Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wings in 2023

There’s a bit of talk on who plays wing across various threads, and thought it easier to have it one thread.

Names across threads have been playing JJ, Daniel, VDM, Williams and Scott on the wing (or a DFA). I’m adding a name.

Now I’m trying to piece the season from the stats on top of what I saw in 2022. The question I have is what is Bailey Dale’s tank like? He’s got defensive skills and attacking skills for a winger. While playing off the HBF he’s kicked 16.3 (roughly 80% accurate) a lot of them on the run from 50m. Plus good for about .3 Goal Assists per game.

Now if he’s played further up the ground and gets more looks per game from 50m while 80% accurate is a nice attacking option for even an average of 1.5 shots per game. The easy shots Hunter traditionally missed (while kicking the hard ones) are as good as all goals in Dale’s hands.

Assuming the back 6 is (moving Dale):

B: Richards Bruce Keath/Gardner
    HB: Daniel Jones Williams/Duryea

1. Does Dale have the tank to play wing?
    2. If so, can the backline function as well without Dale?
    3. If so, is his experience at both ends an advantage to posting him one wing?
    4. If so, does that improve I50 entries?
    5. If so, is his exceptional long range goaling and possibly 20 or so goals a season worth moving him again? Even if he averages 1.5 shots a game.

Edit: Just read an interview with Dale re his preseason before his breakout year down back. He said he trained with Hunter to improve his fitness.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Wings in 2023

Article, 28 January 2021, club website:

Over the past couple of seasons, Bailey Dale has threatened to establish himself as a key member of the Western Bulldogs side.

The 24-year-old has the skills to be a match-winner – as his 20 goals in six games at the back-end of 2019 proved to the football world.

With 59 games across six seasons at AFL level, at times Dale has been restricted by injuries and at times he’s battled for continuity in the senior side.

2020 was that sort of year. He played the first seven games before being sidelined with an ankle niggle, came back for two games but was forced out of the best 22 by season’s end.

But a big pre-season and some clear off-season focus areas have the agile goal-kicker primed to make 2021 his year.

“It’s been a different off-season for a lot of people, including myself,” Dale told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I stayed at home and I’ve been working on the things I needed to work on at the end of last year. There’s a few things I’ve tried to really nail in the off-season.

“I was training with Ben Cavarra and Lachie Hunter for a lot of the off-season which was great. ‘Hunts’ is a pretty good runner, so training with him really helped me work on my fitness.”

The extra kilometres in the legs will – hopefully – give Dale the flexibility to play forward or push onto a wing.

He’s spent time across both roles already in his six years as a Bulldog.

“One of the big things at the end of the year was just getting my fitness back up to a level where I can try to push onto a wing as well and run hard both ways,” Dale said.

“We’ve got a few boys rolling through there at the moment, but that wing-forward role to be able to get up the ground, impact defensively and try to get on the end of a few and involved in the play is what I’ve worked on.

“Then it’s getting the ball in my hands and finishing off my work when I get the chance.

“I’m trying to add those strings to my bow, be as versatile as possible and try to have a good year.”

Off the field, some things have changed for Dale while some have stayed the same.

A year in the hub helped him strengthen relationships with his teammates – and he’s already built a connection with draftee Lachie McNeil, hosting him when he first moved across from South Australia.

He may also be one of good mate Toby McLean’s remaining barber shop customers post hub-life.

“Toby gave me a few haircuts in the hub which weren’t too bad,” Dale said.

“I’ve still got Tobes, he lives around the corner and I think he enjoys doing it.

“He got a lot of the boys up there and made a bit of a killing. He’s lost a few customers since we’ve been back in Melbourne though.”
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't move Dale at all. He is an AA HBF and plays the role well. I wouldn't want to change that role and maybe upset the backline.

I am also not convinced with Williams anymore. He played very poorly in 2022 as a HBF and improved slightly when he was moved to the wing. Wings are a real dilemma at the moment.

Excellent thread to thrash out who should play wing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Mofra, Swoop, EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    There’s a bit of talk on who plays wing across various threads, and thought it easier to have it one thread.

Names across threads have been playing JJ, Daniel, VDM, Williams and Scott on the wing (or a DFA). I’m adding a name.

Now I’m trying to piece the season from the stats on top of what I saw in 2022. The question I have is what is Bailey Dale’s tank like? He’s got defensive skills and attacking skills for a winger. While playing off the HBF he’s kicked 16.3 (roughly 80% accurate) a lot of them on the run from 50m. Plus good for about .3 Goal Assists per game.

Now if he’s played further up the ground and gets more looks per game from 50m while 80% accurate is a nice attacking option for even an average of 1.5 shots per game. The easy shots Hunter traditionally missed (while kicking the hard ones) are as good as all goals in Dale’s hands.

Assuming the back 6 is (moving Dale):

B: Richards Bruce Keath/Gardner
    HB: Daniel Jones Williams/Duryea

1. Does Dale have the tank to play wing?
    2. If so, can the backline function as well without Dale?
    3. If so, is his experience at both ends an advantage to posting him one wing?
    4. If so, does that improve I50 entries?
    5. If so, is his exceptional long range goaling and possibly 20 or so goals a season worth moving him again? Even if he averages 1.5 shots a game.
    Dale is possibly the most versatile player we have on the list. He did very well as a forward and has done sensationally well as an attacking defender with the one caveat that he does not appear to be able to defend as well as we would hope.

I'm not sure we will be bold enough to make the move but I'm sure Dale would be turned into a very good winger for us. He might even slot in a few extra goals across the season. Food for thought BT.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I would not go with Caleb Daniel as I think size/leap can be important as a hit up. More 1:1 marking contests than HBF.

I would like us to have a go with Dale with Scott being more defensive on the other side. I get it's a risk and we would want him to go really well. Maybe opens up a spot on HBF.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it depends partially on who we draft now? If we get a ready to go livewire small forward maybe Laitham/JJ need to work more on being wingmen as there's less opportunity up forward. If we don't find that forward they probably both stay where they are.

For me Scott is probably penciled in on one wing which leaves one opening. Dale is good backman so maybe if Dureya is injured and Williams is in poor form we can't afford to try him elsewhere. Who does that leave if JJ/Laitham train as forwards? Williams or Roarke?

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar would make a decent winger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I would not go with Caleb Daniel as I think size/leap can be important as a hit up. More 1:1 marking contests than HBF.

I would like us to have a go with Dale with Scott being more defensive on the other side. I get it's a risk and we would want him to go really well. Maybe opens up a spot on HBF.
    It notionally does at a minimum. Could it be the opportunity to dangle in front of JJ, VDM & Crozier (did I read in a thread that Hannan was thrown back as well?) to work their hind quarters off over summer, to (re)discover their best footy to try revive their careers as natural back flankers? You’d think it would be a great motivator knowing Dale to wing means there’s a genuine shot at trying to cement a more natural role. From there who knows what happens. I don’t think anyone quite saw Daniel & Dale back would be as effective as it turned out. So who knows now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. He's very see ball, get ball and just wouldn't be able to hold his width for the entire game the way a quality wing does. Ditto Macrae.

I suspect we won't know until the end of pre-season, but Bailey Williams and Anthony Scott may be the first two cabs off the rank. Roarke Smith next in line, with McNeill still a young developing kid who may get some pre-season time there to show what he can do (he did spend some outside mid minutes in the SANFL).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes EasternWest, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. He's very see ball, get ball and just wouldn't be able to hold his width for the entire game the way a quality wing does. Ditto Macrae.

I suspect we won't know until the end of pre-season, but Bailey Williams and Anthony Scott may be the first two cabs off the rank. Roarke Smith next in line, with McNeill still a young developing kid who may get some pre-season time there to show what he can do (he did spend some outside mid minutes in the SANFL).
    Don't apologise.

I disagree with your disagreement!

I think he would have the discipline to play the role. He's certainly got the physical attributes.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 19-10-2022 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

I actually think you both make good points.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Did we try him there early 21 or was that just Baz?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure who the 2023 Wings should be but I would like to see a Rocket Science Photoshop special with all the candidates included in this 1973 Band on the Run album cover.

17. Likes bornadog, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about VDM. If not injured. The other would have to be Adz
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I actually think you both make good points.
    I didn't know the Flemington racecourse wall could post on woof.