Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have they got the balance right?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    What about an alternate take?

- Talented list
    - Made GF last year
    - We care for our players so gave Hunter so much support
    - Strong leadership was shown when he didn’t live up to his side, and when Dunkley also had to go.
    - Strong leadership was shown 2 years ago when Dunks was (reportedly) offered $800k per year by Essington (IE: maybe he just wanted to get big bucks… not “wanted out”?)
    - We had a down year but have addressed, at least to some degree, our structural issues
    - Who could’ve predicted Keath would play like a 60yr old this season?
    - Bont was inured since Rd 1

I think the questions need to be asked but last I heard this group aren’t punching each other at the restaurant. Or are they? I don’t hear rumours apart from mainstream media and to be honest, most of the “rumours” sound a bit “meh”.

Do we have enough “mongrel” and “never say die” in the squad? Dunno. I reckon you put Morris and M Boyd into our squad and you don’t catch us for a few years. We aren’t far off.
    Some positivity, I like it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have enough “mongrel” and “never say die” in the squad? Dunno. I reckon you put Morris and M Boyd into our squad and you don’t catch us for a few years. We aren’t far off.
    Rhylee West - there's one.
    Surely he knows we need a defensive mid in our centre square rotation roster now, and he's the most likely to take those minutes?
    He attacks the body & the ball with intent.
    It's innate, you either have it or you don't. To me he projects as a Jack Viney type player and you take the flaws with the good with those types.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Dogs 24/7, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given both players form in 2022 we need to ensure they are going to be in our best 22 before looking to place them as official leaders.

We made the mistake with Wallis and it would be silly to go down that path again.
    Yes good point Mantis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Some positivity, I like it
    Given the changes in the off-season, the issue now is mental toughness. Too many times the side went missing in games, with the defensive side lacking. This is a matter work-rate and has to be resolved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The big question for me is - The Bont. I love him and think he's one of the greatest to pull on the jumper but he is our captain and on field leadership needs to go through him. He's far and away our best player but does that make him a good and strong leader?

I'm not for one second questioning his leadership. I'd have no idea. He obviously commands respect but he does seem a quiet type out on the field. Does he have it in him to command the troops? I think he's certainly capable of it but has he up to this point?
    I think he is very good. He's not the most overt on the field but off it seems to be quite a commanding presence (and on it with his actions).

Personally I don't doubt Marcus, but I get where the question comes from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given both players form in 2022 we need to ensure they are going to be in our best 22 before looking to place them as official leaders.

We made the mistake with Wallis and it would be silly to go down that path again.
    Whilst I agree with your first point, I'm not sure how we made the mistake with Wally. Yes he was not on-field, but his off-field leadership was spoken about quite frequently by the playing group.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Whilst I agree with your first point, I'm not sure how we made the mistake with Wally. Yes he was not on-field, but his off-field leadership was spoken about quite frequently by the playing group.
    Yeah...but how does that help you half way through a grand final when Melbourne turn a 3-goal deficit into a 2 goal lead and the season is on the line? Leaders need to PLAY!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- Talented list
    - Made GF last year
    - Strong leadership was shown when he didn’t live up to his side, and when Dunkley also had to go.
    - Strong leadership was shown 2 years ago when Dunks was (reportedly) offered $800k per year by Essington (IE: maybe he just wanted to get big bucks… not “wanted out”?)
    - We had a down year but have addressed, at least to some degree, our structural issues

I think the questions need to be asked but last I heard this group aren’t punching each other at the restaurant. Or are they? I don’t hear rumours apart from mainstream media and to be honest, most of the “rumours” sound a bit “meh”.

Love this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The 'professionalism' smoke has been blowing pretty darn hot since the 2020 hub shenanigans. I think some of us have heard a lot of troubling things.

That Dunkley walked and Hunter was shoved out, under contract, for peanuts (and with us kicking in some of his contract apparently) speaks volumes.
    I was hoping Dunks would have captained the club but not to be.

You are spot on Mofra about the issues about professionalism. Hopefully the move they made with Hunter is a wake up call for others but then again you would have thought the same when Stringer/Dahl were moved on.

It is a problem when one person has so much say within the club.

12. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There's fire, however if Hunter has been through what I think he has I don't blame him for one second.

Maybe it got big on him the stress, but you would hope Dunks understands things aren't black and white.

I'm leaning towards it being an excuse for wanting to push #brandhotpocket
    Maybe it got to the stage where the player didn't learn from his first and second and third mistake and it kept happening. Dunks decided enough is enough.

14. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- Talented list
    - Made GF last year

I would add Liam Picken to Morris and M Boyd, all fine on field leaders including also Easton Wood, which is now lacking.

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Maybe it got to the stage where the player didn't learn from his first and second and third mistake and it kept happening. Dunks decided enough is enough.
    Dunks decided he wanted to be number one and is jealous of Bont on $1 million and Adz on $900k - make no mistake. The non-professional stuff happens at every club. Hunter had issues for sure.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I would add Liam Picken to Morris and M Boyd, all fine on field leaders including also Easton Wood, which is now lacking.
    Bumped into Morris in a pet shop in Nth Brisbane (Stafford) yesterday. Had a brief chat. Did the fanboy thing and got a selfie. Great guy. Looks to have relocated permanently up here.

20. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dunks decided he wanted to be number one and is jealous of Bont on $1 million and Adz on $900k - make no mistake. The non-professional stuff happens at every club. Hunter had issues for sure.
    Agree.

Dunks is saying everything other than Cash as a reason for leaving. The fact the club removed Hunter was not enough for Dunks to change his mind tells you it is BS.

The fact Dunks is happy to move to a Club where he does not know who the coach is and/or does not care enough says a fair bit too.

Who knows, maybe he'll get a personal endorsement deal from Hancock Prospecting, given the recent days events?!?!

22. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post