after the derby. Both WA sides are usually a bit flat after it.

8. Likes azabob, lemmon, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be a fierce and competitive game. I haven’t quite worked out how good Freo are at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should be a fierce and competitive game. I haven’t quite worked out how good Freo are at this stage.
    Fremantle's defense is A grade - their midfield at the source is extremely good.

Biggest problem is they cannot score.

It will be a low scoring affair.

Hopefully Naughton, Weightman, Lobb and Darcy can get ontop and hit the scoreboard.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is. Because half my family support them and I live and work within 3kms of their training facility.

So yes.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge game. If we win it, the needle has moved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Fremantle's defense is A grade - their midfield at the source is extremely good.

Biggest problem is they cannot score.

It will be a low scoring affair.

Hopefully Naughton, Weightman, Lobb and Darcy can get ontop and hit the scoreboard.
    Their team defense is great, but I think their key backs are poor.

Pearce defends well but is horrendous with the footy, Luke Ryan is under-sized and they like to try and free him up, Josh Draper is very raw from what I've seen. If we can move the ball quickly in to Naughton/Darcy/Marra/Lobb, I think we can really stretch them.

16. Likes azabob, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Of course it is. Because half my family support them and I live and work within 3kms of their training facility.

So yes.
    you see them live more than we do. Have we the players, game plan that beat them
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stat - since the end of 2021 we are 0-5 the week after a 50+ point win.

Inconsistency is still there this year but it feels like we are a different team this year compared to 2022-23. We are inconsistent this year more around adjusting to the expectations of the game plan changes as well as an influx of personnel changes that are taking time to bed down, whereas the last couple of years it was purely inconsistency of effort, with our pressure and intensity being on and off.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    you see them live more than we do. Have we the players, game plan that beat them
    I think you are over-estimating how much AFL footy I've watched this year. I did go to watch them play the Crows and came away with two thoughts.

1 - Adelaide suck.
    2 - Freo suck...but slightly less than Adelaide.

It was a low skill, terrible game. And it was Good Friday so my plan to have a beer afterwards was scuppered by the simple fact that everything was closed.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to win well when we're favourites.
    I loved last night's game but we're still so inconsistent as a side even a win against Freo won't put the question marks to bed
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We need to win well when we're favourites.
    I loved last night's game but we're still so inconsistent as a side even a win against Freo won't put the question marks to bed
    We beat both GC & WC when we were favoured to win.

We need to start beating top 8 teams.. our record against the good teams over the past 2 years has been awful and to start giving ourselves some confidence we need some scalps.

23. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post