Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  85
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome BACK to the Western Bulldogs Liam Jones

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I could be wrong here but didn't Johnno give him the DFA name in his first game presentation?
    That was just my memory. Maybe you are correct.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He did.

I'd play along but since you're not talking to me I'll wait until you are.
    C'mon this definitely is nets worthy. I'd fly down for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    No way, BAD would smash me.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong here but didn't Johnno give him the DFA name in his first game presentation?
    Hd definitely did. It was while he was presenting his jumper on the ground before his debut at the MCG.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    This boy. This man.
    EW has the quote right.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Trouble maker
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From a Fox Footy article last year as Jones retired:

…. Jones was eventually traded to the Blues in exchange for Pick 46 – the draft selection the Bulldogs used to acquire Caleb Daniel, who became a premiership player, All-Australian, best and fairest winner and one of the league’s best kicks. Meanwhile, Jones struggled to cement his spot in the Blues’ best 22 as a key forward, leading to extended stints in the VFL.

Then came a career-defining switch, with Jones moved from the forward line to the backline midway through 2017. And it paid massive dividends, clamping the likes of Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Jesse Hogan and Jarryd Roughead during the back-end of the season as spoiling, one-on-one strength and intercept marking became key features of his game.

By the end of 2021, Jones had developed a terrific rapport with Jacob Weitering and developed into one of the league’s best key backmen, ranking first for average intercept marks (4.2). Among tall defenders, he was ranked No. 1 for contested one-on-one loss rate (11.8%) – despite Carlton being ranked seventh-last for inside 50 differential – as well as sixth for intercept possessions (8.4) and seventh for spoils (7.3).

So after such a celebrated turnaround, Jones leaves a significant chasm.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am now satisfied with this recruitment.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

11. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good interview here

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks F'scary, hujsh, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'Nowhere near a finished product': Ex-Blue has plenty more to give

After more than 12 months away from the game, Liam Jones is back where it all started at the Western Bulldogs

WHITTEN Oval looks immensely different to the last time Liam Jones parked his car at the Western Bulldogs' headquarters every day.

It's not just due to the $77 million redevelopment that has transformed the iconic suburban ground into a largescale worksite. The people have changed.

Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore and Jack Macrae are the only players still at the club since Jones departed for Carlton at the end of 2014, following 66 games across six seasons in Footscray.

Luke Beveridge, who signed a two-year contract extension late last year that locks him in at the kennel until the end of 2025, was still weeks away from joining the Western Bulldogs when Jones moved to Princes Park. He had just left Hawthorn and was yet to spend that single day as St Kilda's director of coaching.

But while plenty has changed, both on and off the field, some things inside the club haven't. Mark Kimpton is still the facility manager, still organising carpark passes among a myriad of daily tasks that keeps the club running smoothly. And Anissa Groves is still the beloved head trainer, still strapping Jones' ankles at 31 years of age, just like she was when he was a 17-year-old schoolboy.

The people matter to Jones.

After more than 12 months away from the game, the star defender is back from a season playing for Palm Beach Currumbin in the QAFL, back from the brink of being lost to the game, and back in the No.19 he wore in his first stint at the club.

Cody Weightman has moved to the iconic No.3, worn by club greats Ted Whitten, Arthur Olliver, Chris Grant and most recently Mitch Wallis. It didn't take the livewire forward long to approach Jones in the gym and suggest the defender wears his old number again.

"It is something that never crossed my mind because Cody is such a good player and has played so many good games in the No.19 – I didn't think it would be available," Jones told AFL.com.au.

"I would have been happy to wear any number, I just wanted the opportunity to play at the highest level again.

"To get the tap on the shoulder from Cody to say he was moving to No.3 and No.19 had opened back up. It's pretty cool to continue my footy here in the jumper I started in.

"To get back in it and potentially play 100 games in the jumper, and continue my career at the Bulldogs in the same jumper is pretty cool."

Beveridge also wore No.19 during his three-season, 31-game stint in the red, white and blue in the early 90s. The 2016 premiership winning coach has helped Jones transition back into life at the Western Bulldogs, life back in a full-time environment.

"He has been great through the whole process. Even before I signed here, he was very open and we started to build our relationship then," Jones said.

"It's more just been connecting, chatting and getting to know each other. I'm sure when training starts there will be a lot of learning, getting back into the system, he has been a great influence so far."

Jones' AFL career looked like it might be over when he chose not to comply with the AFL's vaccine mandate at the end of 2021, walking away from a lucrative deal and prominent role in Michael Voss' project at Carlton.

The intercept defender headed north to the Gold Coast and looked set to sail off into the sunset, before the AFL changed course and dropped the mandate midway through the year.

Now he has returned to where it all started, choosing the Dogs over several other suitors to sign a three-year deal as an unrestricted free agent in October.

"It is funny how things work out. I'm just super grateful the club is putting its trust in me to give the opportunity," he said.

"It's always been my dream to play AFL football so to continue that dream where it started is really special to me. I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

"I feel like every year since I moved to defence I've improved every year and I’ll continue wanting to improve. I'm nowhere near a finished product."

After struggling for multiple options in the key posts at either end in 2022, the Western Bulldogs now have depth that will cause selection headaches next year if everyone is available for selection.

While Alex Keath found himself out of the best 22 at times in the second half of the season, the former Crow has been reliable in defence, Ryan Gardner produced a career best campaign and Sam Darcy showed he is the future.

Despite a year out of the game, and the fact he will turn 32 before the 2023 season starts, Jones feels like he has quickly adjusted to the speed of training, laying the foundations the year with an impressive block ahead of Christmas.

"I feel really great. I thought the tempo and intensity of training (might take some time to adjust to), but in saying that I feel like I've stayed in really good shape, kept myself really fit," he said.

"I touched base with the weights coach and running coach here, so prior to pre-season training starting I was going for about three months. I feel like I'm in as good as shape as I’ve ever been in."

Jones is back at the Western Bulldogs, back in the No.19 and back to finish what he started as a teenager in 2008.

15. Thanks bornadog, MrMahatma, F'scary, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading the Saints fans comments about Cordy is anyone overly concerned with the 3 year deal with Jones?

To me he has rocked up with a very professional mindset, he has formed a friendship with Lobb and they travel into the training sessions together plus he always seems to have a kick to kick and a chat with Arty Jones at the start of the sessions at Skinner reserve.

I get that given his age and the fact he missed a full season it may not be smooth sailing but the early signs are very positive from my perspective.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the Saints fans comments about Cordy is anyone overly concerned with the 3 year deal with Jones?

To me he has rocked up with a very professional mindset, he has formed a friendship with Lobb and they travel into the training sessions together plus he always seems to have a kick to kick and a chat with Arty Jones at the start of the sessions at Skinner reserve.

I get that given his age and the fact he missed a full season it may not be smooth sailing but the early signs are very positive from my perspective.
    Not from my end.

Players with FAR less ability get 2-3 year deals, and over the years we've been as guilty as any for handing out inflated contracts to players who weren't up to the level. We know what Jones brings, in a position of need, and he's a leader. I'm plenty fine with a 3-year deal.
    W00F!

18. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not worried about the three years because we spread his salary over the three. We were going to give him two years, but he wanted more money as I understand, so negotiations ended up with 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Was more concerned about not getting any compo from the AFEL makey upey.

Pretty happy with the nothing we got from the reports. Pretty clear winners as of today with Saints/AFEL.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hugely concerned.

For mine Jones is more athlete than footballer.

He has a poor tank and will need to spend most of his time in D50 as he will struggle to transition back.

If we don’t improve our defensive mindset all over the ground, Jones like our other defenders will struggle.

Having said all that, I’m ok taking the risk in recruiting him, and the 3rd year would’ve been needed to get him over the line.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

23. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Hugely concerned.

For mine Jones is more athlete than footballer.

He has a poor tank and will need to spend most of his time in D50 as he will struggle to transition back.

If we don’t improve our defensive mindset all over the ground, Jones like our other defenders will struggle.

Having said all that, I’m ok taking the risk in recruiting him, and the 3rd year would’ve been needed to get him over the line.
    Disagree with most of this. There is no need for Jones to leave defensive 50 and he's done a dozen preseasons his tank is fine for the role he'll play. He has elite decision making knowing when to help out as third man up and when he is well placed to intercept.

He was in the top handful of full backs in 2021 and having a year off to let his body recover will only add to his longevity I believe. He'll be way more effective than most think and will help us enormously. He's immediately our best key back.

Agree with you that we needed to offer 3 years. I don't really mind if that's that kind of deal we needed to put forward to entice him back. He was the best established key back that was available and I'm more than happy to pay him the 3 to get two good years out of him.

I spoke to him at Skinner a few weeks ago and he is feeling and looking a million bucks and has a huge appetite to make a difference.

25. Likes F'scary liked this post