Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  139
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thanks Mitch Wallis

Considering the average AFL footballer plays just 60 games, Mitch had a great run.
    Forever loved.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

An honourary bullgod. Very few players leave the club with so many best wishes.

If it's what he wants them I really hope that Wally finds himself on an AFL list next year. I think he still has some petrol left in the tank
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Mitch Wallis Instagram. All class as you would expect.

Its with a fair amount of sadness that my journey with Western Bulldogs has come to its end.
    It is the people at this club and our supporters that sets the Western Bulldogs apart from all other organisations.
    Thanks to everyone that invested time, emotion and energy in making me a better person and player. Although not always easy, the memories and experiences over the past 12 years at the club have helped define me as a person.
    I’m a passionate being and ill never stop caring and investing time into the people who have always had my back and believed in me.
    Playing AFL for the bulldogs has given me so much happiness but also a hell of a lot perspective on what are the most important things my in life. My family has always been my greatest ever achievement, my purpose and the canvas for my biggest joys in life.

Finally, I love this place and am looking forward to seeing the club fight it’s way back to the top.

Up the dogs! @westernbulldogs

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjynbd5hzLH/?hl=en
    Goddamn stupid, sexy Mitch Wallis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Considering the average AFL footballer plays just 60 games, Mitch had a great run.
    Forever loved.
    Welcome back, Doug.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Fine player and champion person. I really hope there is a future role for him at the Club because people of his stamp have a lot to offer others.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Likes Eastdog, Max469, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Great to have you back, Cinder.
    Many thanks EW! I've been lurking here and there

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks angelopetraglia, Smads57, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Max469, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Many thanks EW! I've been lurking here and there
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the career that you've had with us and the professionalism & passion that you've shown.

Understand he'll try his luck at another AFL club, but I would love for him to be captain of Footscray in 2023.

13. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Had a feeling this was coming, but still a sad moment. Always gave his heart and soul, thoroughly professional, and was always polite and patient every time my husband accosted him off the field (though he did back away slowly down his driveway one time...)
    One of my favourites, all the best with whatever comes next, Mitch.
    That's close to stalking Murph..

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WALLIS LEFT “A LITTLE BIT BITTER” BY NATURE OF DELISTING, WILL GO ANYWHERE TO CONTINUE AFL DREAM

Delisted Bulldog Mitch Wallis is keen to continue his AFL career after being left a “little bit bitter” by the club’s decision to move him on.

The Western Bulldogs announced Wallis would not be offered a new contract on Monday morning, farewelling the 29-year-old after 12 seasons and 162 games.

Wallis was the club’s vice-captain in 2021 and was one of the Dogs’ best players through a period that saw the club claim the 2016 premiership, despite the midfielder missing with a broken leg.

But after spending most of the past two seasons out of the best 22, Wallis was disappointed his time at Whitten Oval ended as it has.

“You could call it a surprise. There wasn’t a contract per se on the table but more of a wait-and-see type approach,” he told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I’m an optimistic person so I thought it would happen. The club’s had a fair bit of movement this off-season. I was hoping to stay on because I’ve still got a fair bit of fire in the belly, the last few seasons haven’t really played in my favour with injuries and the like.

“It didn’t fall my way but in saying that, I’m obviously very grateful for the time. 12 years is a long time at one club and the game so I can’t be more grateful for the opportunities I was given there.

“But it ends abruptly… you sever ties quite quickly and probably the only regret is I didn’t get to do it in front of my teammates and some of the staff members who have been so important to my journey and invested a lot of time, energy and emotions into me.

“To sort of be on holidays and have to make the call is something that leaves me a little bit bitter but at the end of the day it’s a ruthless industry and I look forward.”

Wallis admitted that one of the great mysteries of his career is why he spent the prime of his footy years out of Luke Beveridge’s 22.

After being elevated to Marcus Bontempelli’s deputy, Wallis played six games in 2021 before five in 2022.

It came after he reinvented himself as a forward in 2020, but has consistently found himself out of the midfield and forward mix.

When asked why he’s been left out of the team in recent years, Wallis replied: “good question.

“It’s one of those things I’ll never fully understand and I’ll grapple with it… as long as I think about footy.

“Obviously would have loved a little bit more opportunity to play and show my worth, but that’s just the way the match committee and Luke went.

“He’s the senior coach, he’s in control and he makes decisions at the end of the day that you have to live with.

“I was never going to fight it, but I just wanted to do everything and train as hard as I could to prove I was worthy of a game.

“I only played a handful of games this year but I felt like I turned it around a little bit before I got injured, unfortunately, but that’s footy.”

Nevertheless, Wallis is keen to continue his AFL career.

He’s completely recovered from foot surgery in June this year and added he was prepared to move anywhere to keep the dream alive.

“It’s still pretty raw, I haven’t totally moved on from the Bulldogs yet... we’ll explore (the interest) over the coming weeks and see what’s out there,” the ex-Bulldog offered.

“I’m keen to keep playing but at the end of the day, we’ll let the dust settle and acknowledge a club that’s been so kind to me and take the next step in due course.

“I love footy… I’m open to all offers and all ideas, but it’s only been a few hours and a few days that I’ve come to terms with not playing in the red, white and blue.”

The Bulldogs also delisted Louis Butler and Charlie Parker later on Monday morning.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/...o-anywhere-to/

17. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Wallis really is in the dark or if it's just not good to say out loud when you're looking for job somewhere else?

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes Topdog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t like to think he was left in the dark, if true. In the “face-to-face” interview with Jonno, he expressed confidence that talks had been positive, and that he would get another year.

What might have been but for that horrific broken leg. It’s another reason to feel great disappointment that the young 2016 group fragmented and that heart and soul players such as Wal didn’t ever get that opportunity.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mitch. Absolute clubman and champion bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I don’t like to think he was left in the dark, if true. In the “face-to-face” interview with Jonno, he expressed confidence that talks had been positive, and that he would get another year.

What might have been but for that horrific broken leg. It’s another reason to feel great disappointment that the young 2016 group fragmented and that heart and soul players such as Wal didn’t ever get that opportunity.
    I get the sentiment trag but I honestly believe we've given him longer than most would get because of the person he is.

I recall a game in Cairns and I was in a section with Steve.

It was free drinks, and he came to an intersection with me and I stopped and bowed and said "bulldog royalty first"....

He scoffed at me as you'd expect in a humble way and we had a good laugh.

I spoke to him a few times during the night and it made me realise how lucky we are to have the Wallis family associated with our club.

It was the night Jake kicked a massive goal and celebrated towards our section (I'll try and find it).

Go to 3 mins 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/VEB0tSkwBns?t=190

I think what I'm trying to say is we've looked after Mitch for sure.

24. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post