Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have they got the balance right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The 'professionalism' smoke has been blowing pretty darn hot since the 2020 hub shenanigans. I think some of us have heard a lot of troubling things.

That Dunkley walked and Hunter was shoved out, under contract, for peanuts (and with us kicking in some of his contract apparently) speaks volumes.
    As I mentioned in the Dunkley thread, his Uncle tweeted to me that Hunter was the issue and it was about time he was gone. He has since deleted.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As I mentioned in the Dunkley thread, his Uncle tweeted to me that Hunter was the issue and it was about time he was gone. He has since deleted.
    Uncle Dave. Most likely reading the Dunkley thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the voice of the playing group is being listened to and it is this voice that has pointed the bone at McCartney, Stringer, Hunter and Dunks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Dunkley's leaving doesn't have to be just one thing.

It's entirely feasible that he wanted to be super close to his girlfriend's parents, his best mates partner and kid, away from his controlling father, part of a mega deal and at a new club that doesn't have some cultural issues as far as he can tell all at once.

What I find interesting is that he didn't feel he could help lead the club to a better place.
    He might have also been under the impression that the footy department weren't as serious about addressing some of the challenges.
    I don't think we should dismiss that either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 'professionalism' smoke has been blowing pretty darn hot since the 2020 hub shenanigans. I think some of us have heard a lot of troubling things.

That Dunkley walked and Hunter was shoved out, under contract, for peanuts (and with us kicking in some of his contract apparently) speaks volumes.
    You have to ask the question why we can't or didn't address some of the behavioral challenges earlier?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You have to ask the question why we can't or didn't address some of the behavioral challenges earlier?
    Maybe we tried and this year they got worse?
    Or maybe Dunkley did try to voice those concerns and didn't feel his concerns were given the gravitas they should have?

Nobody knows for sure, but there is far too much smoke generated for there to be no fire at all.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Some huge runs in the Shield - Handscomb 281*, Renshaw 200*, Harper 132*, Harris 111 and Neser 136.

10. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we tried and this year they got worse?
    Or maybe Dunkley did try to voice those concerns and didn't feel his concerns were given the gravitas they should have?

Nobody knows for sure, but there is far too much smoke generated for there to be no fire at all.
    There's fire, however if Hunter has been through what I think he has I don't blame him for one second.

Maybe it got big on him the stress, but you would hope Dunks understands things aren't black and white.

I'm leaning towards it being an excuse for wanting to push #brandhotpocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Some huge runs in the Shield - Handscomb 281*, Renshaw 200*, Harper 132*, Harris 111 and Neser 136.
    I know you love cricket Lemmon but there is a time and place.

13. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There's fire, however if Hunter has been through what I think he has I don't blame him for one second.

Maybe it got big on him the stress, but you would hope Dunks understands things aren't black and white.

Zorko will look after him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Grantysghost, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually you raise a very good point, do we lack leaders?

Personally I'd be pushing Alex Keath. He worked the room like a master at a function I went to recently (won't mention what it was for in case I upset Jee).
    Josh Bruce might have some natural leadership in him too.

Macrae, I get he's a solid citizen and Bevo was trying to reward him but I think it's not his bag.
    The big question for me is - The Bont. I love him and think he's one of the greatest to pull on the jumper but he is our captain and on field leadership needs to go through him. He's far and away our best player but does that make him a good and strong leader?

I'm not for one second questioning his leadership. I'd have no idea. He obviously commands respect but he does seem a quiet type out on the field. Does he have it in him to command the troops? I think he's certainly capable of it but has he up to this point?

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think that there is likely some truth and or issues that needed to be resolved internally, but at the same time Dunkley leaving is 98% about money, and contract terms ($). Now you could argue that if we'd fixed stuff internally then he would have been staying, but Im not sure I buy that. The other thing I'd say is that its a fine line for a lot of clubs/teams in holding the internal stuff together.

Regardless, we haven't created a consistent culture or team since the premiership and thats been disappointing.

As mjp points out - we match up ok with teams like Geelong, and play some great footy in patches, but we just dont/cant do it for long enough, and rely too much on a star players being brilliant, than getting the collective effort of a team who are in synch and prepared to do all the team 1 & 2%ers

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is just another clue into how brand Dunkley thinks. tEaM

Post Thanks / Like

Actually you raise a very good point, do we lack leaders?

Personally I'd be pushing Alex Keath. He worked the room like a master at a function I went to recently (won't mention what it was for in case I upset Jee).
    Josh Bruce might have some natural leadership in him too.

Macrae, I get he's a solid citizen and Bevo was trying to reward him but I think it's not his bag.
    Given both players form in 2022 we need to ensure they are going to be in our best 22 before looking to place them as official leaders.

We made the mistake with Wallis and it would be silly to go down that path again.

21. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about an alternate take?

- Talented list
    - Made GF last year
    - We care for our players so gave Hunter so much support
    - Strong leadership was shown when he didn’t live up to his side, and when Dunkley also had to go.
    - Strong leadership was shown 2 years ago when Dunks was (reportedly) offered $800k per year by Essington (IE: maybe he just wanted to get big bucks… not “wanted out”?)
    - We had a down year but have addressed, at least to some degree, our structural issues
    - Who could’ve predicted Keath would play like a 60yr old this season?
    - Bont was inured since Rd 1

I think the questions need to be asked but last I heard this group aren’t punching each other at the restaurant. Or are they? I don’t hear rumours apart from mainstream media and to be honest, most of the “rumours” sound a bit “meh”.

Do we have enough “mongrel” and “never say die” in the squad? Dunno. I reckon you put Morris and M Boyd into our squad and you don’t catch us for a few years. We aren’t far off.