Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Wings in 2023

Have seen Oliver Hollands matched with our club in a few phantom drafts. So thinking ahead he could be a long shot for a wing.Looking for info from others who have seen him play.

Pick 12 - Bulldogs: Oliver Hollands
    Position: Midfielder
    Height: 183cm
    Weight: 71kg
    Clubs: Wodonga, Murray Bushrangers

The younger brother of Gold Coast onballer Elijah, Ollie ranks as one of the most competitive outside midfield options in the draft.

Hollands is sure to be strongly considered by Carlton at Pick 11, but in the chance he slides, the Dogs will be waiting.

The Bulldogs have their key-position depths sewn up for some time, so their attention is sure to turn back toward their midfield.

The recent losses of Josh Dunkley and Lachie Hunter have opened gaps in Luke Beveridge's midfield group, with Hollands able to take the reins in a wing spot to allow Bailey Smith more freedom in the centre.

Hollands has been a standout for the Bushrangers in his time at NAB League level, while was named among Vic Country's best in three of their five matches this year.

An elite endurance athlete and promising mover of the Sherrin, the Dogs are sure to look keen on adding some more efficiency to their engine room.

https://www.zerohanger.com/2022-afl-...dition-128946/

2. Likes Swoop, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see him as most likely taking his game to a wing at AFL level. He would be an excellent long term replacement for Hunter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    What about VDM. If not injured. The other would have to be Adz
    I thought we just finished shit-canning VDM on another thread.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to finish Dale as a weapon up the ground. Of his last 29 shots at goal in the last 3 years, he’s kicked 23.6. That’s goal kicking accuracy of 79.3%

The most accurate ever goal kicker, Michael Murphy, is 76.83%. Then Tory Dickson is 74.79%.

He is literally off the charts with his goal kicking accuracy. Getting more shots at goal is a potential new source to increase scoreboard return.

P.S. Cody Weightman is already the fourth most accurate player in VFL/AFEL History (73.03%).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks josie, Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Just to finish Dale as a weapon up the ground. Of his last 29 shots at goal in the last 3 years, he’s kicked 23.6. That’s goal kicking accuracy of 79.3%

The most accurate ever goal kicker, Michael Murphy, is 76.83%. Then Tory Dickson is 74.79%.

He is literally off the charts with his goal kicking accuracy. Getting more shots at goal is a potential new source to increase scoreboard return.

P.S. Cody Weightman is already the fourth most accurate player in VFL/AFEL History (73.03%).
    Before Dale was moved from the forward line to the backline, he was inconsistent and played some shocking games. He has been a revelation in the backline, and maybe that has improved him enough to be moved.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Before Dale was moved from the forward line to the backline, he was inconsistent and played some shocking games. He has been a revelation in the backline, and maybe that has improved him enough to be moved.
    He was de list worthy a few years ago. Really not physical enough as a forward.
    Have to say I'm really surprised he's done so well.
    He does have an elite trait, kicking... You need something an an AFL player and he's got that.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I’m wrestling with the wings. Moving the chess pieces in my head. The depth of quality wingers is low. If Dale can play wing well, with years of forward training and now years of defensive training. If he can offer a more offensive type of winger that’s a point of difference in his column, makes opponents have to plan for his ability to hit the scoreboard and there’s plenty of depth on the HBF.

But if he can’t be covered well enough, he stays down back. I wouldn’t move him forward as he was, but look at if he can do what he’s doing off the wing with that incredible goal kicking accuracy. If his tank has increased as he was saying in the article/interview it’s food for thought but only if we can cover him down back.

Assuming for four small/mid sized defenders. Can Daniel, Richards, Duryea, Williams, JJ, Crozier, VDM, O’Brien, Khamis, etc. provide enough that the net gain (at this point theoretical) for the side is of a good benefit?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

When's the last time we had a dangerous speedy winger in the team? Eagle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

It's one of the best indications of trying to get him up the ground. He was a very effective forward and then turned into an AA level defender. I think he could make the move to a wing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing an article on Williams in the middle of 2021 where he credited his (unbelievable) form to a massive preseason. His agility, disposal, decision make were absolutely elite year round - I thought he was better than Dale that year personally - though not in as obvious a way.

Would love the club to have sat him down and said “the plan for you next year is a two way running wingman” and he has another huge offseason. He is a match winner IMO at his best form

I also fundamentally disagree Hunter and Dunkley leave a hole in our team. Too many “premium mids” not enough quality elsewhere got us nowhere

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I remember seeing an article on Williams in the middle of 2021 where he credited his (unbelievable) form to a massive preseason. His agility, disposal, decision make were absolutely elite year round - I thought he was better than Dale that year personally - though not in as obvious a way.

Would love the club to have sat him down and said “the plan for you next year is a two way running wingman” and he has another huge offseason. He is a match winner IMO at his best form

I also fundamentally disagree Hunter and Dunkley leave a hole in our team. Too many “premium mids” not enough quality elsewhere got us nowhere
    Hunter leaves a hole. It's just that he left it there before leaving the club.

16. Likes Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Dunkley is the best defensive midfielder in the AFL (the stats back it up). His is absolutely a massive loss
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Dunkley is the best defensive midfielder in the AFL (the stats back it up). His is absolutely a massive loss
    Good as he is at it the general consensus would be that our defense as a mid unit is probably one of the worst in the league even before he left. I think this is one of those areas where we need buy in from all players and individual ability matters less than the overall team effort

19. Likes Mofra, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind seeing Crozier handed the challenge leading into pre-season.

He's great in the air, he's a strong and powerful kick, he runs both ways and isn't afraid to dash with the footy. His footy needs a refresh and hopefully challenging him to improve his running and making that position his own would give him a new lease on the game.

I think Bailey Dale is a great shout too. We're pretty stocked with good half backs and, on paper, he's perfect for the role.

Post Thanks / Like

Mail suggests that at this stage we are planning pre-season to go with Williams and R.Smith. That’s come from someone in the playing group based on exit interviews. Not sure who else we are looking at using.

22. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, hujsh thanked for this post