Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  200
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If we can set up to facilitate our midfield not being the most defensive going around, I think we'll be ok.

In most seasons we've been susceptible to opposition intercept marking defenders killing us. I really can't see that happening next season, or for a while. If/when Lobb starts to decline, Sam Darcy will be primed to take over as a forward/ruck type.
    I think that is where Darcy eventually plays for us but in the next 2 years he will play in a number of roles for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am intrigued about how the game plan may evolve.

We need to utilise the strengths of the playing group.

If we do that properly we absolutely can win the whole thing.
    Like Big Kev,
    I'm excited.
    With JUH & Sam Darcy ready to play a full season, Lobb and English well seasoned and ready, Dunkley gone and the new game plan being drilled this preseason, I'm excited.

3. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Like Big Kev,
    I'm excited.
    With JUH & Sam Darcy ready to play a full season, Lobb and English well seasoned and ready, Dunkley gone and the new game plan being drilled this preseason, I'm excited.
    1/ What makes you think that Sam Darcy is ready to play a full season? Given he has taken no part in any main sessions so far you would think he's a fair way off from being ready for rd 1.

2/ What is our new game plan?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    1/ What makes you think that Sam Darcy is ready to play a full season? Given he has taken no part in any main sessions so far you would think he's a fair way off from being ready for rd 1.

2/ What is our new game plan?
    I'm happy enough to see 2023 as another development season for Darcy as he needs a slow build and should not be rushed.
    Who knows how many games he might play for us but I can't see it being north of 10 games unless a lot of things go right for him.
    Bevo also seems to be trying to temper expectations on him.

He could potentially learn a lot from Lobb next season.

6. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm happy enough to see 2023 as another development season for Darcy as he needs a slow build and should not be rushed.
    Who knows how many games he might play for us but I can't see it being north of 10 games unless a lot of things go right for him.
    Bevo also seems to be trying to temper expectations on him.

He could potentially learn a lot from Lobb next season.
    Agree with this.

Reality is Darcy got games this year because Keath was awful, Cordy was awful, and we had nobody else. Then we realised Bruce wasn't going to cut it in a final and needed him forward.

Fast forward to now and Keath looks in much better shape, Jones has been recruited and Lobb plays a pivotal second KPF/ruck role.

Darcy looks a special talent, as good as any we've seen, but he's a baby and needs time.
    W00F!

8. Likes Stevo, GVGjr, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree with this.

Reality is Darcy got games this year because Keath was awful, Cordy was awful, and we had nobody else. Then we realised Bruce wasn't going to cut it in a final and needed him forward.

Fast forward to now and Keath looks in much better shape, Jones has been recruited and Lobb plays a pivotal second KPF/ruck role.

Darcy looks a special talent, as good as any we've seen, but he's a baby and needs time.
    I know this will sound harsh but it didn't appear to me that Darcy had knocked the door down for selection but he did perform well with the chances he got. Just needs some continuity with his football next season and we will see where that takes him.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this will sound harsh but it didn't appear to me that Darcy had knocked the door down for selection but he did perform well with the chances he got. Just needs some continuity with his football next season and we will see where that takes him.
    He had been pretty good at VFL level, showing some really nice signs, but let’s face it, by Round 22, Josh Bruce had set fire to the door, vomited on the carpet and passed out in someone’s bed.Sam didn’t need to knock the door down, he just needed to walk in and not piss himself to be an improvement. The fact he did some positive things at AFL level was enough. Agree that getting games into him at either level is the aim for this year.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

11. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He did judge the ball in flight really well (from what I saw).
    I don't think that's a trait that can be developed too much once you're in the system - you're either a natural at it, or not.

Kicking what was damn close to VFL goal of the year was a pretty neat trick too.

I'm not sure he plays round 1 but what he did last year after growing 7cm and having no pre-season was remarkable. 2024 he should be playing regularly, perhaps by the end of 2023.
    Lobb seems the perfect age for a transition to where I think a developed Sam Darcy plays - forward/ruck. Might be an intercept defender for a while first though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    He had been pretty good at VFL level, showing some really nice signs, but let’s face it, by Round 22, Josh Bruce had set fire to the door, vomited on the carpet and passed out in someone’s bed.Sam didn’t need to knock the door down, he just needed to walk in and not piss himself to be an improvement. The fact he did some positive things at AFL level was enough. Agree that getting games into him at either level is the aim for this year.
    Oh Underdog, thanks for this wonderful je ne sais quoi turn of phrase. Made me smile. Straight talkin’ no sugar coatin’. Thank you.

15. Thanks The Underdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Oh Underdog, thanks for this wonderful je ne sais quoi turn of phrase. Made me smile. Straight talkin’ no sugar coatin’. Thank you.
    No probs Josie. Much like the Dogs, I achieved very little this year, but glad I could come up with something on the siren
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

17. Likes MrMahatma, GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not expecting anything at all from Darcy. He is a kid who is having another delayed pre season and is starting from a fair way back. I tend to think it is the media pushing Darcy forward at a quicker rate and it is probably to get a rise out of Bevo.

I really hope Darcy is everything we are hoping for but I do think some of the hype is a bit much, he has taken a handful of clunks but we really don’t even know what type of player he will be. If forward can he create separation? If back is he able play on more mobile players to intercept because that’s how most of them play.

More time at VFL level will not be the worst thing for Darcy and will help refine some parts of his game. At the moment he is very reliant on contested marking, this will always be his best asset but he needs more footy to understand what he can do at the level. If he is dominant in the VFL as he gains fitness we can bring him in as roles open up with some confidence.

19. Likes GVGjr, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, back to pinning our hopes for 2023 on…checks notes, Rory Lobb?
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Now, back to pinning our hopes for 2023 on…checks notes, Robbie McComb
    Fixed it for you, TU.
    "It's over. It's all over."

22. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Super talented talls don't need to knock the door down to be given games. They just need to be given games.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

24. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Fixed it for you, TU.
    Ideal swap for Dunks......!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

26. Likes EasternWest liked this post