Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  139
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mitch Wallis

Thanks for being a great footballer, a beacon of positivity and the ultimate role model

Our club is better for having had you as part of it

Hope every one of your next steps is successful

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thanks Mitch Wallis

Bulldogs farewell Wallis

The Western Bulldogs have today farewelled heart and soul veteran Mitch Wallis after 12 seasons in the red, white and blue.

The popular Bulldog arrived at VU Whitten Oval in 2011, drafted with pick 22 as a father-son selection in the 2010 National Draft.

Making his debut early in 2011, Wallis became a staple of the Bulldogs’ midfield, consistently giving his all and playing selfless team football throughout his journey at the Kennel.

A professional on and off the field, Wallis found his career-best form in 2015, averaging 24 touches per game and kicking 15 goals, before settling into the forward line in the latter part of his career.

The move forward saw him prosper in 2020, kicking 25 goals to be the club’s leading goalkicker, before being name vice-captain of the side in 2021.

Wallis’ leadership qualities have been on show since the moment the 29-year-old walked through the door, guiding many of the young players during the formative years of their careers.

In total, Wallis played 162 games for the Bulldogs and kicked 109 goals.

“I’ve just got so much gratitude towards the Western Bulldogs Football Club,” Wallis said.

“Playing for the red, white and blue was a childhood dream and this club has been my second home for more than a decade.

“Despite the disappointment of finishing at the Bulldogs, I will weigh up what comes next for me over the coming weeks.

“I wouldn’t be the person I am today without the support of many people at the Bulldogs and their guidance, particularly over the past 12 months, and it’s something I will always cherish.

“I’ve got so many wonderful memories and friendships that I take with me, and I will be forever grateful to run out onto Marvel Stadium in front of the amazing Bulldogs fans.”

Senior Coach Luke Beveridge lauded the career of Wallis and the contribution he has made to the Club.

“Mitch has been a highly respected and professional Bulldogs person from the day he arrived. He has poured his heart and soul into his football,” Beveridge said.

“He has been a committed and supportive club man and an influential leader, having experienced the honour of being vice-captain.

“Unfortunately, he has been held back with injury at times, which has hindered his continuity and ability to influence on the field.

“Mitch has forged intimate bonds with all at our Club. We look forward to continuing our strong relationship with him whatever comes next.

“I would like to thank Mitch personally for being a great support for everyone at the Club, and we wish him, Emily, Charlotte and William all the best for the future.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks angelopetraglia, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shame, I thought he was a great leader and bled red, white and blue. I hope he gets picked up elsewhere. Thanks Mitch for your loyalty.

5. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, Grantysghost, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad news, hope to see him at the club in some capacity next season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hear hear.

Absolutely loved Wal. Always carried himself as a true pro. Great ambassador for the club always (having seen him at Auskick & kids clinics). And although I could understand reasons why he didn't play in the seniors at times, personally I always liked seeing him in the team, knowing what you'd get in a contest. Really didn't miss that many games before he broke his leg, so maybe a bit of what might have been. But seemingly without complaint, reinvented himself.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame. His injury in 2016 really did prove to hobble his him from reaching his full potential on field. He always carried himself with such professionalism and dignity and if not for injury I suspect he would've been a more influential figure in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he was shopped around during the trade period and didn't get any bites.

All the best Mitch, a great career at the Dogs and a great Bulldogs person.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the best to Mitch. So unlucky to have not played in the 2016 premiership team. As Ozza said, that broken leg really held him back in subsequent years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he’s not lost to the club. His career was chopped and changed about what was best for the team and what different coaches wanted. A professional team first man to the end. He honoured the #3. Such a shame that horrific broken leg cost him the chance to win a flag. May there be a third Wallis generation playing for us down the track. Thanks Mitch.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes Eastdog, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Understandable but still shattered by this.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes Grantysghost, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    What a shame, I thought he was a great leader and bled red, white and blue. I hope he gets picked up elsewhere. Thanks Mitch for your loyalty.
    Great to have you back, Cinder.
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Thanks cinder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A real heart and soul type guy who seemed a genuinely nice human being. Gave his all, went through some horrific injury luck and last year a horrendous family tragedy. It was time, but he's the kind of guy that is hard to let go of.

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best wishes to Mitch. A truly great Bulldog who gave his all.

I hope he remains at the club. Seems a natural for coaching and development.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Deep down I know this is the right decision, but I'm still so sad to see the call finally made. Great person and as others have said never really recovered from that horrific broken leg. A brief resurrection as a small marking forward in 2020 when we really bereft of other options, but unfortunately just doesn't have enough tricks or pace to have a real impact as a small forward in our current line up.

24. Likes josie, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Wallis Instagram. All class as you would expect.

Its with a fair amount of sadness that my journey with Western Bulldogs has come to its end.
    It is the people at this club and our supporters that sets the Western Bulldogs apart from all other organisations.
    Thanks to everyone that invested time, emotion and energy in making me a better person and player. Although not always easy, the memories and experiences over the past 12 years at the club have helped define me as a person.
    I’m a passionate being and ill never stop caring and investing time into the people who have always had my back and believed in me.
    Playing AFL for the bulldogs has given me so much happiness but also a hell of a lot perspective on what are the most important things my in life. My family has always been my greatest ever achievement, my purpose and the canvas for my biggest joys in life.

Finally, I love this place and am looking forward to seeing the club fight it’s way back to the top.

Up the dogs! @westernbulldogs

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjynbd5hzLH/?hl=en