Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  200
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Adding that mark on Zaine for good measure.

I will not miss seeing that.

2. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Ian Williams was from Swan Distracts too. He made his debut the year after Simon Beasley I think.
    What a kick of the footy! That impossible win at Moorabbin after his brilliant goal late in the game, unforgettable.

4. Likes Twodogs, ratsmac, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Adding that mark on Zaine for good measure.

I will not miss seeing that.
    I hope to see it when we play St Kilda next year.

6. Likes hujsh, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Haha I used to catch the train to Sebastians and miss the last train back. We had to break into the christian brothers hostel in Sydney Rd to get a bed.
    You must've been an early developer to sneek in at 15.
    Yesterday at the self checkout the machine wanted proof 68 me was over 18 to buy matches haha.
    Yeah good times. That particular night it was a University High School year 12 end of the year night. My sister who was in year 12 had 2 tickets, a friend was a no show and then I was the friend. Went there many times over the years before 18 yo. Like you caught the last train home to Yarraville station. 'Erics milk bar" was still open so grab 2 pies and walked home to Bena street. Otherwise had a dozen dimmies at "Mas" take away caravan parked outside Flinders Street station. Memories.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Apparently there are 1 or 2 other players in the league with a basketball background, but it's hardly ever mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't think that there has ever been an AFL footballer with a basketball background. Certainly the commentators have never mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    AFL draft bingo!
    Yes. Give me more.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

All Hail the English Lobster ruck combo, aka the Kray Twins:
    https://external-content.duckduckgo....70a&ipo=images
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

11. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    What a kick of the footy! That impossible win at Moorabbin after his brilliant goal late in the game, unforgettable.
    I'll never forget that day. For some reason me and my two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand and may well have been the only Footscray supporters there. We were jumping around when he kicked that goal until we realised that every other person was glaring at us.

I wanted to go home at 3/4 time but one of my mates said that we may as well see who kicked the first goal in the last quarter. It was Neil Cordy, he took a mark in the goal square and played on!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'You feel like you're on the outer': Lobb opens up on trade saga

WESTERN Bulldogs recruit Rory Lobb played out the 2022 season feeling on the outer at Fremantle but confident he gave his all to the club after deciding he would again seek a trade at the end of the year.

Lobb, whose trade request 12 months ago was denied by the Dockers, successfully secured a move to the Bulldogs on Wednesday in a deal that went through in the final minutes of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

The forward/ruck, who crossed in exchange for pick No.30 and a future second-round selection, said it felt "unreal" to join his third club, having wanted to move east for the past 18 months.

And he questioned whether he would have been able to repeat his career-best season, which netted 36 goals from 21 games, if he'd been held to the final year of his contract in 2023 by the Dockers.

"I was always going to ask for another trade," Lobb said from Perth on Friday. "It's been a year-and-a-half I've wanted out, so it was good to get it done, finally.

"You do feel like you're on the outer at times. The boys had full faith that I'd go out every week and play my hardest and do what's best for the club.

"In the end we were able to play finals and win that first final against the Doggies, funnily enough, so it was good to have a good year with the boys considering I wanted out.

It was obviously really tough, but I kept my head down and did long distance with my partner, which made it a little bit harder."

The former Greater Western Sydney tall admitted he had been surprised and frustrated when Fremantle declared at the start of the trade period that he would be a required played in 2023.

Lobb said the Dockers had told him 12 months earlier, after his failed trade request to the Giants, to "just make sure you have a really good year and we'll go from there and look to facilitate a trade".

The Dockers' position is that Lobb was not guaranteed a trade when his first request was knocked back.

"I was obviously really surprised when it came to Trade Period this year and asked (for a move) and it was denied," he said.

"Considering I had one last year on my contract and the fact I had asked previously, it would be really hard on the group having me around again, feeling like I'm not as committed as I should be.

"Being a young group, they want to start going in a different direction."

Lobb said his approach to football in 2022 was about "getting in and getting my work done", knowing that his teammates were aware he would again be seeking a trade at the end of the season.

The 29-year-old said his relationship and other personal circumstances were behind the move.

"I need to do what's best for me and my mental state," Lobb said.

"I feel like I've changed as a person the last four years. I've really grown up and I feel what's best for me is to move to Melbourne with my partner."

Lobb said he's excited about teaming up with the Bulldogs' young forwards, including Aaron Naughton, and forming a partnership with ruckman Tim English.

He was attracted to the Bulldogs by their style of play and the bond he formed quickly with coach Luke Beveridge.

"I really like the way we move the ball ... just being able to play to my strengths and come hard at the ball with a lot of elite kicks coming off half-back," he said.

"The meeting that I first had with Bevo and the connection we had, I felt like I'd known him for a long time and it's just grown ever since.

"Having him show a lot of faith and say we're going to get you here and we're going to get it done, it was always going to be the Bulldogs."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks josie, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that article BAD. Makes you realise how important Bevo is to our club.

Let’s hope the team is inspired to do great things next year and that MC selections are less puzzling.

17. Likes bornadog, Swoop, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Thanks for that article BAD. Makes you realise how important Bevo is to our club.

Let’s hope the team is inspired to do great things next year and that MC selections are less puzzling.
    MC selections are only puzzling because we don't know the inside workings.

Great that Rory wanted to come to us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    MC selections are only puzzling because we don't know the inside workings.

Great that Rory wanted to come to us.
    Yep. How can you not love Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

He mentioned forming a partnership with English. Hopefully having a good ruckman paired with him will make it easier for English to get feedback and advice from someone who can experience the same thing as English. Not only playing in the same game against the same rucks but being of similar build/style Lobb can tell English what's working for him against the opposing rucks and what typically doesn't work.

Even with Steph they're very different builds but I remember English's ruck work first showed a major sign of improving when playing paired with Martin. I hope a similar bump again occurs with Lobb in the team.

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He mentioned forming a partnership with English. Hopefully having a good ruckman paired with him will make it easier for English to get feedback and advice from someone who can experience the same thing as English. Not only playing in the same game against the same rucks but being of similar build/style Lobb can tell English what's working for him against the opposing rucks and what typically doesn't work.

Even with Steph they're very different builds but I remember English's ruck work first showed a major sign of improving when playing paired with Martin. I hope a similar bump again occurs with Lobb in the team.
    Lade surely would also be a big asset too.

24. Likes hujsh, macca, Twodogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Lade surely would also be a big asset too.
    True. Though we had King until recently as well

26. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy wants to play for us. That is a big deal with me. What's his number? I'm wearing it.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

28. Likes WBFC4FFC, BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post