Thread: LOL Aints

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LOL Aints

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    He posts on here.
    Tell me more Stevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Herald Sun footy analyst Mick McGuane has predicted new St Kilda coach Ross Lyon will remodel his trademark defence-first strategies into a far more attacking mode as AFL clubs look to replicate the style played by 2022 premiers Geelong.

McGuane has huge admiration for Lyon’s coaching nous, having taken St Kilda to Grand Finals in 2009 and 2010 and Fremantle in 2013.

But as successful as Lyon’s defensive style was a decade or more ago, McGuane says the veteran coach is smart enough to adapt to the new trend in AFL football, with a more run-and-gun style fuelling teams such as Geelong and preliminary finalists Collingwood in 2022.

McGuane said this year provided one of the most attractive brands of football in recent memory, and he expects more of the same next year.

“Knowing the copycat industry that AFL footy is in terms of coaching, we can expect teams to adopt the Collingwood style, which they adopted from Richmond,” McGuane said.

“And we saw Geelong go with faster ball movement with great success this year, so we will see teams wanting to adopt that more attractive, exciting factor in their games.

“It will be interesting to see if Ross (Lyon) aligns his psyche to that as well. He has always been so strong on defence and (his teams) have been hard to score against. But at times they have struggled to score (themselves).

“I am tipping Ross will be trying to score as much as he can, so we can expect a style change. It is going to be very interesting seeing how he adapts to the new trends in footy.”

Former Hawthorn champion Shane Crawford said Lyon would be the most intriguing character to watch in AFL football next season, along with North Melbourne’s new coach Alastair Clarkson and Essendon’s new coach in Brad Scott.

“I always remember playing against Ross Lyon teams and I found it really difficult because of the way he would block space so that you could never run directly towards goals,” Crawford said.

“He always made it very difficult for opposition teams.

“But he will have to make some changes. He will have to go that way (a more attacking brand) because at the end of the day, you have to score to win.

“That attacking brand has been used by a lot of the younger, newer coaches such as Craig McRae and Sammy Mitchell. That will definitely be a focus for Ross and St Kilda.”

Crawford said the AFL and the AFL Coaches’ Association needed to keep an eye on the welfare of senior coaches, saying it was a real area of concern given the scrutiny and pressure they are under now.

“Brett Ratten put everything into it and did a good job, but still lost his job. Coaches are under more pressure than ever these days,” Crawford said.

“We just need to make sure they are all getting the right support at all times. ”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Who is Mick McGuane and why do they keep digging him up once a year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Who is Mick McGuane and why do they keep digging him up once a year
    He's a decent analyst.
    It will be interesting to see if Lyon can reinvent himself as a more attacking or balanced coach but I suspect he can.
    The Saints will be one of the teams to watch early on as they are really overhauling their footy department.
    Their list is average so they'll have to over perform.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's a decent analyst.
    It will be interesting to see if Lyon can reinvent himself as a more attacking or balanced coach but I suspect he can.
    The Saints will be one of the teams to watch early on as they are really overhauling their footy department.
    Their list is average so they'll have to over perform.
    He's an "analyst" I'll go that far with you

Yes will be very interesting. Lyon playing defensive is a no brainer, that's his m.o., as you say though you have to have the cattle.

What I'll be most interested in is how he deals with the insanity of the stand rule, the kick in rule and the 666. Are we getting last touch out of bounds too? Defensive coaches are being undermined at every turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Former Hawthorn champion Shane Crawford
    I assume Woofers are fascinated by Shane Crawford's post footy career

Here is your latest update:

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat review – a joyous, daggy night out

The only disappointment, well telegraphed by the controversy of his casting, is ex-AFL footballer Shane Crawford. In fact, disappointment doesn’t begin to cover it. In a production where every performer is at the top of their game, Crawford’s blundering, tone-deaf turn as the Pharaoh is crushingly bad. Utterly devoid of stage presence, incapable of delivering a single line with flair or conviction, his addition to the production reads like a giant insult. Things should improve markedly when Trevor Ashley takes over the role in December.
    Otherwise I heard he was pretty good...
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

7. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only disappointment, well telegraphed by the controversy of his casting, is ex-AFL footballer Shane Crawford. In fact, disappointment doesn’t begin to cover it. In a production where every performer is at the top of their game, Crawford’s blundering, tone-deaf turn as the Pharaoh is crushingly bad. Utterly devoid of stage presence, incapable of delivering a single line with flair or conviction, his addition to the production reads like a giant insult. Things should improve markedly when Trevor Ashley takes over the role in December.
    I saw a bit of his performance the other night on TV. Godawful is the best word I can think of to describe it, and that's being kind. He's very brave getting up in front of audiences and going through whatever it is he's trying to do
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

From the Age. A bit of set-back for them.

Star St Kilda forward Max King is set to undergo a left shoulder reconstruction after a training incident that will significantly delay his season next year.

The 22-year-old suffered the injury in a marking contest at training on Monday, with subsequent scans confirming the severity.

King will visit a surgeon on Tuesday and is expected to undergo an operation within days in a hammer blow to coach Ross Lyon’s hopes of making an instant impression.

King played every game last season and kicked a career-high 52 goals to establish himself as arguably the club’s most important player.

The Saints’ new executive general manager of football, Geoff Walsh, said King’s setback was “extremely disappointing”.

“He had come back for pre-season in really great condition, which is a credit to his professionalism; a trait we know will stand him in good stead as he works through his rehab over the next few months,” Walsh said.

“The recovery and rehabilitation period for this injury will be a number of months.

“We will provide updates as he progresses through his rehab program – suffice to say his return to play will not be until the season is well underway.”

The Saints were not active in the trade period, with the free agency addition of ex-Western Bulldogs swingman Zaine Cordy the exception as they focused on the draft.

Undersized target Tim Membrey (34 goals) and Jack Higgins (30) were St Kilda’s top scoring options behind King and suddenly have much more responsibility.

Cordy, too, may need to be unleashed predominantly as a forward, unless Lyon chooses to send Dougal Howard or Josh Battle into attack again.

Cooper Sharman and Mason Wood, who spent most of his time this year on a wing, are other options, while ruckman Rowan Marshall is also a capable forward.

Post Thanks / Like

You pray this kind of thing doesn't happen in pre season training in particular. I still remember when Luke Darcy went down just before just before Christmas.

Good luck to new saints spearhead Zaine Cordy.

11. Likes Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How unprofessional. If Phillipou was there earlier his professionalism would rubbed off on King earlier and these unprofessional training incidents wouldn’t happen.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

From the Age. A bit of set-back for them.

Star St Kilda forward Max King is set to undergo a left shoulder reconstruction after a training incident that will significantly delay his season next year.

The 22-year-old suffered the injury in a marking contest at training on Monday, with subsequent scans confirming the severity.

King will visit a surgeon on Tuesday and is expected to undergo an operation within days in a hammer blow to coach Ross Lyon’s hopes of making an instant impression.

King played every game last season and kicked a career-high 52 goals to establish himself as arguably the club’s most important player.

The Saints’ new executive general manager of football, Geoff Walsh, said King’s setback was “extremely disappointing”.

“He had come back for pre-season in really great condition, which is a credit to his professionalism; a trait we know will stand him in good stead as he works through his rehab over the next few months,” Walsh said.

“The recovery and rehabilitation period for this injury will be a number of months.

“We will provide updates as he progresses through his rehab program – suffice to say his return to play will not be until the season is well underway.”

The Saints were not active in the trade period, with the free agency addition of ex-Western Bulldogs swingman Zaine Cordy the exception as they focused on the draft.

Undersized target Tim Membrey (34 goals) and Jack Higgins (30) were St Kilda’s top scoring options behind King and suddenly have much more responsibility.

Cordy, too, may need to be unleashed predominantly as a forward, unless Lyon chooses to send Dougal Howard or Josh Battle into attack again.

Cooper Sharman and Mason Wood, who spent most of his time this year on a wing, are other options, while ruckman Rowan Marshall is also a capable forward.
    He'd make a better Mario than Chris Pratt. Itsa ME!

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine if he injured it because Zaine went full throttle in a contest at training.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant believe they are already talking about unleashing Cordy as a forward.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Cant believe they are already talking about unleashing Cordy as a forward.
    It might sound stupid but he's the perfect guy to play with his elbow in the back of Steven May/Allir etc. Liam Jones even. I can't see how he impacts either as a defender or as a leading forward...we've all heard that song before.

I wish Zaine nothing but the best - he was a good servant for us.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It might sound stupid but he's the perfect guy to play with his elbow in the back of Steven May/Allir etc. Liam Jones even. I can't see how he impacts either as a defender or as a leading forward...we've all heard that song before.

I wish Zaine nothing but the best - he was a good servant for us.
    Yeah I agree on a case by case basis I think he's fine there, but things are looking pretty dire if you are talking about it in early December.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right